“Not to be missed” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Shanghai River

Shanghai River
7831 Westminster Highway, Richmond, British Columbia V6X 4J4, Canada (City Centre)
Improve this listing
Ranked #61 of 673 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: City Centre
Manitoba
“Not to be missed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

This is some of the best Chinese food I have ever had! The food is traditional and not the standard North American version. Staff were friendly and helpful. The environment is great and clearly caters to families with most tables set up for groups of 8 to 10. The only limitation is a rather restricted drink menu with one house red or white wine and few varieties of beer. Reservations are recommended, the place is frequently full and has a queue of waiting patrons.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

St. Augustine FL
“Great place for good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

After reading the reviews here, I knew I had to stop in for dinner.

So on my latest trip to Vancouver last week I stopped in for dinner with a few friends.

We arrived around 5:00 and already the place was filling up. We were quickly seated and our host brought us menus. The menus had pictures which really helped speed up the process of deciding what to order.

I knew what I wanted right away, the Peking Duck. Brad ordered the Schezwan Shrimp and Linda had a vegetable dish. We decided to share everything and we all enjoyed our dinner.

As others have noticed, some of the servers English is a bit ... rough. But then again, I would be hard pressed to even say a word or two of Chinese.

We found the staff friendly, the food was excellent and overall a great dinner.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Vancouver, Canada
“Ideal for a Family gathering”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

It was my birthday and I asked my daughter who lives in Richmond to make a reservation at a Chinese restaurant that had excellent food, good service and would be suitable for her 2 small children (ages 3 and 7) as well as my husband and me and our daughters and their spouses.

The Shanghai River hit the mark on all points. There were a great many delightful dishes on the menu and we had no problem choosing a few that we knew would be good. Our favorites were the Whole Rock Cod with vegetables and the spicy egg plant - both extra yummy.

Our daughter had arranged to take in a small birthday cake and it was presented with a couple of candles at the appropriate time by our server who seemed happy to help. In fact we found all of the wait staff to be very good.

Like most large Chinese Restaurants, Shanghai River is noisy and the many tables are quite close together so it wouldn't be very suitable for a Romantic Evening - or a business lunch or dinner. Other than that I highly recommend.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Brussels, Belgium
“A European's joy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

A favorite of my in-laws, we had lunch and dinner here during our two week stay with them this summer.

I was treated first time round to Peking duck accompanied by a few vegetable dishes. These included pak choi and an absolute favorite of mine, water spinach. I was certainly not disappointed, nor did I leave hungry. In fact, for a time I thought I'd need to be carried...

On our return a week later for dinner we opted for a variety of dishes including jelly fish, something I'd never had before, and their renowned xiao long bao. My partner loves her fried pork chops and she made no attempt to hide her satisfaction as she devoured her share in silent delight.

Everything was brought to us quickly, tasted great and in generous quantities. Very enjoyable and I would certainly recommend.

Visited July 2013
Los Altos, California
“Amazing food!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

My husband and I happen to come across this restaurant because it was one of the few ones still opened when we arrived at the Vancouver airport on Friday evening. We knew we had hit the jackpot when we saw that it was full of Chinese people at 9:00 in the evening. On our way to our table, we say a little lady making Xiao Long Bao behind a glass window. After scanning the restaurant, we discovered that this was the house specialty and boy, was it special! We like it so much that we ordered a second order. That's 8 baos for each person!!! In addition, we had the Black Cod with Spicy Minced Pork. It was fabulous!!!

We wished we had more people in our party so that we could try more of the dishes. We will definitely go back there the next time we visit Vancouver.

Visited September 2013