“Friendly staff, convenient location and great beds!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of River Rock Casino Resort

You added River Rock Casino Resort to your Saves list
River Rock Casino Resort
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8811 River Rd, Richmond, British Columbia V6X 3P8, Canada (Bridgeport)   |
Ranked #5 of 24 Hotels in Richmond
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London
“Friendly staff, convenient location and great beds!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

We stayed for one night, having got off a long haul flight with children and wanted to rest before heading out of Vanoucver. We had heard that there was a swimming pool with slides (something the kids love on holiday). This hotel is in a convenient location, the staff were excellent from the valet parking to the bell boys, and the beds were amazing (truly!). The suite was comfortable and spacious, and there was a fridge and Nespresso maker.

The buffet breakfast was comprehensive (we were a little surprised to be asked to pay up front, but she did add to our room bill when asked), and the swimming pool was freezing (the kids only lasted a couple of minutes). Our only concern was that the casino was of great prominence, but we found that we could avoid it with the childen without too much difficulty (of course, if you are there for the casinos, this is the hotel for you).

Overall, we would stay again.. if simply to sleep on crisp sheets on a comfortable bed..

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Roland M, General Manager at River Rock Casino Resort, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Dear LondonFamily88,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience with your family. I am glad that you and your family enjoyed the amenities we provide including the Buffet, Pool and River Rock beds. We hope you and your family are able to join us again.

Roland Monteiro

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
  • Korean first
San Francisco Ca
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Our stay was for 5 nights from July 20th to 25th. With rave reviews, a casino and a general manager (OK, maybe his assistant, but still) that takes time to respond to every review, whether it is a compliment, a complaint or comment, I didn't see how I could choose another hotel. But unfortunately it didn't turn out the perfect stay that I have envisioned.

The biggest problem we had was their lighting and air condition/thermostat system. I applauded the hotel for doing their part for conserving energy and resources but it was a huge inconvenience for us.

Once we walked in the room, there was a slot to put the key in and the lights and the air would come on. So one card controls all. Once you pull the card, the lights and air will be out. The problem on our first night was that air conditioning was so loud that my wife and son couldn't sleep. My wife had to get up at 1:00am to pull the card so it would be off and they could go to sleep. So now it was no air and no light. That was fine until the next morning.

When we are staying at a casino resort (the reason I chose River Rock), I always wake up at 5 and go down to the casino to play slot while my wife and son are still sleeping. Because everything was off, I had to rely on the small light from my cell phone to use the toilet, wash up and get dressed. As you can imagine it was a big hassle. We are in Vancouver, not in a remote village on a mountain top in northwestern China.

Then we found out that the front desk can call the maintenance to turn off the air only at night while leaving the electricity on. That sounded good to me. So I called around 10:30pm and the air was off. The next morning I called to have the air turned back on. Here came another problem. The temperature stayed at 27C (81F) the whole morning. It was so stuffy that my wife had problem breathing. After many many phone calls it was still not fixed. My wife gave both the manager on duty and me (mine much longer) an earful. After the maintenance guy was summoned to the room it was finally fixed.

To make matter worse, the ice machine on our floor was not working the whole time we were there. So each time we needed ice, I had to go down to the next floor to get ice. One day, mabye two. But 5 days? that was totally inexcusable.

We tried the theme dinner buffet on Tuesday night. But with limited choice of food and the food not that great, it was definitely not worth the $24.99 they charged. The breakfast buffet (complementary of the hotel after the thermostat mess) was much better.

The whole stay was saved from being a complete disaster by the great staff of River Rock. From valet, front desk, housekeeping to casino and restaurants worker, they were all friendly, felpful and pleasant. We were always greeted warmly everywhere in the hotel.

For the time that we were not in the room sweating or finding our way, we thoroughly enjoyed the spectacular city of Vancouver. No wonder Vancouver is always on the top 10 best city to live list. Both my wife and I fell in love with it. Vancouver has to be the healthiest,. cleanest, greenest, slimest, safest, the most polite and courteous city that we have ever been to. We are from San Francisco and we were amazed to see how clean the streets of Vancouver are. I heard car honking about 5 times all together. We did not see a single policeman in the six days that we were there. When I wanted to change lane, the other drivers always let me. Motorists always yield to pedestrians. Pedestrians rarely jaywalk. My wife weighs only 100 pounds but she felt fat seeing all those slim girls. The weather was so good she didn't need to use the skin cream she brought. There are bicyclists everywhere. There is a wild bike lane smacked right in a busy downtown intersection.

We did a bike ride going around Stanley Park. You can ride leisurely while taking in the sceneries.The bikes can be rented from Spokes Bike Rentals at the corner of W Georgia and Denman. It was inexpensive and conveniently located near the entrance to Stanley Park. We also did the Sea to Sky Train tour to Whistler and the Indian Arm Luncheon Cruise. We also visited the Richmond Night Market which happens to be a 5 minute walk from River Rock ( I will review those attractions separately).

We will definite go back to Vancouver. But we will find a hotel downtown and then just walk over to Edgewater Casino.

Room Tip: If you choose River Rock, even though it is a little more expansive, book the room at River Rock Cas...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Roland M, General Manager at River Rock Casino Resort, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear chukking,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to complete this review. Valuable feedback like yours enables us to further improve our service levels and the variety of products we offer. Honest commentary from the Guests' perspective is our greatest tool in our pursuit of service excellence.

I am sorry to hear of your negative experience at the River Rock in regards to the air conditioning and electricity saving. I also appreciate your understanding that the hotel is committed to green policies for the benefits of everyone in our community. Your feedback about the buffet quality will be discussed with our executive chef to ensure that we cater to a variety of taste and guest preferences. I also have to apologize for the inconvenience with the Ice Machine not working during your stay. Unfortunately it was an unexpected machine failure that needed some time to be fixed. Meanwhile, I am glad that you had positive interactions with our staff and that you enjoyed your time in Vancouver.

Please contact myself directly the next time you come to the Resort. I would be happy to make any sort of arrangements you may require so that your next visit is a great one! Thank you for your patronage.

Fort McMurray, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

This was my first time at this property, and I was impressed.

We visited this location to attend a wedding. The location was convenient to the airport, Richmond Mall, and the train was easily accessible.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. The rooms were clean and comfortable. I usually have a difficult time sleeping in hotels as most beds are uncomfortable. Not the case with this hotel! The beds were extremely comfortable and the pillows were amazing (I would liked to have purchased a couple..hindsight is 20/20).

We spent an evening in the back patio area... lower flying aircraft caused quite a bit of noise, but it was short lived and not that much of an issue since we were outside and expected it. We were surprised that you couldn't hear it from your room.

The buffet was good and had a good selection. A little pricey for a lunch buffet ($52.00 for 2 ppl) we thought. The burgers in the food fair located in the casino were delicious

Overall a very pleasant stay. We will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask to stay on the East side of the resort with a view overlooking the Marina or with a balcony.
Dear TMC38,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. I appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your experience at the River Rock. Here at the River Rock we go over and above for our guests and it seems like you found our staff helpful and accomodating to your needs.

Our beds at the River Rock are specially made for us and there is the availablility to purchase them new and ship to your home. If you are ever interested, give us a call and we can look into it for you.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to have you stay with us again soon.

BC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

pros
No complaints with the casino, They had a craps table so I was happy. Room was clean. Planes fly right over top of the hotel, no joke maybe 300m above the hotel and yet they were not loud in the rooms at all. Kind of equivellent to a loud furnace fan kicking in, and it only lasts a couple of seconds. So the sleep was fine. comfy bed. Good location, jump right on to the train. Breakfast buffet was $15 and good.

cons
A mug of draft was $9 with tip (I think $8.65 without tip) Plus it wasn't even a pint. And crappy mass produced beer. No micro brew on tap. Asked why its so expensive. The person working there said its a liability issue, don't want their customers getting drunk and losing all their money. So we did't drink any booze other than the one beer we bought. No happy hour, no drink specials, nothing. We could have flown and stayed in vegas for the same price and had free booze and cheaper meals. But I guess this is a good place for the day or maybe just one night. Freindly staff.

minor stuff
The welcome information package in the room really lacks. For instance there was no complete map showing where everything was in the hotel. Never did find the swimming pool. had to keep asking where this and that was located. Ice machine broken the whole time we were there. Things like that, just minor stuff.

Dear gottagetoutofhereBC, '

I appreciate your honesty in your review regarding your stay at River Rock. I am glad you enjoyed the location of the resort as well as your time spent in our rooms. We want to make our guests happy and provide top of the line amenities in our rooms.

I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your time at our Food and Beverage Outlets. I will pass on your feedback about more micro bew beers to our F&B manager who will be able to look into that issue. Also, our welcome information package will also be looked at again if our guests do not find it helpful. Again, I appreciate your feedback.

Thank you again for taking the time to give us your feedback and we hope to have you come stay with us again soon.

Duncan, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We had booked a one bedroom suite; upon check-in, we were upgraded to a two bedroom penthouse suite. Stunning! Very quiet; extremely comfortable room; friendly staff; free parking; free wi-fi; easy access to downtown Vancouver via the Canada Line light rail transit (which stops right at the hotel); and a great buffet breakfast.

Dear DuncanMusicman,

Thank you for your wonderful review. I am so happy we were able to upgrade you and that you and your guest enjoyed our two bedroom penthouse. Our commitment is to provide superior products and services that set us apart from our competitors and we appreciate all the feedback you have provided. We hope you can stay with us again soon.

Kamloops, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

A great place to stay. So convenient to have the skytrain right there. Clean. Comfortable beds. I thought the airplane traffic or casino noise might keep me up at night but it was very quiet. Daniel, bell boy, was very nice and brought a personalized birthday card and treats for my son. Pool was great for the kids. My only complain is that you pay for the buffet (and tip) before you even sit down! It should be after. Also the buffet was just 'okay', but price was reasonable. Oatmeal was a dripping mess. Otherwise, will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Tugboatgirl,

Thank you for your review. I appreciate you taking the time to tell us your experience at the River Rock and how you enjoyed your stay with you children. I hope you son enjoyed his birthday with us! I will pass on your feedback to the Buffet regarding your experience. Thank you again and we hope to have you stay with us soon.

Prince George, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

1st time staying here. Down for a quick getaway. Loved the property. All suites. Very clean and comfortable beds. Had the dinner buffet. Lots of everything and very good quality. Good coffee bar for quick breakfasts. Being right on the Canada Line rapid transit allowed us to easily get to either downtown Vancouver or Richmond. Casino was lots of fun. Good live music. No negatives I can think of. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Roland M, General Manager at River Rock Casino Resort, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear Allan S,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to complete our online survey. Valuable feedback like yours enables us to further improve our service levels and the variety of products we offer. Our commitment is to provide superior products and services that set us apart from our competitors and we appreciate all the feedback you have provided. We hope to see you again soon.

Roland Monteiro

Been to River Rock Casino Resort? Share your experiences!