“Great with a caveat...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Fairmont Vancouver Airport

You added Fairmont Vancouver Airport to your Saves list
Fairmont Vancouver Airport
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3111 Grant McConachie Way | PO Box 23798, Richmond, British Columbia V7B 1X9, Canada   |
Hotel deals
GreenLeadersSilver level
Vancouver, Canada
“Great with a caveat...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stayed here prior to leaving on a short vacation as we had an early morning flight. The room was very good. I'm not a fan of the "open bathroom" concept, but I'm sure other people find this to be just fine. If traveling as a single or a couple, probably fine, but with kids it is a bit of a pain--being able to lock the doors into the bathroom would be a nice compromise.
My one caveat on the property is that we were unable to access wireless in our room. The signal was ok if you went further down the hallway, but then there was nowhere to sit down. I ended up in the lobby to download a couple of vacation books and to check into our flight because there was no wireless signal in our room. I spoke to the person at the front desk, and although she tried to be helpful, there was little that could be done. She offered to move us to another room, but our family was already settled in, and that would have been a lot of trouble. I will just say that, for $300 per night, I expect there to be excellent wifi service in the room, and that fell short for us.
We were able to take the Canada Line to the hotel and it was a pleasure to head downstairs to our flight in the morning.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (336)
Villanova, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Honestly did not get to take advantage of much because we got in late and left early BUT - the hotel and room were beautiful and very comfortable - the food was excellent - had a 6am flight out and it was SUCH a pleasure to leave the room check out and go down the escalator right into the airport having to be there at 4am for a 6am flight. Not cheap

Room Tip: beds were SUPER comfortable - looking for the same mattress to replace mine at home
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
FairmontYVR, Director of Sales at Fairmont Vancouver Airport, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear ssk1256,

Thank you very much for your recent review on Trip Advisor. We are pleased to hear your stay with us met your expectations. Much like yourself, we also love our location: directly above the United States departure gates, 99 steps to the nearest check in counter. In regards to our mattresses, they are available at www.fairmontstore.com if you were interested in purchasing one of your own. Please let us know when you are traveling through YVR in the future as we would be delighted to assist with any future reservation requests you may have.

Warmest wishes for a happy and healthy 2013,

South Pole
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

It is easy to see why the Fairmont Vancouver Airport won the Skytrax award for best airport hotel in North America. The property stands out within the Fairmont group and does the airport hotel concept almost perfectly- unbeatable location, efficient and warm service, comfortable room and attractive aesthetics. My stay here was an unexpectedly welcome and tranquil interruption to a long journey.

The location can't be beat, with the property seamlessly designed into the terminal complex. No need to wait out in the cold for a shuttle and a 15 minute drive, the Fairmont's entrance is located right by US departures.

The building itself is extremely well designed. The lounge and restaurant are graced with floor-to-ceiling windows that offer stunning views of planes and the mountains in the background. The rooms too offer large windows and great views that will be appreciated by any plane watcher.

Beyond the location, the high quality, efficient and warm service stood out. I've stayed in many Fairmonts and the Vancouver Airport staff were the best I've seen. I was greeted warmly upon entry and directed to check-in, where I was met by an equally warm staff member. Throughout my stay, I found any encounter with staff gracious, kind and cheerful. Bell porters would stand out of your way and assist you in lifts, the telephone receptionist would greet me by name and when I made a request for a toothbrush, it arrived within 3 minutes.

When you are stressed after a long plane journey, efficiency matters and I found every step of my stay at the Fairmont Vancouver Airport handled with no hassle and in extremely quick time. Check-out took less than 1 minute, there were no lines at any point and any request I had was fulfilled at best possible time.

The room itself was above average for what one would expect at a 4-5 star property. The bed was extremely comfortable (I managed a solid 9 hours sleep) with exquisite soft pillows and a high-end pillow-top mattress. This was complimented by a work desk with two chairs, 44"+ flat screen TV, vanity and lounge chair. The bathroom was double-size with separate large walk-in shower, bathtub and toilet. Amenities were what you would expect at this class with housecoats, bathroom amenities and stationary.

I didn't take advantage of the facilities, but I have heard good things about the spa, gym and pool.

One constructive criticism I would have is that I thought the breakfast was average at best. The buffet offered the usual omelette station, standard hot items (bacon, sausage, hasbrowns, pancakes, french toast) and fruit, breads, pastries etc. A greater selection of cold cuts and freshly squeezed orange juice would have made it better.

Room Tip: If you're a plane watcher, make sure to request a room that overlooks the airport terminal for g...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Dear Tangan,

Thank you kindly for writing such a wonderful review on Trip Advisor. We love how you have noted our recent Skytrax award; moreover, as the New Year is now underway, Skytrax is looking for entries to be submitted for the 2013 awards. We will ensure to notify the above mentioned teams on the successful service they provided on your most recent stay. Please allow us to assist you with any future reservation requests you may have when passing through the Vancouver International Airport.

Warmest regards,

North Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I love the location of this hotel for those flights that leave at/before dawn. This time around it was our home before a 6AM flight. Nothing better than waking up and rolling down the escalator and to the check-in counter.

Hotel arrival was smooth, and since I was going to be parking my car in the long-term lot the valet allowed us ample time to leave the car at the front door so we could check-in and bring the luggage in the room. A quick drive to drop the car in the long-term lot, then a shuttle back it was a breeze. They do have some rates that combine parking as well, but my corp. rate was a much better deal overall, and the bus/shuttle isn't a big deal... it comes about every 5-15 mins.

A glass of milk and bedtime treat were also sent for my 2.5 year old daughter traveling with us, which was appreciated and help get everyone settled in.

Great beds, liked the room. This time we had a south-facing room, which was nice, although I do prefer the north-facing rooms as its a better view.

457khz,

Thank you very much for writing a lovely review about The Fairmont Vancouver Airport on Trip Advisor. We are very glad to hear that the transition to and from the hotel was a breeze and are pleased you highlighted just how close we are to the check in counters. Please notify our team when you are traveling through the Vancouver International Airport in the future as we would love to assist with any future reservation requests; as well as send up some more cookies,

Warmest regards,

Abbotsford, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

a great way to start the vacation, expensive but the service and quality is what you pay for and you get it! The most comfortable bed I have ever slept in and wonderful service at the reception desk and the restaurant and bar makes me go back every time we leave town.

Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Flying in and out of Vancouver- especially to Asia this is a great place to rest up and relax. The pool is one of those swim against the current and one of the two vents were out of commission. The pool itself is tiny- hot tub fine. Rooms are a good size although coming here over the years wear and tear is starting to take a toll. Food and drink is expensive. Just wish there was some competition so the price would come down--my corporate discount keeps me coming back- rack rate scares me away !

Room Tip: Ask for a discount and join the Presidents Club for those extras.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Neil A,

We greatly appreciate the time you have taken to write a review on Trip Advisor. Thank you for mentioning the key points about the health club facility. We will ensure to relay the message to the teams involved. Your room tip about joining the Fairmont President’s Club program is fantastic as it highlights that extra benefits are available when staying at Fairmont Hotels as part of our loyalty program. Please ensure to inform us of any bookings you choose to make at The Fairmont Vancouver Airport as we would love to assist with future reservation requests.

Vancouver, BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

My husband and I have stayed at this hotel on several occasions over the years, but always on a night before we are departing on an early morning flight. As a result, we normally arrive in a state of chaos, and then are up at 4:00 or 5:00 in the morning to get organized for our flight ... point being, it hasn't left us a lot of time to appreciate the amazing rooms and views from this hotel.
We celebrated our 9th wedding anniversary this past weekend, and as I had come across a great deal on rooms at this Fairmont a few months back, I decided to book us a room for the night of our anniversary, when we could relax and enjoy the experience. This may seem like an odd choice since the hotel is only half an hour from where we live, and is at an airport, but it was a decision well made.
From the moment I first contacted the hotel to let them know we were celebrating a special occasion, they went out of their way to make us feel special and to acknowledge our anniversary. The front desk service was phenomonal! The rooms, as always, were in perfect condition, and the bathrooms, with their spacious rain showers, big bath tub, etc., made me want to linger, and linger some more. The bed was beautifully comfortable, and we got such enjoyment out of sitting by the window and watching all the runway goings on, from the Nikon free standing telescope that was provided in this particular room.
Lastly, we had an absolutely fastastic dinner at the hotel's lovely restaurant, Globe - in a perfect setting, again with views of the airport operations below. For seafood lovers, I highly recommend the 'Fruits de Mar' (something close to that, anyways), in which the scallops and prawns were cooked to absolute perfection ... and we have eaten A LOT of seafood over the years! Also, the fresh bread offered at the beginning of the evening, as well as the mussel appetizer, and finally the S'Mores dessert, were all top notch!! Can't say enough great things about this hotel. Well done, Fairmont, and thank you for the great evening! Sarah

Room Tip: Honestly, there isn't a bad room at the hotel. I personally like the North facing rooms, as fee...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Sarahpaul77,

Happy Anniversary! Thank you very much for your recent review on The Fairmont Vancouver Airport. We are so very glad to hear you enjoyed your experience and we’ll ensure to report back to the service teams mentioned who were able to turn your experience into an extraordinary one. Please ensure to notify us of any future bookings you choose to make at The Fairmont Vancouver Airport as we would love to assist with reservation requests.

Warmest wishes to a safe and happy 2013,

The entire team here at The Fairmont Vancouver Airport.

Been to Fairmont Vancouver Airport? Share your experiences!