“Fantastic spot, average food” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Blue Canoe

Blue Canoe
3866 Bayview Street (Unit 140), Richmond, British Columbia V7E 4R7, Canada (Steveston)
604-275-7811
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Blue Canoe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 670 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Steveston
Cross street: 2nd Avenue
Transit: Local bus service to the corner of No. 1 Rd and Moncton, 2 blocks from the restaurant.
Description: Rustic & charming, this Steveston Village gathering spot features a sea-heavy (but sustainable) menu and a unique beer and wine list.
Vancouver
“Fantastic spot, average food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

We went to the Blue Canoe with some friends and had a fantastic time. The location is amazing, the staff were polite, but the food and service were only average. There were six of us out for dinner, and our food did not come out all at the same time. It came in bits and pieces and we had to wait a long time before we could all eat together. The food was also not as warm as it could be. I ordered the lamb shank, and it was just OK - nothing special. I was surprised how average the food was given that their menu is not that cheap. If a restaurant is going to charge $30+ for an entree, it better be exceptional! I recently ate at The Teahouse in Stanley Park, and they have a similar menu and prices, but the food is exceptional. I would be willing to give the Blue Canoe another try, but they need to do a better job if they want to keep my business.

• 3 of 5 stars Food

Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada
“try the halibut, it is amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

I have been to the Blue Canoe for a total of 3 times now and everytime the food has been amazing. I have ordered the special, the halibut and the other diners I were with ordered other fish. The fish is tender, the vegetables tasty and the wine ( yes, we love the 6 or 9 oz option) is excellent. Atmosphere...try to sit out on the patio, it is a little less noisy. Depending on the amount of large groups or children, inside may be a little noisy for conversation. Right on the wharf of Steveston, very pretty, esp at sunset. Go for a stroll after to visit the unique village and shops.

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver, Canada
“Great spot, average food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

We went to Blue Canoe for a late dinner on a Friday night. The restaurant was quite busy but we were seated quickly. The location is beautiful near the mouth of the Fraser River and Pacific Ocean in the heart of Steveston. The ambience was good, with good energy and the staff were attentive and polite throughout the evening.

Unfortunately, the food was only average relative to the prices being charged. Based on the prices for the entrees, ranging in the 18-35 dollar range, the food was average. By no means was it bad, it was certainly still edible, but for a restaurant like that, charging the prices listed, I would have expected a more enjoyable dining experience. We tried the the pesto linguini with prawns and the steak and quinoa salad. The pesto was quite bland and the steak was not a very good cut at all. In fairness to the restaurant, they did give us half price on the steak entree when they looked at the steak themselves. So they did what they could.

I compare this to a place like Cardero's in Coal Harbour, Vancouver, with a similar on the water locale, and equivalent prices, and the food at Blue Canoe was suprisingly inferior. As it was only my first time, I am willling to go back and try again sometime, as it is truly a gorgeous spot and in some ways you are paying for that. But I would certainly hope to have a better food experience as ultimately that's what it's about.

If you were looking for a casual spot for appys and drinks with some friends on a summer's day, this would undoubtedly be a great choice.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Point Roberts, Washington
“Good food and atmosphere!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

My husband and I had dinner at the Blue Canoe last night and sat at a window table to enjoy the view. Almost immediately, a waitress came to take our drink order and seemed a bit put off that we were looking at the menu first. She repeatedly came by to take a drink order, even though we had questions about the menu we wanted answered first. We placed our order and were very happy with the tuna ceviche, served very creatively with long plantain strips. My husband had the steak salad, and I had the seafood salad. Both were tasty and the portions were just right. We felt the meal was good in spite of the repeated pressure to order alcohol. Will probably go back for lunch next time.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Richmond
“Nice place for a sunset dinner on the patio”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

Great view overlooking Stevenson on the patio. Wait until the sun is very down tho otherwise you will be blinded by the light. But once it sets.. Such gorgeous colors! And you also get blankets if you are cold. Food is pretty good. Had the crab and avocado andy girl had the tuna which were both pretty good. Don't go for the fish taco. Too much parsley. Price is decent for location. One of the better restaurants on the pier