“ROOM 25B” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Auckland Harbour Oaks

You added Auckland Harbour Oaks to your Saves list
Auckland Harbour Oaks
4.5 of 5 Condominium   |   16 Gore Street | Auckland City, 1010, New Zealand   |
Manchester
“ROOM 25B”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Hey after reading the reviews I feel compelled to write one myself, which I don't normally do. I am still in NZ and if possible will stay here again for 1 night before I go home. When booking via expedia I requested a room with the best view available and was given room 25B on the 25th floor facing Auckland harbour. The view was stunning, more than I expected. Much more. On entering the room I was impressed from the get go. My room came with cooker, dish washer, washing machine and dryer, toaster, kitchen utensils 2 bathrooms and 2 bedrooms. I had to double check this is what I booked, as it was only me staying and couldn't believe the value for money. I had a tall standing fan which I didn't need as both bedrooms and the main room had sliding doors and been on the 25th floor this created a nice cooling effect by leaving the doors open. Having spent the previous 2 nights in Dubai I found this hotel much more value for money. The outdoor pool was long and narrow but a godsend in the heat. Location was perfect for me as the airport express bus stopped 2 streets away and all my activities started from around the harbour. The staff was very friendly and knowledgeable.
Justin Anthony

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
UdaiSarin, Guest Relations Manager at Auckland Harbour Oaks, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Thank you for your review. Our property is certainly unique, that is what we are most proud of.
We take immense pleasure in being able to serve our guests every day and enjoy what we do.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future, in the meantime please stay in touch via Facebook and Twitter. Best wishes - The Auckland Harbour Oaks Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Rockhampton, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

We stayed here over Christmas for 3 days first there is no air contitioning and no ceiling fans if you like they will bring a portable fan, we did not have any room service for the 3 days so no rubbish emptied no fresh towels. Our continental breakfast only came after we asked for it, again terrible the popper juice was made in India (surely you can get popper juices made in NZ) yoghurt and banana and a spice cake??? You are only allowed to have one swipe card which is very inconvenient as you need these for the lift as well as the room so you have to go out together. The paid car parking $20 per night leaves alot to be desired, We faced the massage parlour across the road and because we had to leave the doors open you can hear noise all night. As I was rating this hotel I just noticed there was a spa I dont know where it was and the pool you have to climb several metres up to get in.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
UdaiSarin, Guest Relations Manager at Auckland Harbour Oaks, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and am truly sorry to hear about the inconvenience caused with the breakfast service, we will take into consideration the breakfast preferences you pointed out, when making changes to the breakfast offered. I have passed on your housekeeping concerns to the relevant departments to address. Please note that the gym and pool can be accessed via the lift, apologies if this was not made clear. If you have any additional concerns you wish to have addressed, please email us on feedback@vrhotels.co.nz. Safe travels.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

First we are told No parking avail and carpark is full. Extra $ for parking. Once we agreed to pay they magically arranged a spot for us.

Continental breakfast is a basket of bananas + yoghurt.

Tiny lift -barely fit luggage in.
Hallways also tiny-
Apartment made for midgets. I struggled doing a number 2 with legs and arms hitting sink and wall.
2 bedroom apartment with one uncomfortable sofa. Living room is way too small to accomodate 4 people.
Tv was again a small computer monitor.
Freezer didnt work at all.
Balcony was one foot wide and two meters long.
Apartment had a urine smell.
Harbour oaks is not at the harbour. Its actually in brothel and stripper town of Auckland very noisy even on the 37th floor.
Tried calling reception during the day with no success.. realised staff member at reception was occupying phone on what seemed to be a giggly-personal phone call.
Photos online and description is very misleading.WHAT A JOKE!!

Thanks for ruining 2 nights of our stay here. I hope we have helped to reveal the truth about this place.

• Stayed February 2013
UdaiSarin, Guest Relations Manager at Auckland Harbour Oaks, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Thank you so much for your feedback and please accept my sincere apologies that your experience was less that top notch. All feedback is used in assisting us to improve the features and services we provide. I would love for you to contact me directly on feedback@vrhotels.co.nz as there a number of issues you have raised in your review that are a real concern to me. We are not one to take such things easily and need to address them after receiving more information.

I look forward to hopefully hearing from you in the near future.
Newcastle, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Stayed in 7th floor west facing room in late summer. As there was no air-conditioning and the room was in direct sunlight it was actually unbearably hot in the room until after 7pm. The room overlooked strip clubs and backpackers hostels, and was quite noisy late at night.

The location was ok, close by harbour and Britomart area, but also the immediate area was somewhat questionable, although there were some nice cafes for breakfast around the corner on Fort St.

Hallways smelt strongly of mothballs and curry (cannot comment as to whether this was just on the 7th floor or throughout the hotel).

The room itself was ok, bathroom quite spacious and clean. My biggest complaint however, is that when I went to get into bed I dicsovered my bed had been made up with sheets that were too small. As in they only reached 2/3 way down the bed, and as such the mattress was exposed at the bottom 1/3. Instead of actually finding sheets that were the right size (Queen), these had simply been tucked in and covered with the comforter (as if I wasn't going to notice?). Pillows were very hard.

I wouldn't stay here in the future as I have previously stayed in nicer hotels in Auckland for the same price.

Room Tip: Other reviews seem to suggest that higher rooms have a nicer view, and will be less noisy. Try to av...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
UdaiSarin, Guest Relations Manager at Auckland Harbour Oaks, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. Please accept our sincere apology for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay with us. This was clearly not the standard of service that we strive to offer our guests.

Your comments about the standard of housekeeping is of a major concern to me. We take great pride in our housekeeping standards. I have addressed your concerns with our Executive Housekeeper and will follow up personally to understand what we can do better as a property.

Thank you again for your feedback.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

amazing views from higher number floors. was quite impressed with use of space for a 2brm apartment. unfortunately running the shower meant the bathroom would flood, and all towels etc needed to be used to stop water seeping into living area. would have been helpful to have been allowed more than 1 pass key between the 4 people we had staying. Also tv didn't work despite reporting it twice. even though this place is in the so-called red light district don't let it put you off as it is so close to so many things you will want to have access to - waterfront, ferries, britomart, supermarket, shopping, restaurants etc.

Room Tip: Hopefully you'll get a high floor with harbour view!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
UdaiSarin, Guest Relations Manager at Auckland Harbour Oaks, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
It is great to hear that you were able to take advantage of our central location and explored the city. We appreciate your feedback, it will assist us in improving our services for future guests. Please stay in touch with us and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.
Quorn, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

The view over Auckland Harbour and CBD are superb. The hotel is located very well for the Wharf and ferries as well as Brittomart railway station, the Viaduct and central shopping area. There is a car park at $20NZ per night but be sure to prebook as spaces are limited. The suites are spacious clean and well appointed with kitchens etc for those who want to eat in. Probably he only downside is that despite being on floor 22 the noise from street level seems to carry.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor to maximize views.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
UdaiSarin, Guest Relations Manager at Auckland Harbour Oaks, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear Bernard R,

It is great to hear that you had a first class stay with us! Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! Please stay in touch with us and we look forward to welcoming you again in the near future!
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

If on lower floors (we are 5th floor with view of car park and strip joints) on warm mid 20s days you need to decide if you want to sleep or breath. Stuffy small rooms with no aircon. If you open the terrace door to get some fresh air you will not sleep thanks to dramas from the local wildlife spilling out of gentlemans clubs, and when that finishes, the garbage trucks emptying skip loads of bottles for hours between 3am and 4 am.

We asked to be shifted to a higher room away from the noise but they could/would not do.

Bizare bathroom fittings - you need to be a muscle man to push the recessed toilet buttons to flush. No shelf in shower so be careful lest you slip on soap and shampoo under your feet.

Two days so far no sleep yet - glad to be gone tomorrow.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear kevin F,

Thank you so much for your feedback and please accept my sincere apologies that your experience was less that top notch. All feedback is used in assisting us to improve the features and services we provide. I would love for you to contact me directly on feedback@vrhotels.co.nz as there a number of issues you have raised in your review that are a real concern to me. I am not one to take such things easily and need to address them after receiving more information.

Been to Auckland Harbour Oaks? Share your experiences!