To call this place a "resort" is really a stretch of the imagination. The place wasn't bad and did have some positive features but it really needs a complete overhaul of appliances, carpet and lighting to get beyond a 2.5 to 3 rating.
On the positive side (with disclaimers)
- nice indoor pool with an indoor and outdoor hot tub. But the jets in the indoor tub didn't work very well and the soap dispenser in the men's changing room showers was empty the duration of our week-long stay. Makes me wonder if they clean the changing room more than once a week.
- remote location with some great hiking trails and a very good chance to spot wildlife. We saw some mule deer right across from our cabin. But, it's a fairly long drive to get to the major activities located around Banff and Lake Louise. We've got a comfy SUV so it wasn't a big deal for us to drive 100+ miles a day but the miles and gasoline costs do and did add up.
- the cabins are nicely equipped with a fireplace, full kitchen, 2 big bedrooms and 2 full baths. But, the appliances are fairly worn out, the overhead fan in the sitting area made such a loud grinding noise that we didn't use it. The formica counter top was chipped. The front wheels in the dishwasher lower rack were missing. Indoor lighting was mediocre with harsh flourescent bulbs that were hard on the eyes. The windows were large but the glass was filthy. The exterior lighting was suitable for a small airstrip. Not sure why since it doesn't appear to be a high crime area. Even with the blinds lowereed my wife and son had to wear eye shades to sleep.
- they do have wireless internet. But, it didn't work in our cabin.
All things considered I wouldn't stay here again nor would I recommend it to my friends. I think the biggest failure for this place is that with a little TLC and some serious cleaning it could be a much better place to stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Banff Gate Mountain Resort is an outdoor playground for all ages where mountain activities and rustic amenities meet. It is nestled in the majestic pines of Pigeon Mountain at the foot of the Lougheed and Windtower Mountains. Our 46 fully appointed chalets are surrounded by Lake Louise and the adventures of the Banff National Park. Activities include water rafting, hiking, skiing, mountain biking, dog sledding, golf and more. For those preferring more peace and quiet, the picturesque grounds of the resort provide the perfect retreat. Children’s play areas are intertwined by hiking trails that sprawl throughout the resort connecting to the surrounding wilderness. Local wildlife often wanders unhindered throughout the area and across the property. An indoor heated pool, hot tubs and a family clubhouse provide a well-rounded travel destination for families and adventurers alike. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Priceline, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Tingo and BookingOdigeoWL so you can book your Banff Gate Mountain Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Banff Gate Mountain Hotel Dead Man`s Flats
- Banff Gate Mountain Resort Canmore/Dead Man's Flats, Alberta