“Fantastic food, fantastic quirky hotel” 5 of 5 stars

You added The Sidings Hotel to your Saves list
The Sidings Hotel
Station Road, Shipton-by-Beningbrough YO30 1BT , England   |
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food, fantastic quirky hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011

My partner & I booked this through Groupon and stayed there 2 days ago for my partner's birthday. It was a little tricky to find but once there it was just as we expected. Lets face it - you're in a train carriage so anyone who expects a top star hotel experience could be disappointed, but if you go expecting to stay somewhere a little different - you'll love it!! Yes, the room is small - it's a train carriage! Yes, it's a little dated - it's a train carriage! Some reviews we read complained of the room being too hot, ours was just right. Like another review, our room was overlooking the car park, but it was clean and tidy and the bed was HUGE!! We had a little nose around before dinner and found the four poster room - oh how I would love to stay in that room!! (maybe next time) It was a completely charming hotel. The lady on reception/ bar/waitressing was very very nice & very helpful - sorry I don't know her name but her regular job is with horses so she'll know who she is. Before dinner, my partner had a pint and & I had a glass of rose wine. Sometimes I find wine a little tart and usually have lemonade with it but this was very drinkable- hence the 2 glasses before dinner :) We sat in the conservatory and watched the trains go by. There was a lovely log fine in the foyer/bar area, but two other couples were sitting by it so we opted to sit by a window. We ate in another carriage which gave the whole experience authenticity and the meal was fantastic - I just can't praise the food enough. Yum yum yum yum yum :) After a very good night's sleep we had breakfast which was self service and basically cereals, yoghurts fruit, juice and toast. Tea and coffee was supplied and re-filled by the owner (sorry, I didn't get his name either). He was also very friendly and welcoming. We asked about staying on New Year's Eve but unfortunately it is fully booked. Nevertheless, we WILL be returning!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

318 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011 via mobile

We have had a wonderful time staying here, we were well looked after and would return again thank you Sid & staff for making it a well worth overnight stay.

• Stayed November 2011
merseyside
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

My wife booked this trip for me as a surprise, and didn't tell me until we set off from home.
Now we could not be described as Roy and Haley, by any strech of the imagination, and train-spotting would put a glass-eye to sleep, and I would rather eat broken glass, so imagine my trepidation at staying in a four-poster bed in a converted railway carriage, OMG !!

Upon arrival at The Sidings my fears were immediately put to rest, we met "Sid" the owner.
Sid, real name Styros, is a diamond. He showed us around the place and made us feel at home and at ease. The Sidings consists of 4 railway carriages, the old corridor type, and a main building housing the bar area. The main building is well decorated and clean, and very welcoming, a bit like Sid really !!
We stayed in room 8, and we found it to be quite spacious, clean, very comfortable, and quirky. After all, apart from the Queen and a few posh-people, who sleeps on a train in a four-poster bed?
We booked through a Groupon deal, and this included a 3-course meal and a bottle of wine. We paid an extra £15 for the four-poster, but do yourself a favour, this is well worth the extra.
Our meal, booked for 9.00 pm, was served in the dining carriage, and again this was well appointed and comfortable. The food was excellent, all 3 courses were really well cooked and presented, and the wine was really good, not the expected cheap-vinegar. We retired to the bar after our meal feeling quite content and happy. My enquiry about what time the bar closed made me very happy indeed, as Sid said " we serve until you go to bed"
We pushed ourselves until 1.30am and surrendered.
Breakfast is buffet-style and again it was well presented. I asked for the room for another night, as we both really enjoyed ourselves so much, alas it was booked.
In all we had an excellent stay at The Sidings, food and accomodation were top notch, and the hospitality was superb. The deal is not expensive, and the general idea is "see it for what it is", dont expect 5 star at 2 star prices, far too many reviewers expect too much for their money and let the "review" empower them as if they are Hotel-Inspectors.
This deal is "different", quirky, and good fun. Just go there and enjoy yourself, you wont be disappointed. Roy and Haley eat your heart out !!

Room Tip: Try and book room 8. This is a four-poster bedroom, and is very spacious, en-suite, and comfortable...
yorkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

i booked the Sidings as a surprise for my boyfriend for his birthday and he absolutly loved it, we stayed in one of the four poster rooms, food was superb and plentiful, staff very friendly and accomodating, felt like a personalised service. An interesting quirky stay, something different. Would cerainly return for one of their specialised Greek evenings!

Room Tip: Go for four poster room!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Harrogate, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

Went on a groupon voucher What a dreadful place arrived in the middle of a Saturday afternoon bar area quite nice and tidy then shown to room OMG dirty scruffy - room looked onto car park and the filthy blind only covered half the window - bed so small I would have had trouble sleeping in it. Outside rubbish piled under carriages. Stayed 10 minutes and left. The guy who originally greeted us made no attempt to persuade us to stay - in fact he found it quite amusing that we were leaving - makes you wonder how many times that had happened before. Wasted £60 but believe me it was money well wasted !!

Leeds, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

Like several other reviewers, we booked this via a Groupon deal. We are not particularly rail enthusiasts but we thought it would be fun to spend the night in a converted railway carriage, and of course the deal was very good.
We arrived early to go for a cycle ride and asked if we could leave our car parked on the premises – this was no problem. We were asked by the genial host Sid if we wanted a double or twin and we requested the twin room. This would be ready at 2pm. Although we returned at about 2.20pm, our room didn’t become available until just before 3pm – a minor point.
We were then shown to the ‘Rail Enthusiasts room’, which turned out to be the only twin. It proved to be the room absolutely next to the East Coast Main Line, so it is well named! A huge volume of trains rattle past at a great rate, causing the carriage and its contents to shake and rattle alarmingly. This is not a complaint as we knew the location when we booked. Despite the noise, we actually managed to get a decent night’s sleep.
In all honesty, the railway carriages have seen much, much better days and our room was in need of a complete overhaul and lots and lots of refurbishment. It had a small chest of drawers, but no wardrobe. The bathroom was frankly tatty: the shaver light did not work (although it was not needed) and although there was a pedal bin, there was no ‘inside’ to it, so nowhere to throw our rubbish. The curtains were mismatched and grubby, and there wasn’t a bedside light for one of the (very small) twin beds. The paint work was very shabby and peeling.
The restaurant area is fairly modern, well looked after and full of railway memorabilia. There was a limited menu available for Groupon guests, and the food turned out to be not too bad, served by our host Sid (I think the guy does everything!). Breakfast in the morning was continental and fairly plain, but nicely set out in the restaurant. Again, service from Sid was pleasant.
Despite its failings, we genuinely do not want to be totally negative. The food seems to be quite good –(not haute cuisine) – a mixture of Italian and Greek. It was great idea 23 years ago to convert the railway carriages into rooms, but time has taken its toll and they are in desperate need of refurbishment. If you are a rail enthusiast, you might well enjoy this place despite the poor quality of the accommodation and you will have a pleasant meal served by a genial host.

leeds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

I have recently used a Groupon voucher. i was at the hotel in October and must admit that the whole place is something different.
The food was really nice and the staff very friendly. Sid, the manager was helpful and looked after us.
Visited the place with my girlfriend and stayed at room 4. to be honest i was really excited but also curious to see how a room would look inside a carriage. we were shown the room and it was fine. Having read the previous reviewsbefore my visit, I must admit i was a bit worried. But when I saw it , it was just fine. The rooms are built in the carriage so to all the rest of you that will visit Sidings, keep your expectations to a normal level. If you are looking for a super luxurious room ,you'd better try Savoy London Hotel then!. For me and the gilfriend the room worked fine. I think sometimes people look for a room like their homes BUT this is a train carriage and frankly speaking, dont think i could find a similar one anywhere else, and believe me I have travelled a lot abroad.
The food is a mixture of Italian & Greek kitchen and.my girlfriend really liked it and so did I Try the dips !!!
the breakfast is satisfactory but they also have a breakfast menu, so we didnt not leave hungry.
In general, the place/train is something completely different and really fine place to stay and enjoy a weekend. its location is not bad at all.
I would definitely recommend it and will certainly visit again in the future.

Room Tip: try room 4! i hada look at the 4-poster room, really good
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Sidings Hotel? Share your experiences!