“Another faultless stay...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Felin Fach Griffin

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Felin Fach
The Felin Fach Griffin
You added The Felin Fach Griffin to your Saves list
Felin Fach, Felin Fach LD3 0UB, Wales   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Felin Fach
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
“Another faultless stay...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

I have stayed several times now at the Griffin and it simply seems to get better with every visit. The meals that I have had there have, without exception, been memorable and there are always fascinating new discoveries to be made in the wine list. As a place to stay, it really is a retreat, comforting and friendly. But above all, as several other reviewers have remarked, it is the quality of the staff that really sets the Griffin apart from the general run of restaurants with rooms. So as well as a review this is a thank you to Laura, Ob, Huw, and Rhys for their unfailing grace, charm and good-humour. You always make my visits to the Griffin a delight and that's why I keep coming back.

Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

We only ate here, but I cannot praise the staff here enough. We were welcomed by the friendliest and most helpful barman I have ever met - and thoroughly looked after by the knowledgeable and friendly staff from thereon. They were never overbearing, and provided the perfect level of service.

The menu was seasonal and interesting without being intimidating - the dishes we ordered were delicious and perfectly executed. The drinks were also excellent. We tried a wonderful Welsh fizz and a tasty french Rose. There really is nothing to dislike at this restaurant. Go!

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

This is a lovely inn in a beautiful location. It is a little remote and both phone and WiFi service were intermittent. The main feature of this hotel is the quality of the staff. They are all friendly, helpful, cheerful and knowledgeable and there is nothing they won't do for you. In the bedroom the comfy chair was wooden and uncomfortable and the beautifully equipped tea tray was on a collapsible trolley which collapsed. I mentioned this in the morning and on our return we found a very soft comfortable comfy chair with the tea trolley on a sturdy table.
We discovered that we were in the Brecon Beacons between the Black Mountain and the Black Mountains. We had 2 whole days to explore but no clue how to start. We spoke to Julie the manager who photocopied the relevant pages from our road atlas and highlighted in green a suggested route for each day with highlights in pink what and where to look out for interesting things. These routes worked perfectly and we had 2 wonderful days.
Being in Wales we were looking forward to lamb for dinner. The first night the only lamb on the menu was a shoulder of lamb prepared in such a fancy was that it was not recognizable as lamb, and the second night lamb was not on the menu. At breakfast the third morning we asked if lamb would be on the dinner menu for that evening and we were told not. However the waitress spoke to the chef and said they would provide lamb that night for dinner and asked how we liked it? It was superb. I hope these notes convey something of the quality of the Griffin and I heartily recommend it.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

Had a meal at the Griffin and didn't really know what to expect. The welcome from a really pleasant young lady was fantastic. She was polite, professional and really down to earth. I believe that her name was Lauren. But that was just to start! We were then introduced to a gentleman called Rees who was outstanding. He was really passionate about his work and did everything within his means to make sure our meal was special. The food was fantastic, I opted for the rib eye of beef and my wife had the turbot and I must say it was a meal to remember. This place is quality with service to make anyone smile. I will definitely be back! I just wished I lived closer. My only gripe was a mature Irish lady who seemed to be on a mission to be stressed and completely out of place. In my opinion, the staff here are amazing. From Lauren taking the order to Rees being Mr fantastic. (My wife would also like to add that every place should have a Rees). Keep up the good work!

Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

We had two evening meals on consecutive nights. We were welcomed from the first moment we walked in — bedraggled and gasping for a drink as we were.

The ambience and decor were tasteful and homely, the food and service were really, really excellent (over those two nights were were served by 6 people in on capacity or another and every single person was lovely).

I would recommend this without reserve. Please don't change the staff or the chef !

Swansea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

My mother chose this hotel to celebrate her 70th birthday with her daughters. We met on a very hot day and sat outside drinking and talking, the hotel has a very laid-back, relaxed feel which is what we love. My sister joined us after a long journey and we ordered lunch. As it was very hot we weren't very hungry so my sisters had starters which were lovely and my mother and I shared a Ploughman's. This was very poor and overpriced (one piece of cheese, apple, gerkin, pickled onions, a couple of slices of soda bread, etc) certainly not what we had in mind!!
We were shown to our rooms we had two twin rooms with en suite bathrooms. They were very comfortable but incredibly hot as there is no air con or fan, this made it very difficult to sleep.
The bathroom was big with a lovely big bath, White Company complimentary products, lovely fluffy towels - what i love when I am staying away!
We went down for dinner and we had a lovely waiter called Hugh who went out of his way to make my mother's birthday special and memorable!
Our meal was delicious, my mother is an incredible cook and can be very hard to please when eating out, but the food certainly impressed her (as well as the rest of us!!).
To end the meal we had a birthday cake which we had forgotten about but when it came out and we sang 'Happy Birthday' it looked so nice we all had a piece (and indeed it was worth the splurge!).
All-in-all, we all vowed we would return because the hotel ticked all our boxes.. relaxing, lovely, helpful staff, good food, .. may need to think about fans in rooms though!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Essex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

I visited as was in the area for Hay festival and had enjoyed Gurnards Head, owned by same people.
The Griffin serves good food in a very pleasant atmosphere.
I did not stay, only had lunch, but would consider a break here.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Been to The Felin Fach Griffin? Share your experiences!