“Excellent Hostel” 4 of 5 stars

Hauptstrasse 23 - 33, Matten, Interlaken CH-3800, Switzerland   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Excellent Hostel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I stayed here in 2006 when I was backpacking and thought it would be fun to visit it again. Umm... Its a good place, let's just say that this place is better suited for the young.

As a hostel, it is second to none!

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Korean first
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

I had a great stay at this hostel. A lot of the people that came in we're very outgoing, athletic and looking forward to having a good time. Even though I only got to meet with some for one day we connected right away.

The breakfast is pretty good but there's no meat included or vegetables so I ended up buying some quick ham and vegetables for the morning breakfast from COOP about 2 minutes away.

The night life and social life is great.

BRING CASH! There are a LOT of activites in Interlacken that are a LOT of fun like paragliding, sky diving, canyoning, and canyon swings. You can also rent a bike for 24 hours from right next door and you get some amazing trails that you can do.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for a room from which you cannot hear the sound from MetroBar, and make sure to men...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

Balmers is very affordable , there is dorm accomodatiion available , If you want privacy you can choose the guest house as we did , in summer there is also a tent village . Balmers is my choice when in Interlaken . Staff are very friendly and they are happy to book all your extreme sports such as rafting , paragliding ,skydiving and scenic flights .Night club operates on the weekends at Balmers . Best place to stay if want friendly atmosphere . Balmers I will return

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

First of all, I was traveling with a group, so they booked this place for me. I have never stayed in a hostel before, so I didn't know what to expect. Let me start with the pros - the front desk ladies were exceptionally nice and attentive to my needs as a guest for the most part; the place was relatively clean and in a great location; the view was awesome; the room was pretty large and contained 2 beds and a sink. Now the cons - the toilet was in a closet by itself and the showers were separate so there was no true bathroom for us. Apparently, this place is known for partying and they have a bar in the basement. A lot of the patrons appeared to be very young, maybe in their early 20s. One reviewer stated it did not get noisy, but that was not my experience! We stayed on the third floor in the building above the bar and could still hear the noise! One couple decided to stand in front of our door and make love while we were trying to sleep. They left after I asked them to do so. Once they left, it didn't take long for a couple of drunk girls to arrive in front of our door. One was so drunk she started vomiting. To top that off, we had to listen to doors slamming and people yelling off and on all night. The next night, several kids decided to have their "pre-party" in a room down from ours. First, they showered, and since we were right by the showers, all of the conversations were heard very clearly. Next, they got drunk, so all of their yelling and cursing could be heard by us and this was all before 8:30pm. They went to the party and came back yelling, cursing and slamming doors. Fortunately, the night desk person intervened on 2 occasions to try to keep the noise down.

If you are young and want to party, you'll probably like this place. But if you want serenity, this place is definitely not the one for you.

By the way, I did not see a pool or fitness center but I hit the rating accidentally and could not erase it.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the building above the bar. Some others told me the noise wasn't as bad in th...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

This was a great hostel to stay in with a group of friends and to meet people. Lots of internationals having a great time. You couldn't tell if the people in the place were working or locals just hanging out because it was so much fun.

The room we stayed in was clean - average beds - great value. The highlight of our trip was hang-gliding and canyoning (both recommended by the hotel. Great staff, great time. Only downside was food and how expensive it was around Interlaken.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Stayed here at this guest house/hostel through a tour with Bus2Alps in October 2011. This was my first hostel ever and I was very impressed compared to horror stories ive heard of hostels. We had a nine person room with bunkbeds. There was a sink right outdide our room and the bathroom down the hall to share with the floor. The bathroom is what you would expect from a hostel.I dont remember any dirtiness or anything like that.The building itself is actually very cute and fiit in with the country. Nice dining room and places to hang out and relax with other guests. There is a dance club downstairs and they have a desk to sign up for activities, get free maps and advice, and buy things (I bought a swiss army knife and they engraved it for me...who doesn't want a swiss army knife from switzerland?!) Really the only complaint I have is that it is loud. But what do you expect from a hostel with young people? If you are looking for hotel quality and privacy or luxury, not the place for you. Otherwise, it is a nice hostel on hostel terms, so Id go for it!

A ten-ish minute walk to the center town where the shopping is and to see the mountains (beautiful!). I suggest taking a walk to where the citizens live...beautiful scenery along the way!

Room Tip: If it's your first time in a hostel, pay a little more to have your own room or one with only a...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
New Delhi, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

My first stay in Switzerland was in this hostel. Here is my review of the Pros & Cons:

Pros:
1. Good locality. Well connected by local bus.
2. Cozy feel. The whole architecture is wooden.
3. A nice place to sit in the garden designed like a chessboard.
4. A party place available but not very noisy.

Cons:
1. Rooms could have been better lit.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Been to Balmer's Herberge? Share your experiences!