Whether you love or hate this place will depend on your values. If you want 5-star luxury you should go somewhere else. If on the other hand you are looking for the tranquility of nature you'll love this place. Yes the place is rustic because it is older but some reviewers forget to mention that you have a spacious free-standing chalet something impossible to find in newer resorts unless you pay big bucks. You have no neighbors on the other side of your walls or above you which makes it much quieter. Out front there is a huge deck. One a recent trip we had a barbecue for 11 people on the deck with plenty of room to spare. The views are amazing. Because you are not in town, you are surrounded by mountains unhampered by the busyness of civilization. We have been here at least 6 times and I never tire of the beauty. It is not uncommon to see wildlife wandering around the grounds. Just outside the entrance to the resort is the parking lot for a number of hiking trails so it is easy to set off for a walk. Once we saw a grizzly bear on one of our hikes--he took a look at us and sauntered back into the trees.
You can immerse yourself in nature and yet Canmore with most amenities is a short drive away so you can have the best of both worlds. But it's important to assess your values to decide whether this is the place for you.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Banff Gate Mountain Resort is an outdoor playground for all ages where mountain activities and rustic amenities meet. It is nestled in the majestic pines of Pigeon Mountain at the foot of the Lougheed and Windtower Mountains. Our 46 fully appointed chalets are surrounded by Lake Louise and the adventures of the Banff National Park. Activities include water rafting, hiking, skiing, mountain biking, dog sledding, golf and more. For those preferring more peace and quiet, the picturesque grounds of the resort provide the perfect retreat. Children’s play areas are intertwined by hiking trails that sprawl throughout the resort connecting to the surrounding wilderness. Local wildlife often wanders unhindered throughout the area and across the property. An indoor heated pool, hot tubs and a family clubhouse provide a well-rounded travel destination for families and adventurers alike. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, BookIt.com, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Venere, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Banff Gate Mountain Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Banff Gate Mountain Hotel Dead Man`s Flats
- Banff Gate Mountain Resort Canmore/Dead Man's Flats, Alberta