“eatdrinksleep” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Felin Fach Griffin

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Felin Fach
The Felin Fach Griffin
You added The Felin Fach Griffin to your Saves list
Felin Fach, Felin Fach LD3 0UB, Wales   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Felin Fach
Certificate of Excellence 2014
UK
“eatdrinksleep”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

2 nights staying at the Felin Fach Griffin near Abergavenny where the food was superb and the staff very friendly. The rooms have no TV but a Roberts radio which makes a nice change and plenty of reading matter. Not surprising as Hay On Wye is just a few miles up the road.

Plenty of boiling hot water and great pressure in the showers!

I know it's perhaps just a small consideration for some but the quality of the cotton sheets have made me determined to source better next time when purchasing bedding for home because I thought I did. Obviously not!

Room Tip: Avoid room 3 which is above the kitchens!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
sevenoaks
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

We stayed here for two nights as part of a touring holiday and found the Pub to be user friendly with comfortable seating areas and a good bedroom . The restaurant was excellent with good service and very good food . All in all a very enjoyable stay , in keeping with the sister hotel in Cornwall which we also enjoyed last year .

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Brecon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

My wife had a birthday meal with the girls 2 months ago at the Griffin. Since then she has raved on about how good the steak was. So our 6th wedding anniversary meal was at the Griffin and I was so looking forward to my steak!!!
As soon as I saw the menu the mackerel stood out as one of my favourite ingredients so I chose this on the basis that Laura was having another steak.
The mackerel was perfectly cooked and complimented by roasted baby new potatoes and puréed peas. However......... I gratefully accepted the offer of some of Laura's steak and ....WOW.
I frequently eat steak when out for a meal, bit this was in another league. I would love to know how the chef can infuse that much flavour in a rib eye cooked for so little time, it was melt in the mouth texture with a beautifully browned coating that had my taste buds begging for another mouthful.
To top it off the staff were attentive without hovering around, and prices which are not ridiculous.

I am already looking forward to my next excuse to visit again soon........... Thanks to all at the Griffin for a wonderful meal.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Cardiff
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

A great find!
This place does everything right and it really deserves
"The best in in the UK" which it recently obtained from the good pub guide. see for yourself

Very friendly staff
An exceptionally high standard of cuisine
Good selection of drinks including real ale not that easy to find.
Reasonable prices
Lovely environment

What else can I say but to go and visit if you haven't already.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Oxford, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Took advantage of the Felin Fach Griffin's Dinner/B&B rate in August 2012. It's great value. Rooms are small but cosy; bathrooms have very hot water and powerful showers and real tea and coffee is provided. The atmosphere around the bar is very relaxed - we curled up on the sofas and read books for a couple of hours before dinner. Food is very good indeed - unpretentious but full of attention to detail and genuine in its commitment to local produce - the soup was some of the tastiest I've ever eaten. Breakfast also very good. We found the staff at both breakfast and dinner to be very pleasant and helpful (and I could hear the breakfast waitress in particular being asked to accommodate a range of requests from fussier customers!). We have recommended it to family and friends.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

My Wife took me here earlier in the year for my Birthday and I can honestly say that it is one of the best places I have ever stayed, and I have stayed in some very good hotels. Everything from the rooms, the food and the lovely seating area by the fire make this a must. It is also great for walking in the local brecon beacons where the scenery is some of the best in the country.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

Faultless stay. Eat, Drink and Sleep is absolutely correct. Every facet thereof was divine. Very attentive service wherever you were in the hotel. So unusual for there to be real tea and coffee in the bedrooms, a welcome change. This shows attention to detail found throughout the hotel which is lost in soleless chain hotels. Our dog Tassie cannot wait to return and be pampered. Look forward to return visit.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Felin Fach Griffin? Share your experiences!