“not everything that shines is gold” 2 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Richmond, Canada
“not everything that shines is gold”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Over the past 9 years the Flying Beaver used to be one of my favorite haunts especially for Sunday brunch. Regretfully as time passed the value of their Loyalty Cards diminished to the point where it was senseless to devote time and effort for such a worthless recognition of patron support. I no longer support this establishment given that the quality of the food has also fallen off and the service also is nothing to brag about either

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Vancouver, Canada
“Not For Families- Rude Service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

If you think that this is a good place to have a bite with the kids before catching the plane, think again. The servers were annoyed that we brought a child, were unaccommodating and downright rude.
Our server told us that my two year old son could not bring his drink into the restaurant. Fair enough- don't want competition. So I asked for one of their glasses to put the drink into. She said "no, you have to throw it away" and walked off. My son had a stomach ache and the drink was meant to sooth it. We were a long drive from home. So I ordered a small orange juice, I emphasized small and explained that it was for my son. She bought back a very tall, narrow glass of juice filled to the brim. My son immediately spilled it, of course. This set a bad tone for the rest of the meal. The servers left the soaking wet napkins used to clean up the juice on the cramped table and floor and never offered to help. Not once did they ask how our meal was or how we were doing. My son, who is normally relaxed in restaurants was restless and uncomfortable, we all felt the glares from the wait staff. I was nervous so I kept smiling at the staff and trying to get their attention... there was no kids menus and they didn't offer any half portions of food. As a family we negotiated splitting our plates instead of ordering one full order. Finally we ordered a side of yams fries and an extra piece of fish for one of our meals. The waitress served our food but forgot our son's side order of yam fries. She said she thought we cancelled it. We politely told her not to worry. When we were done we were not offered tea, coffee or dessert; we felt like they just wanted to get rid of us. To make the ending perfect, my son started crying under the stress, which triggered a barfing attack (remember I mentioned the drink to sooth his stomach, the one that the server took away?). He vomited all down the front and inside of my dress. The staff all saw this but didn't offer any help, napkins, dish clothes- nada. They just watched us impassively as we excused ourselves to go to the bathroom in embarrassment.
To give them some credit, the food was good. And the servers all looked glamorous. Maybe they should spend less time looking good, and more time treating their customers with some care and attention. The long drive home in a hot car in a barfy dress was unbearable. What's the ending of this tale? One day these gorgeous girls will have kids of their own and karma will have it's sweet way with them.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Valencia, Spain
“Great venue, average grub.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Right by the south terminal, the FB is on the river with float planes coming in right next to you.
Friendly people on hand but the food was typical pub fare. Greasy & average.
Great place to kick back for a few pints with friends with a unique view from the deck.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
B.C.
“Upbeat place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

You can be entertained or just relax. The staff and patrons always seem to be in a happy mood. The food is good but to ask is this the best meal I've ever had in a restaurant, it's a great pub, not a 5 star place. It's on the Fraser River, on a calm evening it is so beautiful and when the float planes come in or leave it's always interesting.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
“Fresh, delicious, healthy food in a pub!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

The food at this waterfront pub is BETTER than the food in many (very good) Vancouver restaurants. The salmon wrap is AMAZING. Salads have a variety of tasty, original ingredients and the portions are generous. The sunny patio has comfy seating and very good service. Sun umbrellas are the only thing that would make this place even better than it already is. Views are fabulous - watch floatplanes landing and taking off. Enjoy the sun reflecting off the water. Have another beverage and be glad you're alive!

• 5 of 5 stars Food