“Cosy but average.........................” 3 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Clifton Green, Clifton, York YO30 6LH, England   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Clifton
“Cosy but average.........................”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2010

We arrived on Friday and left on Monday morning......York is beautiful. The hotel is a good walking distance to the city centre. The No 2 bus is right outside the hotel that takes you into the city centre. We were in Room 203 , if you book into this hotel make sure you don't get this room. It has a pump running next to or beneath the room and the noise is very annoying. The internal landing doors banging all the time during the night needs to be addressed. Otherwise this is a very cosy and friendly hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2010

I had booked into the hotel intending to stay the weekend and go to the races with friends. Unfortunately one of our friends ended up in hospital for an operation weeks before and we had to cancel. I rang the hotel to cancel the booking and was told I would be reimbursed. When I eventually checked my bank account, I hadn't been reimbursed (bearing in mind this was weeks later after the booking). I spoke to the hotel manager and after a few emails/phone calls between us, he reimbursed the money.
I am ever so grateful as 155 pound a night it was a bit out of my price range and I couldn't afford to lose that amount of money.
So although I never stayed at the hotel on that occasion, I am very impressed with the way the manager handled the situation and would consider staying there next year, if we make it to the races!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Leicester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2010

Having read reviews from previous guests I was very apprehensive about the Hotel, I was visiting with my husband for a surprise 'birthday treat' so hoped it would be ok. We found the staff friendly, the room large with a 4 poster bed, and the complimentary mini bar a nice touch. We were above the lounge/bar and at 1.30 a.m. Sunday morning a load of giggling girls did disturb our sleep. Breakfast was nice, but for the money I have had better. Despite for negative points, I wouldn't hesitate to stay again and next time will not base my thoughts on other people's reviews. You must find out for yourself.

Darlington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2010

Unlike the description on the website, the accommodation is un-exceptional and the pricing far from gentle. The furnishing is cheap, certainly not 'lavish' as described. Bathroom wasn't fully clean and the bathmat paper!!! The bed linen stained. The free mini-bar contained two cans of pop, a small bottle of beer, small bottles of cheap fizz and red wine and two bottles of tap water! The reception staff offered the bare minimum service although the waitress at breakfast was friendly and helpful. We weren't asked if everything was ok or if we'd enjoyed our stay..The restaurant was shut.

We would be happy had this hotel been rated *** and we had paid around £50 but £145 per night- never again!

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2010

The hotel looks very nice from outside and the staff at check in was very helpful and friendly. When getting into the room to find everything we were impressed - who wouldnt be with a hotel that allows you to drink anything from the minibar for free, brings you hair straighteners and refills everything each day you stay?
It was clean and once we settled quickly. After going out for dinner we started to crash so got ready. In our room we had a double bed and two singles, so I started to climb into the first single only to find that on sitting on it I nearly went through the base!! So I moved to the second (also closer to a light to read) and it wasnt much better. The double bed was lovely and firm still but parents got preference on that one.
After finally getting comfortable and wrapping the small duvet around myself I began to drift off only to be woken by running water and heavy footsteps from the room above us! The walls were so thin! Everytime our upstairs neighbours got up in the night one of us woke up!
When I got up for breakfast I found my back was very stiff and sore from the soft matress!
Breakfast was good - nice choices and friendly staff.
So off we went for a day out. On coming back no staff to be found! Stood for 10 minutes ringing the desk bell and calling out to get the room key back! Think my parents thought I ran away.
As promised everything had been restocked including the fresh milk - well sour milk!
Quickly got that rectified. And the night was exactly like the first but possibly more uncomfortable so probably only got a few minutes sleep at a time!
Breakfast on our last day was a joke!!! one person working everything - including reception! Had to actually nearly grab the girl serving to ask her to take our order!! Eventually got our food after 15 - 20 minutes wait while other people were served who arrived after us! Quality of food was good though and was quickly eaten.
Check out was another joke! Not a staff member in sight!!! So there we stand - Dad ringing the desk bell and me off to the restaurant to find someone to help only to be told "yeah gimme a minute" and the girl walks into the kitchen.
Eventually on leaving another staff member arrives but by then it was too late!!
Only bonus that we found was that they only charged us for 2 breakfasts over 2 days instead of 6! Not complaining about that.
Wouldnt stay here again if you paid me - even for the location!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Leeds, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2010

On arrival service ok. Paid for superior room got standard bathroom with peeling tiles and a plug that didnt fit the sink.
More staff stood smoking than were serving the cold breakfast.
The minibar was a joke and not even a spoon to stir hot drinks.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Nottingham
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2010

nasty. Also dirty. Definately not hotel boutique. More like DSS B&B. No good having a black and white bedroom unless it's done high end. It felt like a victorian bedroom were bodies were laid to rest before buriel. And I'm not exagerating. Creepy... Don't do it to yourself. Car park too small so no spot available. Parking on side streets only available til 8am next day. What good is that? We left for a luxury hotel for less than Hotel Noir charged. That's when our weekend began.....

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Noir? Share your experiences!