“fantastic guesthouse” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Oracabessa
LONDON
“fantastic guesthouse”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Beautiful house, nice pool, breathtaking views, lovely homecooked homegrown food (Im notoriously fussy about my food), great service and really nice hosts....what more could you want...

I'd highly recommend staying at Tamarind.

We stayed mid-april with a 16 month old baby.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
luton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

people who owen this place need a star good hosts - tea and coffee in morning before exploring the island of its wonderful culture, lots of places to see. close to Oreca Besa and the water falls ,shops and a market , lots to see even on a three week holiday

Room Tip: swimming pool much used - lovely idilic place to stay
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Peterborough, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

My husband and I were desperately in need of a relaxing vacation. We have been to many all-inclusive hotels and didn't want that kind of environment as we find that we usually need to recover from our vacation. We combed the internet and came accross this jewel called Tamarind Great House. We booked online and called Tamarind and spoke with Owner Gillian who gave us great directions how to get there.

Upon arrival we were pleasantly surprised by the warm welcome and beautiful surrounding. Gillian made a fantastic Jamaican fish dinner that evening which was amazing! You rock Gillian!
We have a beautiful room with high valulted ceiling and a balcony with panoramic view of the mountains, the swimming pool and garden below.

Our entire time was simply the best. We had great meals prepared with fresh ingredients from Barry and Gillian's garden, peaceful ambience, and great company. Barry, Eugene still talks about your great sense of humor. This is the first trip we have ever taken and was not exhausted afterwards. As a matter of fact, we were well rested and rejuvenated and was in a much better space to cope with our hectic lifestyle.

If anyone is looking for an atypical vacation, I definitley recommend Tamarind Great House! We recomment that you call ahead for directions on how to get there and if you will be driving, rent a reliable vehicle that is able to manuover the Jamaican roads. The main roads are usually ok but those inland require some skill to navigate.

Gillian, Barry and Gary, thank you guys so much for making our vacation simply the best! Gillian your cooking cured my swelling feet. It's the first time I visit Jamaica in the summer and my feet didn't swell. Fresh ingredients & cool mountain air make a difference. Barry, we really enjoyed those evenings on the patio with a Red Stripe and great conversation. If we ever own a home in Jamaica, we want Gary to do the floors. Brilliant work Gary.

Again thanks for making us feel like family.

Cheers,

Sherril & Eugene (Toronto)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Central Islip, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Do want somewhere to go, where you can lay back, "far from the madding crowd", well Tamarid Great house is the place. My husband, mom , sister-in- law and I stayed there. Gillian, Barry and staff made our stay so stress free. We felt like one of the family. Fresh mountain air, good local food, and good company made our stay worthwhile. I have recommended Tamarid Great house to so many friends. I will return there again.

Room Tip: Just request what you are looking for. Gillian and Barry will accomodate you. All the rooms are grea...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

PROS:-
stunning hilltop location with lovely views
amazing great house newly built on old site
good swimming pool
nearby Sun Valley plantation for a good informative visit
reasonably good meals served on the terrace

CONS:-
very poor potholed road 5 Km road to house
grudging hospitality (no help with carrying cases)
tea and coffee extra cost and only available on request.
no hot water on occaisions. The owners not embarassed or apologetic about it!

Room Tip: upstairs rooms have better views and some have balconies.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
White Bear Lake, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

This was my second stay at Tamarind and I felt compelled to share my positive experience! I must confess that I originally booked the weekend a resort on the beach and the rest of the week at Tamarind. The other place double booked my room. I called Gilliam and Barry at Tamarind at 8 pm and they welcomed me 2 days early with open arms.

The rooms are immaculately clean. The grounds beautiful. You can dip in the pool or go for a walk or run surrounded by lush vegetation. Peaceful, relaxing, homey.. can't say enough.

Only downside is the rough road from the main highway and distance from ocean but also quieter than any lodging near the sea.

• Stayed January 2013
Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I travelled to St. Mary with a friend after arriving on a long flight. We were pleased to have received an email from owner Gillian to help with directions from Oracabessa, as the route to Tamarind is not exactly easy - but with the directions, we had no trouble at all to arrive.
The last bit of the route was up a classic tree-lined entrance driveway reminiscent of southern plantations in the US. This brought us to the parking area set in lovely gardens. Gillian was on the porch to meet us, and Barry shortly joined her. We felt immediately welcome. The Doberman was a bit offputting for my friend, but was clearly not a threat, and certainly made for a sense of security once night fell.

After my long journey, I was rather jetlagged and so settled immediately into our comfortable room and bed to get some much needed sleep. We did not have dinner that night as neither of us was hungry, but my friend had a nice cup of tea and chat with Gillian.

The house decor was lovely and most fitting for the site. Lovely open and inviting foyer with rooms ringed around the upstairs. I am fairly sure we were the only guests that night which was wonderful for us as we had G&B's rather undivided attention.

Following what Gillian joked was the longest sleep ever, we arrived for breakfast on the patio in the morning. After further chats over wide variety of subjects, Gillian prepared a lovely breakfast and we had a bit of time to explore the grounds. We both felt we would have loved to spend longer in order to explore some of the great beauty of the surrounding area, but we had a task at hand to perform in nearby (and beautiful) Port Maria which took us away after a lingering breakfast.

I am not a true birder (due to orthopaedic difficulties) but at the same time have enjoyed them on 5 continents. Even from the patio, I could appreciate numerous and diverse species. And the many feeders brought the most spectacular hummingbirds.

We found our stay to be far too short and told the owners we would love to return. We felt a most sincere emotion in the "I hope so" reply. Sadly, we will have to do it soon, as after 21+ years of hosting, G&B have begun to plan retirement. Surely a great loss for the Jamaican tourist scene if and when it happens.

I wouldn't hesitate to return and to recommend to all.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Tamarind Great House? Share your experiences!