“Really really poor with shocking management attitude” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Delivery
Dining options: Delivery
York, United Kingdom
“Really really poor with shocking management attitude”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

Went for a meal here as I had takeaways from here in the past which were good. The interior was looking pretty worn as was the cutlery and plates but the food was relatively cheap.

We ordered the special mixed banquet for 2. Platter special Starter turned up, barely a thimbleful of seaweed and no sauces so asked for a dipping sauce and a top up of the seaweed as it was part of the mixed platter we ordered. The waitress brought a big bowl of seaweed and a small bowl of dipping sauce, no problems.

Then the main course eventually turned up, completely the wrong order, waitress apologises, the order turns up 10 minute later with the same now coldish rice and is frankly rubbish. The duck dish was just bits of fat, only a few king prawns and the sweet and sour chicken was chunky but basic.

We ate and quickly got the bill, which to our amazement had an extra £4 of charges for the sauce and seaweed. We asked the manager why were being charged extra for food we had already ordered as part of the platter to which his memorable reply was it was only an extra couple of quid so we shouldn't mind! He made no attempt to apologise for the poor service, wrong order and overcharging and just handed the machine over for payment.

My wife made it very clear we would never be coming back, he just shrugged his shoulders and walked off. I urge you to avoid this place like the plague. Attitudes towards customers like this belong in the dark ages so please go anywhere else but here.

• Visited July 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

61% Recommend
“Fantastic Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

We have eaten here many times and the food is always fantastic, the prices are so reasonable,we love it.

• Visited May 2012

verey nice food .everyone so pleasent .lovley garden

Visited February 2012
“Good Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

As you may be able to see from my profile photo, I am not a stranger when it comes to oriental cookery. That's me in Manchester’s top Chinese restaurant cooking.

Went for a take away as could not be bothered to cook that night, even though the bar man in the local pub said it was not good food.

Obviously this is a converted pub, reception was ok and there was the restaurant to the left, which was full of noisy women that night, so glad we didn’t have a sit down.

It was very busy with people ordering take away, so I thought we would have a little wait, so I ordered a pint while I was waiting (and no I wasn’t driving) I asked how long it would be and was told 5 minutes.

Now I can cook a Chinese main meal in 5 minutes not a problem, but that did surprise me because of the amount of people ordering.

I don’t even think I had taken two slips from my drink before the guy said, yours is ready.
I thought they must either have an army of cooks in the back or the food was going to be bad.

I have to say I am glad to report that the food was in fact very good and we were not disappointed.

So as long as the standards remain as good we will order a takeaway again, just not a drink while we wait as I hate having to rush my drink.

• Visited March 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
York, United Kingdom
“Great food, service needs attention”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012 via mobile

Visited on a Saturday evening for an early tea (6pm). We were the only ones in the restaurant for a short while but it soon started filling up. Don't let the first impression when you walk into the bar put you off, the restaurant which is in the conservatory is lovely.
Young gentleman waiter was efficient & polite, quickly getting us drinks and taking our order. We got prawn crackers to start which came with a lovely spicy sauce, then a Thai green chicken curry and a sizzling peking chicken for mains. The Thai green curry was a bit strange, just like a Chinese curry with an avocado-coloured food colouring poured in, contained green pineapple, mushrooms, water chestnuts, chillies and chicken pieces! Bit strange but edible. Certainly not Thai. The sizzling chicken was delicious, nice & spicy and all ingredients were fresh.
The only downer was the 2 young waitresses that stood gossiping loudly at their 'station' the whole time, before announcing what they were going to do which was off-putting "I'm gonna go see of they want puddings" so she came over. Walked back "they don't want puddings" etc etc. probably wouldn't have noticed if the restaurant was full but we could hear every word, even when they were doing impressions of the chef which was a bit unprofessional.
We would definitely visit again, but just eat later in the evening so it will hopefully be busier.
1st class food, at afforable prices, just need to teach the waitresses a bit of etiquette.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere