“An excellent family business” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
MK UK
“An excellent family business”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I have to admit looking from the outside the first impression was not good but perhaps I was tired and I'm glad I went in.

The welcome was friendly but not over the top. The menu is not extensive but in a way that is good as I believe concentrating on a smaller number of items allows more focus.

The smoked haddock starter was sublime, cooked to perfection with a lovely cheesy topping and it would not have been out of place in a top restaurant.

I retained the haddock theme for the main course and the portion size was generous, the home made chips were cooked to perfection and there were even garden peas on offer for those, like me, who do not like the mushy variety.

A nice little café / bistro and one I would recommend.

Visited February 2013
Eileen F, Owner at the Granary Cafe-Bar-Bistro, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
i am pleased that you decided to come in and subsequently enjoyed your experience with us. We are very limited on what we can do with the building to make it more appealing to diners and rely on people like yourself spreading the word. Thank you for giving us a try.

wetherby
“Gorgeous sunday lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

Just enjoyed a delightfull sunday lunch, very well cooked, generous portions and very tasty. Highly recommended, 10.95 for 2 courses (couldn't manage a sweet!)

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for taking the time to write about how much you enjoyed your Sunday lunch with us, we appreciate your feedback

York, United Kingdom
“Excellent, friendly restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

We have dined here as a family several times and last night was again, an excellent experience. The staff are extremely welcoming and friendly, the food is not only delicious but the presentation on the plate / dish is a work of art! Excellent value for money, overall a high quality restaurant at sensible prices. Looking forward to our next visit!

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for your review. Its nice to hear that you enjoy visiting us and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Selby, United Kingdom
“Christmas special!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

My third visit here with my partner, to what has become one of our very favourite restaurants in the region. We'd booked ourselves and two friends in for Christmas dinner on a Saturday evening, and were a little surprised to find the place less than half full. We were even more surprised when our meals arrived, as we tucked into what is the nicest non-home cooked Christmas dinners I've ever enjoyed. Starters were fab as they always are, while for the main course, the turkey was tender and flavoursome, gravy gorgeous, and veg and potatoes plentiful and beautifully cooked - creamy bread sauce was the highlight for me: I love the stuff! service was as always friendly, helpful and low-key - just as always.

I find it utterly bizarre that The Granary isn't packed-out permanently - I know times are hard, but prices here represent exceptional value, so my advice to anyone reading is: use it or lose it, and, selfishly, I'd HATE that to happen!

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Eileen F, Owner at the Granary Cafe-Bar-Bistro, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Thank you for choosing to visit us again and taking the time to write another great review. We appreciate your continued support and look forward to seeing you again soon

yorkshire
“A 21 st birthday family get together ..perfect evening”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

Table for 10 food and service brilliant and thank you for the little touches of birthday banners and table confetti..see you in the new year

Thank you for another wonderful review. We are very happy that you chose to celebrate your daughters special birthday with us and glad that the evening went well. Thank you for your continued support, looking forward to seeing you again soon