“Great Location for Shopping” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Greenhills Elan Hotel Modern

You added Greenhills Elan Hotel Modern to your Saves list
Greenhills Elan Hotel Modern
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   49 Annapolis St, Greenhills, San Juan, Luzon 1600, Philippines   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in San Juan
Manila
“Great Location for Shopping”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2009

I checked in with my partner on Valentine's day (booked through asiatravel.com -- cheaper rates!) and found the room not yet ready. Front desk staff asked us to wait for 15 mins and gave us welcome drinks (iced tea). 15 minutes turned to a 3/4 of an hour. I approached them and asked about our room and they tell us it's actually been ready for quite a while. Well, thanks for informing me. :)

Room is quite nice. NO VIEW. I was assigned a lower floor - 3rd floor and my window opened up to the hotel's AC units.

Bed was nice. We got a king. And the bathroom was pretty standard. But we weren't there for the room. We chose the hotel for its proximity to the Greenhills Shopping Center! So we left and shopped the whole day and went back to the hotel to sleep later that night.

For the price I got, I'd say the hotel is okay. I just hope they don't fumigate me next time I stay with them. :P

No comment about the staff because I had very little interaction with them.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
NEW YORK CITY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2009

I love this hotel for its location and convenience to shopping, movies and restaurants. It is easy to go in and out, the surrounding area is not busy and really nice and quiet, not like the traffic laden hotels in pasig. The room is clean, the view is wonderful, and the room service I got was excellent. The buffet is initially good but boring if you stay more than 5 days, it becomes a repetition of each week. The selection is like a Chinese buffet (not breakfast but lunch) and I saw a roach on two occasions, The coffee is shop is lovely. There is a laundromat downstairs as well as an internet place. The staff is very friendly but at times incompetent. The biggest problem I had was the phone and cable. I requested for the staff at numerous times, to attend to my room not having cable and not having the ability to make any outside calls, domestic and international, and you know what they did? Nothing! I even had to fix the TV to work for 2 channels only!. I gave up finally and did not have those amenities. Comfort, location and convenience are OK but I did not get the help I needed to make my stay more pleasurable. I am sorry to say that this would have been a 5 star stay for me but this time, I give it three stars for those reasons. However, I will still come back and maybe I can have cable and a phone line. Elan, please address this problem, you are good enough to come back too, thanks..

• Liked — Location, cleanliness, modernity and beauty of building and rooms, convenience to all
  • Disliked — i did not get help with some amenities
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Midwest
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2008

My wife and I stayed 10 days in the Philippines visiting our family. Rather than imposing on relatives we decided to try some of the mid-priced hotels. We stayed 5 days in Malayan Plaza Hotel in Ortigas (booked on expedia) and 5 days in Elan Hotel.

If I am staying in a 500P/night room. I don't expect great service. But at 3400P , I expect mid-level service.

Let me list the pros of the hotel, since those will be shorter.

Overall Elan is organized more like a hotel. If you get a good mattress, it is more comfortable than the ones at the Malayan.

I thought the breakfast buffet had more selection - I like omelets so I was happy to see a cook available at the buffet.

If you are a low priced shopper , then being adjacent to Greenhills is a great location.

Now the cons - and (we also discussed these issues with the General manager - who we called at their home).

Staff - they shifted between incompetent and inconsistent. We walked in a booked the room and fully pre-paid for the nights. We were given a room 3717 and on the receipt it said - "king size bed -- do not change room" Of course when we came back the next morning we were given a different room with a queen bed. Now the fun begins - trying to get the king size bed we paid for. We had to stay one night in 3712. Next day they promised to move us to 3717 which supposedly has a king bed. We pack up our luggage and guess what - no king bed. After 30 minutes of complaints , they finally admit to having a king size bed on a different floor and we moved there.

Fumigation - all true. If you do not have strong lungs - avoid this hotel. Also check the bedroom carpet for the bugs dead from the fumigation - housekeeping doesn't seem to vacuum up the bigger bugs.

Restaurant - more inconsistency. Some days the would be table napkins some days no napkins. And uou better be prepared to go into the kitchen to find someone to refill your coffee.

Wireless Internet - we were told it was free in the coffee shop. It isn't In fact it is 600P/day anywhere in the hotel. Malayan Plaza is free in the lounge and pool floors.

Parking - this really annoyed us. Upon checkin , we were given an assigned parking spot with a large numbered tag corresponding to that spot. And the security guard wrote our license plate in a book next to the spot.

Two nights in a row we came back to find someone is in our spot. First time they tell us to wait while the kitchen staff and moves their car. The second time the guard and the front desk tells us "just park anywhere -- it's first come first serve".
What !?!? Why have this elaborate system and harass us every time in/out of the garage if slots are not assigned?

• Liked — checking out of the hotel
  • Disliked — staff
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travelers are raving about these San Juan hotels

Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2008

I planned to stay in this property for half a month. Initial impressions were positive. The staff were friendly and helpful.

Major concerns arose one night when I woke up with smoke inside my room and in the corridors. I called the receptionist to inquire but there was no answer. Ultimately, someone informed me that the hotel was being fumigated. This was quite appalling considering that there were no warning of such an activity nor was I offered an evacuation option.

On the next day, I informed the staff of pulmonary complications which arose from the fumigation. Disturbingly, there were no explanations or apologies from the staff or management. Everyone acted as if nothing had happened.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — fumigated guests, bugs on food the day after fumigation, outdated gym (no seat on the stationary bike, faulty machines)
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Saipan, Mariana Islands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2008

Lamenting the fall of the dollar and the rise in price of quality hotels in Manila, I am always looking for the next, best thing at a great rate. This just may be it. It was not perfect, but the benefits far outweighed the drawbacks.

I booked through a bargain hunting hotel website for $65/night net with breakfast for two included. It was a great value for the price. Remember, Manila taxes toss on another 20% so my rate was really around $52/night for two people with a morning meal!

This facility is located directly next to Greenhills Mall. The shopping is a mixed bag for those who want both the ease of a traditional Philippine megacomplex and those who love the search for bargains in a flea market type environment. It has both. The best deals are in the market area with hundreds of stalls hawking all kinds of bargains from clothes to crafts to art to trinkets from the islands. I found it much more interesting than the pristine chain-laden malls that are ubiquitous in Manila.

Although you are close to fun shopping, you are not that close to Makati or Malate (30-40 min) for nightlife. Quezon City is, however, a short taxi ride away.

The room was really close to being a solid four star room with a Western mattress and fluffy comforter and quality linens. The shade pulled tight to make the room nearly pitch black. Since I was on the 37th floor (Room 3712), street noise was not a problem. The view was excellent of Wack Wack golf course way out to Makati and Manila Bay.

This was the standard room and was a tad small, but I got what I paid for. It was clean and modern.

The air conditioner was a bit moody. It didn't seem to have the kick the first night, but it reset itself mysteriously and from then on, it was amazingly efficient.

The bathroom was all marble, but was just mediocre with what you would expect from a water-saving showerhead. The towels did not match the bed linens, unfortunately, in quality.

We made use of the pool on the roof. The cafe at the pool was still not operating. The hot tub was nice, but not quite as hot as some might expect.

The breakfast was functional and the fruit was good. They made eggs to order and had alot of hot selections.

The staff was very cordial and helpful, although it was a bit odd as they had to accomodate both guests and the residents who occupy many of the rooms as their personal condos.

Apparently, this ownership also runs the Makati Palace Hotel on Burgos. They have only had Greenhills Elan up and running for less than a year and some of the quirks are still getting ironed out.

Overall, I was greatly impressed. I get really tired of trying to find a worthwhile bargain, but having to sleep in inferior rooms. This was not the case at Greenhills Elan. It was borderline luxury and I was happy to find it and will return soon. This could be a gem in Manila for those looking for a really nice accomodations, but do not mind using taxis or MRT to get back and forth to the areas of nightlife.

• Liked — Great bed and totally dark room in almost luxury environs
  • Disliked — Took thirty minutes to get homefrom Makati by taxi at midnight on a Friday
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Greenhills Elan Hotel Modern? Share your experiences!