“Perfect spot with perfect hosts” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Admirals Landing

You added Admirals Landing to your Saves list
Admirals Landing
3.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   11 Queens Parade, Devonport 0624, New Zealand   |
Ranked #2 of 10 Devonport B&B and Inns
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Perfect spot with perfect hosts”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Joy and Howard offer a really personal experience, which, for outsiders like us, from the UK, was just wonderful. Joy's complimentary tour of Devonport and Mt. Victoria was so interesting and we enjoyed sharing the excitement of the America's Cup sailing with Howard. Such an interesting couple to chat to. The room and particularly the bathroom were luxurious and offered lots of little extras, like cheese and crackers, a bottle of wine, toiletries and robes. Joy and Howard's suggestions for trips were spot on and we really enjoyed Auckland Art Gallery and the museum and Maori cultural experience. The house is in such an ideal spot - with a perfect view of the central Auckland skyline - for anyone worried that Devonport is too far away from 'downtown' - it's not - it's such a short trip on the ferry - you can probably get to things in central Auckland quicker from Devonport than from other parts of the city. We loved Devonport itself - lovely restaurants, bars and a perfect little chocolate shop that's well worth a visit. As for the breakfast, which was served at a little table in our room, WOW!! We chose the cooked breakfast on day one - and then couldn't bear to try anything else as it was just so superbly cooked. The fruit platter each day was also wonderful and we really appreciated having different fruits to try. I can't think of any other accommodation I have ever stayed in where the breakfast was better than this. So 10 out of 10 for the whole experience!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Sonoma Napa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

My beautiful wife was on business all during the week in the big city and we wanted a place for the weekend close to it all but far enough away (close to everything but next to nothing) for romance and quality time. We found much more in fantastic hosts Joy and Howard at their wonderful B&B just about an 8 minute ferry ride from Auckland, discovering local attractions (Mount Victoria Reserve), wine shops, coffee shops, and dining (Mecca, great fish & chips).

Joy was amazing serving an exquisite breakfast each morning. Laundry service was also provided with our extended stay which was so convenient. With the lovely accommodation, the labor of love from Joy's kind hearted touch as a fantastic host, there was so much time to focus on romance at Admiral's Landing. Thank you so much Joy and Howard!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Paignton, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

This is my second visit to New Zealand having previously stayed in a large hotel in Takapuna.

On trying to book (Feb 2013) I soon discovered that all the larger hotels were fully booked on the dates required. That is when I started looking at alternatives and stumbled across Admirals Landing. My client was based in Devonport, so decided it was worth a punt.

As it turns out, it was a stroke of luck that my usual hotel was fully booked. The Admirals Landing is well appointed, spotlessly clean and comfortable. The bed, linen and pillows were of a good quality. The room had a very generous size lcd tv, which being a lone traveller is important! I was also offered access to wifi, which is sadly often considered an extra at most hotels.

The location is simply superb with breathtaking views across the water to Auckland and it's dramatic skyline. Devonport is a pretty little town which also happened to be hosting a festival during my time and was lucky enough to catch a band playing on the esplanade!

Last but not least, Joy and Howard were charming hosts, From Joy reciting wonderful little "titbits" of local history, to chewing the fat whilst sharing a glass (or two...) of local red with Howard.

Hopefully, I will be back again next year!

Room Tip: If available, opt for the front room for the views.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

My only regret with this visit is that it has taken so long for me to post this review! My family and I stayed with Joy and Howard at their peaceful B&B right after landing in NZ. Flying from Singapore, we had never experienced such an easy transition from an overseas flight to a place we could just rest our bodies and feel at home. The location is great - right across from the ferry, near playgrounds, restaurants, and the beautiful main walkway of Devonport. We were able to see the Auckland skyline from our room while at a distance. We were able to come and go as we please, and were so happy to hear the stories and experiences of Joy & Howard who were gracious and knowledgeable hosts, yet also gave us the space to experience as we wished. I hope that more people find their way to this sweet haven.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Levin, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

We had the pleasure of staying with Joy & Howard at their gorgeous home in Devonport & were looked after like royalty.
Joy was such a wonderful historian & we had an interesting walk up Mt Victoria to see the fabulous views. The breakfast was just scrumpscious & we could not have found a better location across the street from the ferry terminal. We went into the city on the ferry on Saturday night to enjoy the fun at a lovely restaurant. On the Sunday we attended the Devonort Wine & Food Festival so lovely way to end our weekend get away.
Joy & Howard are like staying with family as nothing is too much trouble. I so enjoyed Joy's stories of the local history.
Devonport is a charming wee village & has wonderful art galleries. We highly recommend you stay with Howard & Joy if you want a very special Devonport experience.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Alameda, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

This is a really wonderful place. The proprietors are very attentive but not overbearing, and are extremely helpful and knowledgeable. The location is absolutely perfect; it's right across the street from the ferry terminal, allowing for super convenient access to the downtown area. Also, there are no trees on the opposite side of the street there (unlike down the street a bit), so there are spectacular views of downtown. Breakfast is delicious! There is plenty to choose from, no matter what your dietary constraints might be. The roasted tomatoes were probably the best thing we ate the whole time we were in the Auckland area. They are definitely not to be missed! I could go on and on about how great this place is, but really you should just go and see for yourself!

• Stayed March 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

Planning a recent business to Auckland city, I discovered that all the big city hotels were full. Initially I was very frustrated, but after searching for accommodation options around Auckland, I discovered that Devonport was only a 10 minute ferry ride from the city... And then I discovered that Admirals Landing B&B was just opposite the ferry terminal overlooking the beach across to the city, and I thought why not. A quick look at the web site suggested that the B&B facilities were very nice, and the owners Howard and Joy seemed really interesting.

It was all true! The ferry ride across the harbor was only 10 minutes.. It was a 2 minute walk from the Devonport terminal to the house. And Howard and Joy were lovely. My room and en suite were appointed better than most fancy hotel rooms, and the service including breakfast served on my little balcony was great. Howard was even happy to lend me a pair of cuff links having realized I'd forgotten mine.

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and I'm hoping that the other hotels are full again on my next trip!

Stayed February 2013

Been to Admirals Landing? Share your experiences!