“Great hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Clifton
York, United Kingdom
“Great hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is one of the best on this side of town family run u have to go have a meal here we went mothers day on the off chance they found a tavle in the front window was brilliant the food was well worth the wait and the mother in law loved it just a bit price.e for me i had 3 course for 16£ and the 2course was was 12£and grandson 10 mixed up the cost but it was good foos so i did not mind will go again and will suggest to others

• Stayed April 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
north yorkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We have just spent on night at The Beechwood with our son.Our room was excellent,one double and two singles.The beds were extreamly comfortable.The room itself was nicely decorated and very clean.We spent the day in York,which was a 10 to 15 mins walk to the Minster.There is an excellent bus service if needed.On return to the hotel we decided to eat in the restaurant.We were seen to immediately by a very nice and attentive waitress.The food and wine were excellent.We were in bed fairly early,but considering we were above the bar,we were not disturbed.Breakfast was first class,as was the service.Overall we would stay here again,as they cater for a one night stay on the weekend.Cheers.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
York, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I took my husband here for his Birthday Meal. We found it very expensive, poor quality and small portions for prices. I ordered Coffee £2-20p for half a cup, I asked for a refill and when we got the bill had been charged for a second cup. Shall not be going again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Booked in for two nights,Friday & Saturday for eight of us for a family weekend.Nothing was too much for the staff.We ate in both nights as well as staying for Mothers Day lunch on the Sunday.Food was first class at all times.Not too long a walk into town the only problem was the weather but even the staff as good as they were could do nothing about that.Would definately stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Birmingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Tripadvisor why is there no zero rating!

Just returned from a one night stay at this 'Hotel' and what an absolutely awful experience it was from start to finish. On arrival we waited at the reception desk, after a short while a guy came behind looked at us shuffled a few papers and said 'name'. Hmm not a great start to our experience, certainly lacking a warm welcome!

When we got into the room it had not been set up for 3 people, there was only 2 towels, 2 cups, 2 coffees etc. We mentioned this to them on our way out and it was soon rectified.

We had travelled to York to complete a charity run. After returning to the room, getting changed etc we headed out to York. When we came past reception (1130pm) there were two staff on who immediately reprimanded us for our 'behaviour'. Apparently whilst making our way from the room downstairs we were being loud. This is not something I will disagree with and would have certainly appreciated a quiet word about it, and would have duly apologised.

Unfortunately what we got instead was comments such as "if you make that noise when you come back you can pay for everyones room / carry on and we'll kick you out / just be careful the police in yorkshire are tough". Now don't get me wrong if we do something wrong then we expect to be told, what we don't expect is a barrage of totally over the top one liners for which was a situation that could have easily been rectified with a simple sorry. After all we are all adults and certainly do not expect to be spoken to like we are in high school.

Needless to say we were as quiet as a mouse on our return! They seen three lads on their way out and put us in a stereotypical category and decided to come down on us. All this time I am having to remind myself that they have took our money for this experience, yes we actually paid to be spoken to like children.

Something positive? Oh the breakfast was good.

We booked a family room that sleeps three for which we paid a £45 deposit and the balance or £45 to be paid on checkout. When I went to checkout the lady advised me the remainder to pay was £70. I explained that my confirmation stated a total cost of £90 and a balance due of £45. At this point she went to speak to claire (more about her later!) and was told there was a £45 balance and then a £25 charge for the '"extra person". Hmm I looked around me, nope still only 3 of us here! The confirmation sheet she had in her hand said total cost of £90 and on the top in pen someone had scribbled on +£25.

I was told that that the £90 was the room price for 2 adults and 2 children not 3 adults. Obviously I was not happy about this and refused to pay the extra. I had booked it on their website direct, chose the family room which states in the room details ' sleeps 3 price is per room per night' and even had to select the number of adults.

Again I was told as it was 3 adults there is a extra charge.

Still not happy with the situation I asked to speak to Claire myself. She came to speak to me and said the room comes up as £90 and in the terms and conditions it states that if there is 3 adults then there is a supplement of £25. I said this is not the case and got the website up in front of her on my phone and asked her to show me where it states that. Claire then came out with a few one liners which included "I've been a hotelier for a number of years now / its in the t&c's you should have read them / you will pay the full price" ...... and so on! She then promptly disappeared and I was left again at reception with the lady who I had first spoken to about it (very professional lady clearly in a tricky situation with such an awful boss!)

She then went online as if she was making a booking and guess what there was no mention of any supplement. Oh surprise that!

This whole shambles had been going on for about 20 minutes now so I asked to speak to Claire again. On her return her attitude was just awful, the worst customer service experience ever. She again said it was my fault and I need to pay in full, I said I will pay the balance of £45 now or nothing at all, at which point she said " thats fine I have your card details i'll just take it all later "

I said that I have not authorised a payment to be made and again asked her if she wanted me to pay the due balance of £45, after all when I booked it that is what was stated was due, the confirmation in her hand stated £45 due, and on her website there is no note of additional supplements.

She then sat at her PC trying to find out where it states it. I said I do not care if it is in the t&c's or not as it is clearly not clear enough when booking, and there was nothing on the confirmation. Further time passed and I said I need to get going can I make the payment now. She got up out of her desk and come out to me and said "just go I do not have time for this today its Mothers day and I am busy, I will email you the bill later including the supplement and will take the money from your card". Again I said I am not authorising that and am also not leaving as I want to pay for the nights stay (the right amount!). She then said "get out of the hotel, go now. Leave". She then stormed off.

By this point the guy from last night was back behind reception and had heard all of what was being said. He said I can see her point of view it is in the t&c's although I can too see your point of view as it's not clear enough. I said I was not leaving until I had paid the balance at which point he offered to take the £45 balance (and not the £25 on top). Finally someone with a bit of common sense! I paid the correct amount and left.

On my return home I have checked on my computer the terms and conditions. Oh guess what no mention of extra supplements! (see screenshot). I went through the whole booking process (see screenshots) as a new customer and there was no mention at all, it even asked you how many adults/children per room which I chose three adults, oh guess what again the price was still £90.

Clearly what has happened is when I went to ask for the spare towel etc as the room was only set up for 2 someone thought there was a extra person in the room so they decided to note it on the confirmation as an extra, where as in fact we were only after a extra towel due to their mistake in not setting up the room correctly.

Unfortunately Claire could not quite manage to work this out by herself and instead came up with an elaborate story of supplements and rewrote the terms and conditions in her own mind, before placing the whole blame at my feet.

I do not mind mistakes / oversights, we are all human and make them. What I certainly do not appreciate is a person with such a foul attitude making outlandish remarks and not sorting out the situation in a professional manor.

I have just called the hotel and asked to speak to Claire as I want to know where in her terms and conditions it states about supplements. I have attached a screen shot of their full terms and conditions, as you can see it's not there!

The person who answered said "claire is busy with service and will call you back" Dead ..... yes she put the phone down on me. I called back, erm excuse me without knowing my name or number how is she going to call me. She said to call back after 6 and again put the phone down! I called back and she then took my name and number, now i'm guessing I shouldn't worry about watching my phone as the chances of it ringing are quite frankly slim to none.

The whole place is and absolute shambles, the height of unprofessionalism. I shall be making sure that all their hotel booking agents see this complaint as clearly some people need more training in the customer service area despite "being a hotelier for a number of years".

Will I hold my breath for a call / letter / full apology ..... NO.

I would defiantly NOT recommend this place and will never EVER be back again! EVER!

Total disappointment.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We have just returned from a short weekend break in York staying at Beechwood Close Hotel. This is one of the hotels which actually accept a one night stay - many insist on at least 2. After a 4 hour journey we received a v. warm and friendly welcome from both the owners and staff. Service was excellent and attentive but not intrusive. We were even asked what temperature we wanted the radiators on! although we were free to adjust them ourselves. On arrival I was hungry and they were kind enough to cook me a substantial Full English Breakfast even before we had spent our first night. We stayed in Room 2 which overlooked the hotel garden - a spacious, clean and tastfully decorated room with a marvellously comfortable large bed. The room was more than adequately equipped for our short stay. After a short rest we walked into the centre of York a short walk from the hotel and enjoyed a few hours in the city before returning for a couple of drinks in the hotel lounge bar. Again we were welcomed by a friendly member of staff. Although we had planned to try out the excellent choice of meals prepared freshly on the premises this was scuppered by the fresh air, the potter round the city and perhaps helped along by a few bevvies in the bar we retired for an early evening nap only to awake at 10.30pm.... alas we missed trying out the food. Perhaps on our next visit and we do certainly plan to visit again in the not too distant future. Thanks again to the staff and owners for making our weekend so enjoyable.

Room Tip: We would certainly request to stay in Room 2 again.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We stayed here for two nights. A great value hotel . Very clean room and comfortable bed . Food was excellent , plenty of choice for breakfast and dinner. Staff were very friendly . A 15 minute walk into town . Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: we asked for a quiet room
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Beechwood Close Hotel? Share your experiences!