“Great stay, nice view” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pacific Gateway Hotel at Vancouver Airport

You added Pacific Gateway Hotel at Vancouver Airport to your Saves list
Pacific Gateway Hotel at Vancouver Airport
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3500 Cessna Drive, Richmond, British Columbia V7B 1C7, Canada (Formerly Delta Vancouver Airport)   |
Ranked #9 of 24 Hotels in Richmond
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Orlando, FL
“Great stay, nice view”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2006

First I would like to say that 9 months prior to my trip when I booked I was concerned about some of the reviews saying there was no AC so I contacted the hotel and the manager emailed me right away explaining that they were adding AC and that he would make sure we had one of the rooms that were upgraded. He was so nice and helpful and I was so impressed with him.

My husband and I checked into the Delta on the day that the "liquid items" became an issue on the flights so it was a long and harrowing day of flying and the airline had lost ALL of our luggage. After checking into our room on the top floor we enjoyed the view and then had dinner at Elephant and Castle...great meal and a wonderful view of the river. We asked that if the airline arrived with our luggage no matter what time of night please bring them up to us...well about 2 am I was asleep and I heard a noise and looked up to see that they had quietly placed the luggage in our room for us. It was like Christmas waking up to our luggage. Everyone was so friendly on staff and the breakfast although a bit steep in cost was the best breakfast I have EVER had. Everything was fresh and hot and although we chose the buffet you felt that the food was cooked just for you. I still think about that meal. Croissants were the best I ever had. and great selection.

• Liked — Great beds and view
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Vancouver, BC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2006

I won this hotel on hotwire and was quite happy, as it seemed like it was going to be a super place to stay. We needed to be in Richmond for 2 nights on business and this was about a 5 min drive to where we had to be.
Check in was easy and quick. They offered to us an upgrade to a nicer room for $20/night more. I decided to do that, as I had heard the lower level rooms were not quite as nice as the upgraded ones. If I wanted the next step up, with free internet, it was $35/night more. I just opted for the $20 upgrade at this time.
We used the pool a lot. At first it seems small, but once you are in it, it is quite large. The best part is it is about 10-12 feet deep at the one end, which makes for great fun for the kids to do jumps and dives. There are tons of lounge chairs and its quite sunny there, so the pool was a gorgeous 85 degrees, even in the evening.
We had room service both evenings and it was okay. Nothing extremely 'wow' but nothing terrible. Was good for a quick bite and reasonably priced for room service. Breakfast seemed very overpriced though, as it usually is at hotels.
The room was small, but adequate for a couple of nights. Large king bed with duvet. Desk and other typical hotel furnishings.
The first night was wonderful.
The second night was a different story. The first problem was it took 25 mins to get a hold of room service (calling them, calling the front desk, waiting for calls back,etc...). Then, around 11pm I was woken up with the noise of people entering the room next door. I went back to sleep and then was woken up again with phone conversations (I could make out every word they said), showers, tv,etc.. I could even hear them 'using' the washroom and when one person let go of some gas (and then them laughing about it). This was all happening around 1am. At 4am, in came their wake up call, which I could hear crystal clear. As I was trying to get back to sleep, I could hear another shower happening, toilet flushing, another phone call being made. I was so exhausted and simply could not sleep through this noise.
I have stayed at many 4 and 5 star hotels over the years. I have also had to bunk in at a couple of 1 and 2 stars, and never had a noise problem like this before. The walls are paper thin. I think the walls in my own home are more insulated.
We had to get up at 7am and I felt like a zombie. I had about 2 hours sleep and was not impressed, as I had to go spend the day on business. I did complain to the front desk and they gave me the $20 per night for the upgrade back, and also credited an in room movie we watched, but somehow that $50 didn't seem worth the lack of sleep and having to listen to what we did. My daughter was also awake most of the night. Never ever again will I stay there. LOVED the pool, but that was it! But didn't love it enough to stay there again and be awake all night!
I do expect to hear the odd door open, maybe a faint ring of a telephone, but not every bodily function of the person next door! Gross!

• Liked — Pool
  • Disliked — Noise Level!
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't stay here if you want to get some sleep!
  • Stayed September 2006
Wildwood, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2006

Great location, adjacent to the airport (but so quiet you never were bothered by plane noise) and within driving distance of Vancouver and the surrounding area. Nice sized room, comfy king-sized bed, down comforter, and fluffy pillows; fantastic view of Mt. Baker on clear days; good breakfast restaurant; helpful staff; all made the stay more pleasant. Our first night's room, although on a non-smoking floor, had a smoky odor to it, but a room change corrected that problem. The washroom could stand a bit of updating, but that would be my only complaint with the room overall. The street entrance is a bit complicated, but after a couple of times in and out, we learned the route. Harbor seals can be seen in the river channel below; what a treat!
Overall, I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to any traveler.

• Liked — Great location
  • Disliked — Street entrance is a bit tricky
  • Tips/Secrets — Upgrade to the 10th floor for hi-speed internet & better bed!
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hong Kong
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2006

We spent three nights at this Hotel. The rooms are rather small for the price, even though we got a "premier" room. It's an older establishment, but well maintained and the staff are very good.
We had a problem with the room and it was remedied immediately. There is nothing in the immediate area of the hotel, so we took the taxi to the Richmond Center Mall ($10 each way).
This is a good Hotel for the Business Traveller, for a conference or for a lay-over. The airport is very close by. Overall our stay was satisfactory, and we have no major complaints.

• Liked — close to Airport
  • Disliked — small rooms
  • Tips/Secrets — Great if you are on business or want a layover near the airport
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bucks
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2006

My wife & I stayed at the Delta in July 2006 for a couple of nights before and after an Alaskan cruise . Our main reason for this was the convenient location to the airport and the free shuttle service which proved to run like clockwork. The room was comfortable and clean. The restaraunt , which we used for breakfast , and the Elephant & Castle pub/restaurant set on the riverside both provided excellent food & drink at reasonable prices. The best point, however, was the extremely friendly staff (especially the concierge) who always went "the extra mile" to look after us and we would definitely reccomend this hotel as great value

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Disliked — Faulty lift
  • Tips/Secrets — Upgrade to top floor
Vancouver, BC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2006

We stayed at the hotel to escape the heat and a loud party next to our house in Vancouver.

Parking is $2/hour up to a max of $10/24hour period. The hotel is close to the airport but far away enough that the noise from planes is minimal. It is located next door to a public transit hub. Very nice if you want a cheap trip into Vancouver/Downtown.

We stayed in a "Premier" room. AC worked well and the room was large, with free high-speed internet. Bathroom large and clean, with average towels and very nice toiletries. Nice white robes in the closet.

The bed was the most comfortable hotel bed I have ever stayed in. It was firm with a nice pillowtop. I couldn't feel my partner's movements.

If you can, try to get a room away from the elevators. The chime is quite loud and kept me awake for a short time. Also, people checking out of the hotel at 5:00am were having loud conversations by the elevator as they left.

We didn't try the pool or nearby pub, so can't comment.

The bed made it worth the price for us.

• Liked — The beds
  • Disliked — The parking fees
Harrogate, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2006

I was transferred to this hotel when the one I was originally intended to stay had overbooked & what a treat it turned out to be.
The rooms was super with views over the marina. I had a huge (very comfy) bed, bath robe, iron, coffee maker, hairdryer, clock-radio & bathroom with super toiletries.
There was 24 hour room service & the Elephant & Castle did great & reasonably priced meals.
There are a number of bus stops right at the main entrance which makes it very easy to travel to Vancouver City Centre. Meaning that this need not be just used for the airport but also for city breaks.
Another nice touch was a welcome voice mail recieved just after checking in.

• Stayed May 2006

Been to Pacific Gateway Hotel at Vancouver Airport? Share your experiences!