“good value” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Clifton
Swansea, South Carolina, United States
“good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

I stayed at this hotel recently. The room was compact, clean, and at a great price. Heads up, I arrived late and the small car park was fll so needed to use on street car parking. So arrive early if you want a parking place.

Room Tip: This hotel has quite steep staircases, an narrow corridors - so if you have mobility issues then mak...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
HotelNoirAdmin, Manager at Hotel Noir, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Thank you for your review, that is good advice for parking but also be aware that we have free on street parking immediately next to the Hotel so everyone should find a space. I’m very glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and hope we can welcome you back if you are visiting York again in the future, Kind regards, Hotel Noir

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

This was my second visit to the noir and once again i was more than pleased. My boyfriend and I booked this hotel as it is just a short walk into York (maybe 15-20 minutes). The hotwl itself is perfect for a little short break. Rooms are tidy and modern and You have everything you need. This is definitely the hotel I will return too next time I am in York. Brilliant value for money!! :) highly recommend!!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
HotelNoirAdmin, Manager at Hotel Noir, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Thank you for your excellent feedback! I hope we can continue to welcome you to the hotel in future, please give us a call direct and we can offer you a 10% discount from the advertised rates as a returning customer.

Leeds, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

We visited this hotel last minute and we booked a 4 poster room. The room was nice but needing a little revamp I think. Some of the paint was peeling off on skirting boards etc. Bed was really comfy. However we both had a bad nights sleep. The room was so hot. We turned the radiator down and opened windows but the heat was coming from the bathroom. I tried to turn this down as it was on full but the thermostat was broken. Because we had the windows open trying to cool the room the traffic was really loud. The bathroom to me didnt match the room spec. It was dated. They had a mini bar in the room which was free unless you were in a compact room..what ever that means. That was a nice touch. Had some chocolates in there too. The drinks at the bar was averagely priced. We decided to try some cocktails (2 for £10) I wont sugar coat it. They were awful. We didnt finish them. There were sheets and towels dumped in the corridor outside our room and boxes next to our room door left by the cleaner. Health and safety would of had a field day. Also I felt it looked like they wanted us to be out asap so thay they could get in and clean it. Breakfast was nice. Help yourself to cereals, toast and fruit. Tea and coffee. We had full english. Was really good. I marked this as a 3 because of the poor nights sleep we had. If we had slept better it would have been a 4. Just a few details missing for me.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
HotelNoirAdmin, Manager at Hotel Noir, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Thank you for your feedback – I'm pleased you enjoyed most aspects of your stay but sorry to hear you had some issues. You did report the radiator in the bathroom to me when you checked out and it has now been fixed. I must apologise that it lead to a disturbed night’s sleep for you.

Our housekeepers will get straight to work on rooms that have already checked out as soon as they arrive as there is only a small window in which to turn round the hotel’s rooms before check in starts again at 2pm, however unlike in many hotels we will never knock on your door before 11am when check out finishes – our housekeepers check with reception which rooms have checked out before they enter any rooms. I can assure you it is not our intention to hurry anyone to check out sooner by placing sheets out in the corridors.

I would like to welcome you back to the hotel in future if you are visiting York again, please contact the hotel directly and we will ensure you get the best available room at the best possible price.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

We booked this hotel very last minute at a cost of £86. The room situated at the front (main road side) so was quite noisy with the traffic and old sash style windows. The room was very basic. The bathroom suite looked like it had been the same design since 1970. We didn't have an electric shower just a mixer connection from the bath taps. The shower screen leaked which left 1 foot of water on the floor! Minibar, if you could call it that was poor. It was very warm inside the room which my partner wasn't complaining about but i found uncomfortable. It is in an ideal location and it appears from reading other reviews, rooms situated at the rear of the hotel are the better option.

• Stayed March 2014
HotelNoirAdmin, Manager at Hotel Noir, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. As a 3 star hotel we don’t aim to match a 4 star establishment. As you say, if you are disturbed by road noise then a request for a room on the back of the building is an option, however we are due to have new double glazing fitted within the next month or two and the road out front is relatively quiet overnight and doesn't affect most of our guests. Our free minibar which contains a wine, a beer, 2 branded soft drinks, and 2 bottles of mineral water, plus a prosecco and handmade chocolates in our four poster rooms, is appreciated by the majority of our guests so I’m sorry to hear you found this complimentary extra to be "poor".

We do have an ongoing program of replacing the older style bathrooms, so perhaps if you were returning in future we could allocate you a room on the back of the building with a refurbished bathroom if available.

Kent, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

I booked this on impulse in response to a bargain special offer deal that was emailed to me.
After that I read the reviews and wondered if it would be ok but my wife and I thought it was great for visiting the city. Warm comfortable room, added bonus of complimentary drinks in the mini- bar, convenient walk into town.
We didn't have our evening meal there but the breakfast was good so be pleased to use it again.
NB Car parking space is limited.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
HotelNoirAdmin, Manager at Hotel Noir, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Thank you for your review! We often receive comments along the lines of how pleasantly surprised our guests are by the hotel after reading reviews online – unfortunately it is always the case that people with negative views are far more likely to leave a review than those such as yourself who enjoyed your stay. I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel if you are visiting York again in the future. Please give us a call direct to get the best available room at the best possible price.

Atherstone, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

I booked this hotel on last minute.com and was a secret hotel. Having never used this site before it was quite exciting. I originally booked a double room for just £30.60. But has it was my birthday I phoned and upgraded to a four poster room for £20, we arrived late just after 9pm so dinner had already finished so walked into town. Which took around 15 mins. We found a lovely italian and had a very tastly meal then walked back to the hotel for the night. Our bed was massive but rather lumpy mattress and kept waking up in the night also the shower looked like it had seen better days. The room was clean and pretty and the ipod dock was a nice touch. Overall a decent room for £50 but would has been disappointed if id had paid £73. ( mainly because of the shower )

• Stayed February 2014
HotelNoirAdmin, Manager at Hotel Noir, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
I Thank you for your review. I’m glad to hear that overall your stay was a good one. We do have an ongoing program of replacing the older style bathrooms, if you are staying again, please give us a call direct and we will allocate one of our refurbished rooms if available.

Rotherham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

Wanted a hotel within easy walking distance of York City centre. The hotel was 10-15 minutes walk from the Minster. The room was warm and very comfortable. The staff were helpful and polite. We had a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed February 2014
HotelNoirAdmin, Manager at Hotel Noir, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Thank you for your review, I’m very glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and hope we can welcome you back if you are visiting York again in the future,

Kind regards, Hotel Noir

Been to Hotel Noir? Share your experiences!