“Whats going on at Calvins?” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Vancouver, BC
“Whats going on at Calvins?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Our group of eight went for dinner last night. Everyone enjoyed every single dish. Food was fresh and tasty. But no ambience here - no background music and pretty dead for a Saturday night. Service was okay but slow to get our drinks considering it was almost empty. We'll go back and try it again but I'm really not sure how it's lasted this long if last night was any indicator. Seeing as it was so quiet and were we a big group it would have been nice for the chef to come by our table and check in?

• Visited September 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

North Vancouver, Canada
“Gave it three tries... But no more- big disappointment.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012 via mobile

This cafe is fairly near my home, so I wanted to like it. The first time I went with a friend the food wasn't very good and the service was even worse. My coffee never got refilled at all. My friend had a eggshell in her eggs benny and the hollandaise was tasteless. The second time was about the same- not horrible but really nothing great. Finally I went for the last time on a Wednesday for lunch. My friend and I knew not to order the eggs benny again, so we tried the quiche. It was completely soggy and the Caesar salad was totally brown. Neither of us even ate any and when we complained about the salad being in edible, they didn't even remove it from our bill. I will never go back to this place!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
North Vancouver
“Charming place and excellent food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Calvin's is a real find -- a restaurant that really feels like "dining out" at a very reasonable price. Service was prompt and friendly, I was able to sit out on a patio not too close to traffic, and the meal was fresh and hot. I had schnitzel which came with spetzle and vegetables with a homemade mushroom sauce on the side. There were many other options, from vegetarian crepes to fresh seafood to steak. The house wine, for just $5 a glass, was quite good. All in all, an elegant meal in pleasant surroundings for just $27, including tax and tip. (I did not try the dessert, which I'll bet was good, as I understand the owner/chef is Swiss.)

• Visited September 2011
Vancouver
“Calvin's is a Terrific Addition to the Parkgate Area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

My partner and I are so happy to have Calvin's in our neighbourhood. We've been four times in this summer- once for brunch and three times for dinner. The eggs benny for brunch was delicious and I love that they give a choice of one egg or two. We really enjoy sitting on the patio and it's a bonus that the waiters provide blankets to take the edge off the evening chill. Dinner's were good. We've had pastas, fish and a really yummy schnitzel with spatzle. My partner always orders the dinner special. These specials are creative and have ranged from good to great. The very best thing, though, is that you can get a decent glass of wine for $5. We love it.

• Visited August 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
The Road
“A Food Oasis on the Mount Seymour Parkway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

It's an awfully long way from Deep Cove to Lonsdale, but until Calvin's opened recently, where could you eat in that stretch? There are a couple of pubs that serve okay food, but what if you're with kids or otherwise don't want to go to a pub? Anyway, this place is a welcome addition. It's certainly nothing fancy, but neither is it utilitarian. It's a nice, small restaurant, with a good, small menu. Breakfast is the strong point here, lunches are good, dinner is okay.

One question: the menu makes a point of specifying that several of the dishes involve prawns from Chile, but I'm not so sure that fish farming in that country is done responsibly. Is it? If not, then maybe Chilean prawns aren't the best choice.

• Visited August 2011