“Lovely food, very dog friendly and well situated to visit the Brecon Beacons” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Felin Fach Griffin

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Felin Fach
The Felin Fach Griffin
You added The Felin Fach Griffin to your Saves list
Felin Fach, Felin Fach LD3 0UB, Wales   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Felin Fach
“Lovely food, very dog friendly and well situated to visit the Brecon Beacons”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

We spent two nights here so we were well placed to walk and explore the Black Mountains and the Breacon Beacons.
The hotel is situated just off a busy road outside Brecon and there is some road noise in the bedrooms if you sleep with the windows open but we did not find this too obtrusive and did not stop us sleeping.
The hotel is very dog friendly with bowls and biscuits provided and the staff obviously used to four legged guests.
The food is excellent, using local ingredients and where possible vegetables and herbs from the garden. It is worth staying for the dinner bed and breakfast rates offered. The wine list is interesting and we had a good unusual Italian wine.
The staff were friendly and welcoming and the service is good.
Well worth staying a night - just a pity it is not located somewhere more picturesque.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Bath
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Having visited the sister pub in Cornwall we decided to pay the Griffin a visit whilst staying closeby in the Brecons. the pub was on a busy road but once inside there wasn't any traffic noise. As it was Easter sunday all tables were booked so we just had a drink from the small bar. The interior was very smart and would be a good place to eat. However it is not really a place to go only for a drink.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Newport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Perfect afternoon...snow outside and I was inside The Felin Fach enjoying a fantastic Sunday Roast in front of a lovely log fire...great scenery around that area too. The date and walnut sponge pudding with treacle sauce and ice cream was heaven!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Worcester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here with family and friends for my surprise 60th birthday celebration. It was a great weekend. All 12 of us enjoyed excellent hospitality. There was a good choice of well prepared and presented food. The choice of beers and wines was very good. And they dried 12 sets of wet walking gear and boots. What more could you ask for?

• Stayed March 2013
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

After such a dreary winter, this two-day break couldn’t have come at a better time – for a start we were blessed with great weather for the weekend of our stay which made walking in the Brecons a great experience and most importantly we were looked after at the Felin Fach by such amazing staff who presented beautiful food for every meal and for whom nothing was too much trouble – even by making us flasks of hot chocolate to take on our hike up Sugar Loaf mountain as part of the annual Crickhowell Walking Festival.

We took advantage of the Sunday Sleepover deal for which they are well known. Arrive for a Sunday lunch, check-in to your cosy room and then while away a few hours before being served a three-course dinner. Added to which, breakfast the next day is included in the package price. What could be better…. Well another night’s stay of course - which we did.

Having stayed at their sister hotel in Cornwall, I was hoping that the Felin would be as great. We weren’t disappointed. To use a Welsh word, we had such a 'cwtchy' and cosy time and completely recharged our batteries.

Roaring fire, squishy squashy sofas, a fabulous wine list, a cute bar area and several quirky little rooms and dinky corners to dine added to the convivial atmosphere.

Plus my sister and I were able to catch up on some much-needed ‘girl’ time. What could be better?

Highly recommended and will be back as soon as possible.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

We had the Sunday Sleepover to celebrate my husband's birthday and endorse all the positive comments made by reviewers. Our room, No3, was cosy and characterful with a wonderfully comfortable bed. The food at both lunch and dinner was imaginative and well cooked. Service was slick and friendly. There's really not a lot more you can want. We will certainly return and visit the sister properties in Cornwall.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Bangor, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I've passed The Griffin hundreds of times over the years when travelling between North and South Wales. However, through the misfortune of having another establishment cancel my overnight booking, I was booked into The Griffin instead, and am now kicking myself for not stopping here before.
The room I had was OK - a bit small, and if I had wanted to do some paper work that evening it would have been difficult due to lack of desk space. However, the room was spotlessly clean, and the bathroom had White Company toiletries. Lovely - one of my favourites! Bed and pillows -comfortable, duvet - hot (but maybe says more about my time of life!)
Having overcome the trauma of no wi-fi and no reliable phone signal...and then realising that there was no television in the room either - I turned to the radio on the bedside and found myself relaxing. By the time I went downstairs for dinner I was completely out of work-mode, and the warm cosiness of the bar area, with the squishy leather sofas and rocking chair made me relax even more.
Dinner was fabulous! I had the spiced crabmeat balls, beef rib (cooked to perfection!) with mildly curried cauliflower, and even though I was determined not to have a dessert - succumbed to the creme brûlée. The wine list is excellent - and because they're willing to do most by the glass or carafe it's possible to mix and match with the food.
Breakfast was also good - with really good quality back bacon and sausage. The home-mixed muesli was also really good. Apple juice makes a welcome change from orange juice.
So - I will be back - but with my dog the next time ;-) I think he would appreciate the stack of blankets and dog biscuits that are available for doggie guests.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Felin Fach Griffin? Share your experiences!