“Tasty bulk eats for the young at heart!” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #69 of 296 Restaurants in North Vancouver
Cuisines: Hamburgers
North Vancouver
“Tasty bulk eats for the young at heart!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

This is a fun, surf themed dive bar type casual restaurant. The portions are very large. I really enjoyed my burger - I am guessing it was fresh and not a hockey puck frozen patty. My only complaint - my Guiness was too cold - the head was full of ice crystals like a slushy (it was during our February cold snap - even beer fridges were freezing). The friendly waitress took it back with apologies and I traded it for a generously sized glass of red wine.
This would be a great place for twentysomethings to meet their friends for cocktails and pub food.

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

North Vancouver, Canada
“Didn't stay”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

Went here because I'd heard good things about the food. I get that it's a surf-dude-themed restaurant (not sure what that has to do with North Van though) but still overall atmosphere was just a little too casual for me. I got put off by the untrained staff: server (super friendly and upbeat), as she spoke, leaning front upper thighs directly on my high table, a bit too close to my face. Also, first time ever seeing a cook sporting a large, wild beard.

Seating is odd and tight in a shack-styled room, dominated by on-screen waves. Menu choices are heavy on the wheat -- in a time when most restaurants are over that -- with no substitutions. Looks like a "chill place to kick back" but I couldn't get comfortable nor find anything I could have on the menu.

• Visited November 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Austin, Texas
“Good local fare without lines of tourists”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

We came here for dinner at the recommendation of a local at Grouse Mountain. The restaurant is very tiny (I am thinking there are no ADA laws in Canada. No wheelchair would fit inside the restaurant. We barely got a baby stroller inside!) and made to resemble a 60's California surfer bar. Beatles music (Helter Skelter album) played the entire time. Service was quick and good. We ordered bacon cheddar perogies for an appetizer, and we each got a different type of poutine ( a local fare of fries, different meat toppings, cheeese, and gravy to cover the entire mass) as an entree. The serving size is large, and 3 of the 4 of us left with a "to go" box. Unless you are starving, one order of poutine could easily satisfy two people.

The tab for 4 of us for the above mentioned food and 3 soft drinks plus an on-tap beer (in a huge glass!) was $78 bucks plus tip. Not cheap and not overly expensive either. Casual dining at its best.

The restaurant is located in North Vancouver in the city by the waterfront. We were there just as the sun was setting, and the view over the harbor is simply gorgeous.

Not easy to park on the street close to the restaurant, but there is a big parking lot at the end of the street with just a short walk to the restaurant. Be prepared to pay to park. Everywhere we went had this feature: no free parking.

Try Raglan's, and get the poutine. You won't be sorry!

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver, Canada
“what happened to this place?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We used to come here quite often, but this Saturday was completely screwed. It was not busy at all - both tables outside were waiting, and only two (including us) waiting inside. Two others were finishing and left shortly. 14 minutes after our order was placed we were quoted another 10 minutes waiting time. We came at 3pm and left hungry and frustrated at 3:25pm having paid $15 for 4 juices. Truly, they were less than 30% full and we did expect to have a quicker service.
Did they forget that "Bistro" is sort of "Fast"? Fries, burgers, poutine, quesadilla - was our order. Nor even started when we left. So disappointing!

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Vancouver, Canada
“Surprisingly good burger! Friendly wait staff.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Came in after seeing some positive reviews on Tripadvisor about this restaurant. They have a fairly limited menu and were also serving breakfast at the time. I think the decor is meant to imitate a beach shack and the vibe in there was friendly. The burgers come with certain options which increase in price (plain burger is $10, with cheese $11, bacon and cheese is $12 etc). The bun is ciabatta which was an interesting twist, and I really liked it. The meat was good and the taste of the burger was great - much better than I was expecting. The server was attentive and friendly. I will certainly be going back!

• Visited September 2013