“Average place to stay.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Grouse Inn

You added Grouse Inn to your Saves list
Grouse Inn
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1633 Capilano Road, North Vancouver, British Columbia V7P 3B3, Canada   |
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in North Vancouver
Lethbridge, Canada
“Average place to stay.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

We booked a one bedroom suite here it was average said one bedroom but was divided by a sliding curtain, and half wall and no door so not sure i would call it a one bedroom suite. The kitchen was ok apartment size stove, full size fridge, microwave, coffee maker, and dishwasher, and had pots and pans and utensils. Fold out couch was ok for the kids bed was ok, did not notice any bugs as some of the other reviews have said. Room did smell a little musty, pool was nice for the kids, the front desk lady was not fun to deal with dealt with the blond lady with the accent, no sense of humour and not very helpful, seems she did not like her job, id say to owners find someone who does she is doing you no favours by keeping her there. The tv in room was old tube style didnt know hotels still used those only hotel ive stayed at in last 4 years that still has old style tv and its small. Could hear everything above people walking and stomping around, girls laughing and partying, sleep quality was effected by this. Shower did not have much water pressure, and the restaurant that is right next door was always out of everything good no gravy for poutine, no wings, no this or that. Over all pretty average and dated hotel nothing spectacular pool was best part.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Edmonton, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

I'm telling you right now, do not even consider wasting your time or money here! This is going to be a long review, but I really suggest you read it!! My mom and I stayed here because it was close to many activities we were interested in, and it was only a bus ride to down town. The reviews were good, and the pictures looked nice, but I wouldn't be surprised if those pictures are from when the hotel first opened. I am also guessing that all the amazing reviews were written by the hotel staff! When you first get to the hotel, you notice that it is very run down. The buildings have patches of siding missing, and instead of fixing it they covered it up with plywood. The outside also has a very odd mold smell that carries onto the rooms. We tried staying in three rooms here. The first room had that odd mold smell right when we entered. It wasn't must either, it smelled like the while room was rotting! We took the issue up with the lady at the front desk, and of course she just looked at us like we were crazy and wouldn't help, so we just asked for a refund. She had told us that since we booked through a travel agency they couldn't refund our money. We would have to go through our travel agency to get our money back. We asked to speak to a manager and the lady told us we could not speak to him because he wasn't in on weekends. She wouldn't even call him for us. So, we got put in a junior suit that's in a detached house looking building behind the hotel. It was a smoking room, but the smoke smell was better than mold. We looked around to find that this room had stained bedding!! We had to go to the front desk and get the bedding ourself since the lady at the front would not help because their room service was not in at that time. Also, I noticed a ring from the complimentary soap on the bathroom sink that the previous customer had left. I had to clean that up myself! I had also noticed that the majority of people who were staying here were very loud and drunk. This just seems like a cheap place for people to stay after a night of partying. Anyway, we stayed in this room until we were moved to a regular room the next morning. We requested to look at the rooms so we could make sure we were getting a good one. We found one that seemed way nicer. It was mostly clean and didn't smell of mold. Although, when we were back in this room after a day of sight seeing, my mom and I felt VERY itchy. This freaked me out and I did not want to touch ANYTHING in that room! And when I thought things couldn't get worse with this hotel, GIANT flying ants started coming in through the pot lights in the ceiling! We stuffed the lights with towels, and hoped that was the end of the bugs, only for them to start coming in through little cracks in the corners of walls, windows, the door the next morning. At this point we were furious. We called our travel agent and told them what was going on, and they instructed us to talk to the manager since it was now Monday and he should be in. When we told the manager of our issues he just looked at us and said "oh really" in a extremely sarcastic tone. And I was very surprised that he agreed to refund all our money, even for the two nights we had stayed. This made me believe he has dealt with this before and didn't want to deal with any hassle. That's just the thing, when you tell the staff about any issues they just stand there like a robot. It seems like everyone there knows that this is a crappy hotel, you just don't mention it if you want to get paid. Oh, and not to mention, the dry cereal breakfast isn't my idea of a included cold breakfast. This place is just a health hazard that should be torn down! If you want a good hotel in this area just go down the street to the North Vancouver Hotel. Unlike the Grouse Inn , or shall I say the GROSS INN, the North Vancouver Hotel is very clean, they have friendly staff and their HOT BREAKFAST BUFFET is A-MAZ-ING :)

Room Tip: We moved from this hotel to the North Vancouver Hotel down the street. It has nice rooms and amazing...
Nanaimo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014 via mobile

Booked a room for 1 night. Second time at the motel. First time was alright 4 years ago. This time not so much :( had a cabin room. It smelt so bad. Smell which penetrated our clothes witch sucked as it was our first night of holidays. Its old. Holes in the curtains stains every where. Thank goodness we didn't get back to the room until late and up and gone early in the morning. Thankfully! Breakfast was not good. Very stale tasting bread and pastries. I got what i paid for. No coffee. Would i return. Possibly if i got an updated room but would walk away from the cabin in a heartbeat.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

Check in clerk was rude and very unhelpful, not a pleasant check in due to the strong smell of urine in the main office. If this wasn't the only hotel available this past weekend, there is NO way we would have checked in. upon first impression the rooms seemed pleasant enough. I was not impressed with the smell in my room the next morning though... it was like all of a sudden the febreeze in our room wore off and we were left with a gross smell in there too. Maid service wasn't very helpful, my room had a full garbage the whole time.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces

1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

This is the worst hotel i have ever stayed in! I changed rooms three times, the first one smelled so bad of mold you could smell it before you even opened the door, the second room was so dirty the bedding had huge stains and they looked fresh, the third room looked and smelled better but in the evening i killed 6 carpenter ants that were coming out of a hole in a pot light had to stuff the lights with towels to keep them out! When i asked to talk to the manager i was told i couldn't because he had the day off??? when i did finally talk to the manager he was very rude to me! he did finally give me a refund and tell me to get out of his hotel. I do not recommend anyone stay here if you need a nice hotel to stay in north Vancouver stay at the North Vancouver hotel it was very nice! hell even a cardboard box on the street would be better then the Grouse hotel!

Room Tip: Go to North Vancouver Hotel
Nanaimo, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

I booked a suite and a room for myself and 5 of my children while we were attending an event in downtown Vancouver. I didn't know what to expect because the rates were so low and included a free buffet breakfast and free parking. I was pleasantly surprised to find that although the rooms are definitely dated, they are in good condition, very clean, and very comfortable. The breakfast was adequate and had a decent variety of choices. It only takes 5 minutes to drive to downtown Vancouver (10 minutes during rush hour) so its very convenient to getting to anything you could want to do in the city. We'll be attending the same event next year and I will book this place again.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

This motel is very old and dated BUT the price is reasonable and location convenient. Continental breakfast is not bad and the room was basically clean. Most front desk people here are not friendly and maid service not great. They made our bed and left clean towels but didn't give us more coffee or coffee cups. We had a kitchenette and the drinking glasses are more like juice glasses.

Room Tip: You wouldn't want a room on the Marine Drive side but most others are set back enough that road...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Been to Grouse Inn? Share your experiences!