“Challenging!!” 5 of 5 stars

Attraction Details
Melbourne, Australia
“Challenging!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Walked the grind on a Sunday, plenty of people, but everyone was polite and moved over when necessary. I passed some people and some people passed me!

Best tips:
Take an extra shirt!
At least 1 litre of water required
And energy/chocolate bar really helps
Where appropriate clothing
Don't attempt if aren't reasonably fit!

Visited June 2013

Sidney, Canada
7 attraction reviews
“Workout PLUS!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

A great 1.5 hour workout for the whole body! Its a busy trail but everyone is good about accommodating faster hikers. Be prepared to work up a good sweat then take the gondola down.

Westmount, Quebec, Canada
16 attraction reviews
“It is a challenge,but well worth it.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

I had the day to kill and i wanted the challenge of climbing the Grind. I refused to spend the $45 necessary to take the gondola up. You have to be in shape to take this trail up to the top. It is a 2.8km hike up 2800 feet. Does not sound like much, but it certainly is when you get there. The first little bit was challenging. I thought i had reached at least the half way point only to see a sign telling me I was only at 1/4. I kept on. Where the steps were man made it was relatively easy because they were pretty much all the same height. The natural formation steps were of all different heights which made it a challenge.

Once i reached the top, the views were spectacular. The climb was invigorating and well worth it. Took me 1h 22min in all to ascend the mountain. Well worth the trip if you are in shape.

Atlanta, Georgia
21 attraction reviews
“It's a Challenge, you need to be ready before you take it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Trail detail - The Grouse Grind is steep up trail to Grouse Mountain. If you are not fit, it's not at all for you. Its 2.9km (1.8m) in length, it may be not an issue until you know its taking you to 859meter (2800) feet elevation on your feet. Its about 2830 stairs (as per their site says) and some rough climbing too on rocks.
Trails are having artificial and natural stairs most part but few patches are really tough where you need to find your way up (no stairs).
My experience was quiet challenging as I took it easy and started without breakfast or lunch at 1:30 PM, by the time I reached at top I had no life left in me, it took me 2 hours 45 minutes to reach top, first 1/4 mark was easy looking but still tiring and at this mark I was quite a relief thinking I have to cover only 1/4th now which I got to know once I climbed bit up and people were talking we just passed 1/4th and we need to go further 3/4 (it doesnt say 1/4th passed or remained). So first caution is you need enough energy have food some time before you start.
You will need ample of water (I would suggest atleast 2 bottles and take only couple of sips each time you feel drinking while climbing, it takes time to reach on top and you dont want to be out of water like me - I had only one that too very small bottle which finished at 1/4th mark).
People says you shouldnt attempt trekking down for return, however I feel it's doable however make sure you have company while you doing that and go very slow it is steep and sleeper at times. I didnt do it for reasons I dint had any company and no one was going down that route at 6:30 PM.
Last but not least - You will need to have proper shoes for trekking. You cant just walk in with party shoes or Sandals.

Now coming to better part -
Scenic view - the trail itself doesn't have much of scenery except woods all around.
I heard lot of people reviewing breath taking views from top, indeed it has however the skyride cables and skyride tower has blocked this view and may not be a best place for photography.
About Grouse mountain
There are other few things to do on top (eating, bird shows, bear scenic chair, eye of wind, skyride etc if your pocket is heavy you can pour something there :) )

Finally - If you really want to go on top and doesnt have stamina Grind is not for you take a gondola ride (Skyride) and come back.

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
3 attraction reviews
“Too expensive!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

I used to love doing the Grouse Grind when it was only $5 to ride the gondola down. Since the price was bumped up to $10 per gondola ride, I've stopped going. :(

Visited June 2012