“Average Motel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Big Horn Motel

Save Saved
You added Big Horn Motel to your Saves list
Big Horn Motel
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   #1 - Trans Canada Highway at Deadman's Flat, Dead Man's Flats, Canmore, Alberta T1W 2T9, Canada   |
Imst, Austria
“Average Motel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

The motel itself is okay. Nice bathroom, kitchen was well equipped. Staff is so so.
It's just that the rooms are not that much cheaper as some in the canmore area but I guess the others offer a bit more. So if you just need it for a night I guess its okay, but if you stay longer in the area I would spend some dollars more and try another motel.

• Stayed July 2013

37 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Gainesville, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

I called several months in advance to reserve a room for one week. I was interested in a a room with a kitchenette and the proprietress immediately lowered the price down from 99 to 79 dollars a day for staying a full week. The first thing I can say is that nowhere in Banff or Canmore will you find a room with a kitchenette for SO little money. Nowhere. My room was fairly big. The bed was comfortable and they had a fan that I used. The room was clean. The shower was high so I didn't have to squat down to take my showers. The kitchenette consisted of two burners, a sink and a microwave with plenty of counter space. The owners supplied pots, pans, silverware, dishes, dish towels and dish washing liquid, and I used that little kitchen while I was there. I made things that I like. It really was nice! My room wasn't on the highway side, so I was not bothered by noise. No, it's not the Hilton. The room was not perfect, but I figured I saved three to four hundred dollars by staying there for one week rather than staying at a typical room in Banff. If you're loaded, I recommend Banff. If you want to have a long, productive, fun stay in the Rockies without having to take out a second mortgage on your home, this a great place to stay. The owners were pleasant. Yeah, it's a litltle far to drive to trail heads. (It is even from Banff) But believe me, it is a great option for a person watching their nickels and dimes. I will probably come back here the next time I come to the Canadian Rockies.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Faribault, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

We wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone. Our room was extremely small, didn't have A/C and there was too much traffic noise to open the window. The carpet was worn and stained. The shower was so small you could hardly turn around. Couldn't use the blowdryer in the bathroom, because the only outlet was for a razor only. The reservation said they had cable tv, but you only got about 5 channels. We paid $80 + tax and wouldn't stay there again. They did have a nice community kitchen/dining area, but it wasn't something we needed or wanted to use.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Dead Man's Flats hotels

Edmonton, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012 via mobile

Cheap poorly maintained motel typical of the type of inn keeper. Carpets are stained bathrooms in poor condition. VCR in room with movies available to use in lobby. If your looking to save money it was 97 with tax for the night but next time I will stay in Calgary and drive out for the day or pay 200 at one of the chain hotels in Canmore.

• Stayed August 2012
Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

We stayed here near the end of July.You get what you pay for...a room.Ours had 3 queens and a single,and a roll up cot if needed.The shower "screamed" when ran,and the room was dusty and needed a good cleaning.That said,the view was awesome,and we had a nice breakfast right next door at the husky.Would we stay here again..yes..we only sleep in the room,the beds were comfy too.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Beverley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

This motel is more on the budget side but it is a great way to see Banff and Canmore very cheaply and still the view from the motel is amazing. Our room had a kitchenette which was handy. There is also an outside picnic table and gas BBQ

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

I've written a review here before and now my wife and me have stayed here many times since. We still love it and look foward to each time we make our reservations! We call it "our lil' get a away"! My wife is 44yrs of age and I'm 31...so there's a bit of an age differance and we still love our "bit of heaven" ( I dont think age has anything to do with this motel.....it's all in what you want). We always stay in the same room (#127) it has a kitchenett and a queen sized bed on the north side of the highway. We love the "down to earth" hospitality and love it's million dollar views with a very reasonable price! We are actually going there in a couple days.....and are looking foward to it! This place is GREAT and I would HIGHLY recommend this motel to anyone that is looking to get away from the BIG CITY LIFE and enjoying a "down home" experience (sorry for the southern anologies.....im from Texas). EVERYTIME the room is VERY clean, the people VERY helpful and VERY friendly!

Room Tip: We recommend the "suites"...with a small kitchen (we bring our own food) it's like &qu...