“Nice welcome” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 Hook Norton B&B and Inns
Bourne, United Kingdom
“Nice welcome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

A great place to stay. Warm welcome, excellent food, well stocked bar with real ales and good honest value for money rooms.

They also have a caravan site for tourers, with electric hook ups and toilet facilities.

Breakfast is something to behold!

It is also close to Vision Motorsports driving experience centre and also the lovely Chipping Norton.

Room Tip: Just the four rooms and all very nice.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Burnley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

I would have liked to give 3.5 stars for this pub/restaurant but of course the ratings won't allow it. My wife and I recently went for a meal whilst we were holidaying in the area. I understand that it has recently been taken over, and I think there is real potential. The beer is kept well, and the pub itself is pleasant and welcoming. The food was OK, but if anything they were almost trying to hard, to be a little different. I had prawns in chilli to start, and these were good, but I'm not sure why they were served in a bowl of hot oil. My wife had pate and this was excellent. I asked if they would combine the sea bass main, with the salmon accompaniment ie Potato and Chorizo salad, and they were happy to accomodate this, and it was very reasonable - perhaps the sea bass was a little overcooked. My wife had the fish and chips - but this came with creamed peas!! Not garden peas or mushy peas - but creamed peas (peas in cream)- and it just didn't work. The staff were pleasant and helpfull, and the manager was eager to know what we thought, and was superbly attentive. Once they get the basics right I think this could be a very good pub/restaurant.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Stuart T, Manager at The Gate Hangs High, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Thak you for taking the time to leave a review for The Gate Hangs High. I am glad you enjoyed the experience and have taken on board your comments regarding the menu which we have now ammended for the Autumn season. We look forward to welcoming you back on another occassion.
warwickshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

Went for Sunday lunch with the family, will deffo be going back, food was amazing, best sunday lunch i have had, staff were very friendly. pub is lovely its only a small place so if going for a meal would say to book a table. plenty of parking, lovely place out the back for kids to play.
One of the nicest places for food i have been in years.
We will be making regular visits.
Rooms looked nice and clean.
Highly recommended.
My new favorite place to eat.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
luton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

My girlfriend booked us in here as part of my surprise birthday treat which included a visit to the brewery. The place was very in character with the lovely village of Hook Norton and the staff were all very welcoming and pleasant. Its an authentic pub but with modern and comfortable accommodation built out the back with a nice paved garden between the two.

We arrived on the Friday and were greeted by Stuart the manager who settled us in very well and made us feel right at home. Probably the highlight of the stay was the food, Fridays is 'fish and fizz' night and we were treated to the best beer battered haddock and chips we've ever tasted! A big shout out to 'Windy' the head chef who not only rustled that up but all of the amazing food we had all weekend. We would recommend 'The Gate Hangs High' to anyone!

Paul and Laura

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post a review for your stay here. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back to The Gate on another occassion.
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

My family and I called in on spec for lunch. The beer is well kept. The service is attentive and very friendly. The food was excellent and was served in good time. The pork belly was fantastic. I would thoroughly recommend a visit to the Gate Hangs High.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
EAST MIDLANDS
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

My husband and I stayed for 2 nights and as other reviews have mentioned Sandy and Paul are very welcoming and chatty and certainly know how to give very good customer service.
the 4 rooms are situated outside and very spacious.
the only negative i can say about the room we stayed in was that it lacked the touch of a duster and polish, there were very long dangly cobwebs floating around, and the bathroom did not have a safety mat so was a little dangerous to get out of the bath/shower as very slippy.
sadly whilst we were there the pub saw very little customers, why I don't know as the food was delicious and staff friendly.
it.s a bout 30 mins walk in to hook norton village from the gate hangs high but would only recommend in daylight hours as no street lighting and very busy road.
plenty of car parking and nice seating area at the back of the pub.
as mentioned Sandy and paul are only there on a temp basis and although they were the perfect hosts it would be nice to see someone take the pub on that could show it's full potential.

Room Tip: take a hairdryer as the rooms don't have them
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Hook Norton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

Decided to head to the Gate for steak night on Wednesday. We were not disappointed, Sandy made us very welcome and the steak cooked by Paul was better than one I had paid more than 3 times as much for in France a few days earlier. At £26 for 2 steaks and a nice bottle of house red value for money could not be bettered. A great way to spend a Wednesday night.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Gate Hangs High? Share your experiences!