“AN EXPERIENCE” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Clifton
Manchester, United Kingdom
“AN EXPERIENCE”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

Me and my daughter arrived Wednesday morning knowing that we couldn't check in till after 2 pm. We arrived at the hotel the girl who we spoke to on the reception was very helpful. Offered us a comfortable place to sit whilst waiting for our room. She offered to keep our bags and we could go off and come back any time after 2 pm to check in. We took a seat and had a lovly chat about York to the reptionist. She gave us a map and some good advice on where to eat. We arrived back at the hotel to check in. Which was very speedy but had all the information we needed. Had a lovly night stay the room was clean and comfortable had everything we needed. We didn't use the bar or restraunt So couldn't comment on that side of things. When we arrived at the desk Thursday morning to check out there was no one their to great us within a few minutes a young man arrived at the desk smelling of cigarette so I took that as people are initial to a break. I got no apology from him for not been there, I requested my bill he didn't ask if we enjoyed our stay. The fumes that was coming from him with alcohol were over powering. I settled my bill and went to leave the hotel the young man didn't say good bye or have a nice day. I see this as been very rude but our overall experience was excellent apart from the one young man on check out.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for our first wedding anniversary. It was advertised as excellent accommodation. Oh my god it could not be further from the truth. The bathroom was a dump, with almost every tile on the floor cracked in there was no handle to flush the cistern, if you wanted to watch TV it had no reception and the drawers in the room did not open. The room was dirty and dated, the windows were mucky and there was receipt under the bed from four months prior to our arrival. The mini bar included 1 bottle of beer a tiny bottle of wine and a tiny bottle of champagne A TOTAL RIP OFF. As soon as I saw my room I complained to the reception and wanted a refund but this was impossible as the manager was not present. We were shown two other rooms which went from bad to worse one was covered in dampness (so if you’re asthmatic beware) and the other room I had to trip over Henry the hover to access. I was offered £50 as compensation which I have not received, but i feel the room at £145 is over priced and not worth it. The only good point is the location.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
HotelNoirAdmin, Owner at Hotel Noir, responded to this review, September 6, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review Hotel Noir following your stay, my apologies that you were in disappointed with your stay.

In respect of the bathroom floor we accept that several tiles where broken, which is often the case in Hotel bathrooms but have since re-laid the floor as it had certainly deteriorated since its last inspection by maintenance. In fact we have reviewed all our bathroom floors and will have replaced all broken tiles by the end of the month. With regard to the broken ceramic toilet handle this issue should have been reported by Housekeeping as it seems to have happened the evening before your stay. As you can appreciate things often get broken in a Hotel and our policy is to fix these items (where physically possible) within hours of being notified of them and apologise that this did not happen in your case.

With regard to the TV reception, York is currently changing its TV signals to the digital system and the TV may have needed a retuning – this has been regular occurrence recently. The reception staff are all trained to do this.

We refunded the £50 on the day we agreed it with you but due to the banking system we understood it took several days to reach your bank account. These factors are, unfortunately, totally out of our control.

All our rooms are cleaned daily and deep cleaned once a month as a minimum, so we apologise that you found the level of cleanliness not to your level of satisfaction. I believe that you informed reception about the receipt under the bed and said at the time that it was within a week old and you had thrown it away – I would have been very shocked to see a 4 month old receipt given our cleaning policies, although possibly it was simply an old one out of a recent guest’s belongings.

Once again thank you for your time and your feedback.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011 via mobile

We stayed at the hotel noir for one night. On arrival the reception staff were nowhere to be seen so we had to hang around until they returned. Presumably from a cigarette break. The room was tiny but clean. Room was noisy we could hear next door watching tv. We used the bar in the hotel which was pricey but expected. The bar girl obviously didn't want to be there as she sat on her phone taking a personal call. When I asked her if there were any toilets she ignored me and the reception girl answered because she was still on the phone. The beds were comfy and had nice linen but overall I wouldn't stay here again if you enjoy being able to walk around the bottom of the bed without walking into the wall because the rooms are so small.

• Stayed August 2011

The Reception staff do have allotted break times but the desk should always be manned for planned breaks and our staff will have been away dealing with a guests request and we apologise for your wait.

We expect excellent customer service by our staff and they are not allowed mobiles phones with them during working hours. This individuals actions have let down the hard work under taken by the Hotels team and has been dealt with accordingly.

We are sorry you found the bar expensive but I can reassure you we price compare the Public House which is immediately next door to us to ensure our competitiveness.

Once again thank you for your time and your feedback.
Redcar, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

Stayed here for a trip to York for the Ebor festival...Price had doubled from normal but that seems to be the same for every hotel in York. Booked a Bed, breakfast and dinner package.
I had read the reviews on here after I had booked so I did go with an open mind.I did ring the hotel before our stay to say that I was a little concerned with regards ALL the very poor reviews.The person that I spoke to said that they were aware of the reviews but that he knew of alot of hotels in York that put bad reviews on here about other hotels??? I told the young man that if our friends weren't satying there we would have cancelled our booking but he assured me that we had a really nice room and it would not be changed.
I must say that our room was large clean and the bed was very comfortable.Our mini bar (which is free)had a bottle of lager a small bottle of wine 2 bottles of water and 2 cans of pop which I thought was a really nice touch(although our friends mini bar was empty from their arrival). We had booked for our evening meal and that was basic but very nice..Our friends I have to say had stayed here last year and they did notice that a number of things were different ie their room was a bit tired and the menu was completely different(the restaurant and 3rosettes last year) but we had a really pleasent evening and it was lovely setting in the restaurant having our meal.All in all a good evening.
We got back to our room around 11.30pm and after a long day at the races and a few drinks we were ready for a goods nights sleep..how wrong we were.The first noise came from the room above(although no-ones fault just very poor sound proofing) You could here everything,very squeeky floorboards and you could here the man upstairs on the loo and snoring....I eventually got to sleep around 1am to be woke with a loud bang at 5.30am which was the sound of footsteps and doors banging!!! My husband works offshore so he can more or less sleep through anything and even he was wide awake and even looked out of our room at one point to see if he could see where the noise was coming from?
When checking out we told the young man on reception that we had the worse nights sleep ever but it was met with a "Oh really I'm surprised"..It was such a shame as this is the only thing that would put us off booking this hotel again.
The staff seemed very young and no-one seems to be in charge so I think alot of attention needs to be paid to this area I think this hotel is privately owned so maybe this is the problem??? The young lady who had only been there 3days was absolutely lovely and really made an effort where the others had a couldn't be bothered attitude.

Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Sunderland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

This is the 2nd vist to this hotel. We visited here at the beginning of this year and the stay was excellent. Although the first time we had the suprerior 4 poster bedroom, we still expected a good standard this time also by having a standard larger room. The room itself was still of a good standard, but the bathroomm had problems with the water system. Getting hot water at a comfortable temperature was difficult, it was either too hot or very cold. The shower had hardly any pressure so the water was very slow, meaning having a shower took too long, the bath had no plug so as a result could not be used. The flush on the toilet was poor and took at least 2 attempts to flush correctly. Aswell as the water problems in our bathroom, toilet flushing etc could also be heard from other rooms. Our room was at the front of the hotel, but traffic noise wasn't loud enough to be an issue. Overall the stay wasn't too bad but the water system in the hotel needs modernization. The hotel location is excellent as its only a short walk into york, meaning car can be left in hotel carpark saving money from yorks carparks. Hotel carpark is small so the best time to arrive with the car would be around mid morning when people check out.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review Hotel Noir following your stay, my apologies that you were in anyway disappointed with any aspect of your stay. We are currently renovating all the Hotels bathrooms so I would appreciate knowing which room this occurred in as we are unaware of issues relating to the toilet and the balancing of heated water in the shower and wish to rectify it. The Hotel is having a new water pump fitted shortly to rectify the issues you faced in hot water pressure as this effects several rooms. As noted the Hotel car park is small but plenty of free parking is available in the immediate vicinity. Once again thank you for your time and your feedback.
lincs
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

rooms clean and comfortable, dont expect great things of the free minibar though - small bottle of wine and beer.
staff on reception friendlier than the breakfast staff, however the breakfast was more than adequate.
about 10-15 mins stroll to centre.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Morpeth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

We visited Hotel Noir for the second time this year on the weekend of 23/24 July 2011, booking a superior room at £159 per night room only. Standards seem to have dropped considerably since our last visit in February, and the hotel now seems to be cutting corners to save a few pence.
Good points:
The superior room was well furnished, complete with giant 4 poster bed, free mini bar and Tassimo drinks machine.
Bad points:
The hotel literature, both on the website and in the room says that fresh milk is provided as it is so much better than UHT... As there was none in the fridge I requested some at reception to be told "we don't do that any more as people keep stealing the bottles".. This despite 2 of those bottles containing water were already in the fridge!

We were neither offered, nor received the complimentary newspapers allegedly provided for superior room guests - presumably another few pence saved!

The bathroom did not meet the standard required of a superior room... to fit in with the black and white theme of the hotel, the coloured tiles had been hurriedly painted white, and the coloured bathroom suite was still in place (the hotel claims all rooms have now been refurbished) The shower was no more than a dribble, and the sink took an age to drain.
The complimentary toiletries are so well secured to the wall, and the movement of the bottle pumps so restricted, that extracting enough soap to wash your hands was like a mini workout!
Checkout was fast, partially because no invoice was provided, nor any enquiry made about our stay.

In summary, Hotel Noir has much potential... However the news that we couldn't be trusted with a bottle of milk, or indeed just be offered what they claimed we would get as part of our package means we will not be returning to this hotel... Enjoy the £3 or £4 you saved with your penny pinching.. and wave goodbye to the £700 a year we spend on hotels on our twice yearly visits to York!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Noir? Share your experiences!