“Finally got to try Depot, definitely worth the wait” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: New concept by famous Al Brownoysters, bistro food and great wines
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Finally got to try Depot, definitely worth the wait”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I visited Depot on a Friday night about 8:30 with friends as I had been wanting to try this much talked about venue for awhile. The service was definitely first class, efficient, friendly and nothing was a chore. Very attentive and high energy staff. We had to wait to be seated, but went across the road for cocktails and got a call when our table was ready. We were seated right by the kitchen which was awesome to watch, all the chefs so calm yet so busy. The Tua Tuas were fantastic. The wine by the carafe was small and expensive for what it was, but that's wine in Auckland really. The food was great - ribs, brussel sprouts, sliders - all amazing. The skirt steak was the only dish I found a little disappointing. The price was much less than I expected for such good quality, tasty food. Can't wait to go back,

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Casual, fun and excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

Can't go wrong here. Sitting at the bar, outside, or on one of the tables inside, The Depot has it all. Brilliant buzz provides the foundation for innovative tapas and sharing plates of truly good food. Drinks menu is thoughtful, with a combination of local craft beers and a really good range of wines by the glass and bottle. In a group or on your own, this is a guaranteed good experience.

• Visited May 2013
Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand
“Amazing tapas”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Super selection of small plates, was there for a couple of hours with work colleagues. Great selection of nz craft beers too. Superb location, service and atmosphere.

• Visited April 2013
Melbourne, Australia
“Depot Eatery - best little restaurant in NZ?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

After a busy morning we had no idea where to grab some lunch so a business colleague suggested Depot on Federal st. At first I thought ugh, that’s by the Sky Casino, it can’t be good but they insisted that I give it a chance. Swallowing my disbelief we headed up the road.

Upon arrival the place looked, cool. Probably an overused word and doesn’t describe things well but the place just felt cool. Maybe it was the hipsters in the back sipping coffe, the gay couple dressed ravishingly out front smoking cigarettes or the old Maori couple reading the newspaper, perhaps it was the kitsch décor and down home Kiwi feel (we’re Kiwi’s living in Australia) but something felt just right about the place. We sidled on up and sat at the bar to see what was on offer.

The menu was exciting and I’m not going to repeat it here but check it out for yourself eatatdepot.co.nz (no I’m not endorsed by Depot, hell I wish I was!). My only fault with the menu being the use of the word clams……………since when did New Zealanders start calling Pipis clams? Stupid I tell you and sounds American which is not a bad thing but our Native people’s name for it is waaaaay cooler and waaaaay more Kiwi. We knew that we would agonise over the menu for a bit and it was almost 11am so a drink was in order, me choosing the Tuatara – Bavarian Hefe and my wife choosing a glass of 2009 Alluviale Merlot Cabernet from Gimblett Gravels. The Hefe was a light and fruity wheat beer, perfect for the first drink of the day and complimentary of the Kingfish! My wife’s Merlot also going down well, as if a wine from Gimblett Gravels is going to be bad.

We ended up ordering the Kingfish sashimi w/ oyster cream, apple & fennel seed and the NZ meat board which had a staggering amount of Local food (Waikanae pork salami, wild rabbit rillette,’akaroa’ pork coppa, air dried paprika beef, cherry relish & ‘Olaf’s’ fig & fennel crostini). The kingfish was divine, so light and fresh with the oyster cream rounding out the dish with a flavour explosion. The meat board was amazing with my favourite the wild rabbit rillette which was easily as good if not better than anything I ever tried in France.

After the Hefe I ordered a Tuatara Porter to finish off the meal and was rewarded with a subtle chocolate and earthy taste, very different from the Hefe but still an amazing beer. My wife continued with her Merlot as why mess with a good thing. Reluctantly we dragged ourselves out of the place with an promise to come back and eat dinner there some time.

This is currently my favourite place to eat (even though it’s in NZ and I live in Australia). The staff are attentive and nice, the décor is cool and funky, the prices are resonable and the food is to die for. For someone who doesn’t give 10/10 this would have to be a solid 9.5/10. Now I just have to find excuses to fly back to NZ to get back there.

Check out www.mylittlereddiningbook.com for more than just my restaurant reviews…..

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Oustanding causal dining.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Noisy, madcap, massive crowds, ALWAYS a long wait, and ALWAYS worth it.

Simply the best causal food in Auckland city. Take a big wallet, but share your plates and try as much as you possibly can.

• Visited September 2012