“A Pleasant Stay But Nothing Extravagant” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Al-Ula ARAC Resort

You added Al-Ula ARAC Resort to your Saves list
Al-Ula ARAC Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Mada'in Saleh Road, Hail-Tabuk Highway Bridge Crossing, PO Box 333, Al Ula, Saudi Arabia   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Al Ula
Dhahran
“A Pleasant Stay But Nothing Extravagant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Based on other reviews and the fact that this hotel is located in a small town in middle-of-nowhere KSA, I was somewhat nervous about staying here, but it ended up being just fine. Like many hotels in this part of the world the rooms were not amazing, but they were functional and clean. The bathroom and shower were very small, but that was not a big deal. We had a "king" room (i.e. two twin beds pushed together) and the beds were decently comfortable. The AC could have been cooler, but we were still able to sleep just fine. Each room has a little table and chairs outside of it so you can sit there and overlook the gardens area in the middle. I thought that was a nice touch. We also heard there was a swimming pool, but I am not sure it was open to women. The best thing about our stay here was the food at the restaurant. Our meals were included in the price of the Madain Saleh tour we had booked, so I can't speak to the prices, but we were served very tasty food with large portions. Breakfast and dinner were buffet style, and lunch (the best meal in my opinion) was a multiple course affair with lovely salads, soups, meat, and desserts. It really hit the spot after trekking around Madain Saleh and the other sites! The staff was helpful and friendly; we were allowed a late checkout and could leave our bags in our rooms until our van left at 3 p.m. This is definitely the place to stay if you are visiting this area.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Arabic first
Jubail
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

I went on to stay in Arac Al-Ula as it’s the only available hotel in the city of Al-Ula.
My purpose of visit was to see the World Heritage Monument of Al-Ula.
The time of visit was Ramadan Holidays. The hotel was almost deserted except for the hotel staff.
I and my friend applied for mandatory permission from Saudi Cultural Ministry to visit this site. The hotel did a good job in processing it on time.
The food was decent. The rooms were good. A very remote location with no taxi access. All u can do is see Cars whizz past you.
We had to hitchhike to city to reach the Eidga for our Eid Prayers. An unforgettable Eid, may I add.
Plan in advance like a month in advance and get in touch with the hotel staff, they are friendly and will aid you in arranging the ministry permission and a guide for your trip to the Monuments.
There is a swimming pool but no water though…
The hotel sits on the valley surrounded by red mountains on all sides…
I felt satisfied at the end of the trip…

Room Tip: Just listed to what the receptionist says. you don't have much choice...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is launched late 2000, and it needa to be renovated urgently.

The hotel is below average in general but there are no other better alternatives in the town

The hotel has a restaurant with limited variety and not tasty but just ok

The room furniture is old and the toilettes has terrible plumping! But functioning any way!

The hotel doesnt have scheduled daily houskeeping! If you need it call for it !

The hotel staff needs to be trained further, i asked the receptionist about the openning hours of Madain Saleh site and he told me it opens at 7:30 am when i went there it was closed until 9:00 am, but it is the main attraction ! He should knew it!

The other day i asked about the opening hours of the museum and one of the staff told me we dont know! It was fair for me!

• Stayed June 2013
PL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

For now, this is the only place in town.
Staff are very friendly, as are most of the people from the surrounding area.
The rooms are fine and clean.
The breakfast is ok, a few flies around, but nothing to get to concerned about.
The hotel will organise you a pass for Madein Salah and also organise tours and so on.
See my separate review on Al-Ula things to do.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Cape Town Central, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Some work colleagues and I recently spent the weekend in Al Ula and arrived at the Arac Resort at 3 in the morning. A very sleepy clerk let us in quite graciously and when my key card wouldn't work he came promptly to sort it out. The bed was super-comfortable and I don't think that was because I was tired. The water was nice and hot and the air con worked effectively.

When I awoke in the morning and opened my door, I was delighted at the location. The rooms were arranged around a central garden filled with palm trees and with the backdrop of some spectacular rock formations. Our rooms had a little balcony with tables and chairs, so it was very pleasant to return back to the hotel after sightseeing and chill out with an ice cold drink.

The breakfasts weren't wonderful, but perfectly adequate - the only problem I had was the instant coffee. The service was efficient and friendly though so that made up for a lot. There is also a coffee bar in the foyer so it is possible to get a really good coffee once it opens in the morning.

I would definitely recommend this resort. While not upper end luxury, it is small, comfortable and charming. Definitely worth a return visit.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

We stayed 2 nights in this 3 star hotel in Al Ula, to visit the famous Nabatean site of Al Hijr (Madain Saleh).

On the whole, we were happy with our stay: good service, fast maintenance (we had a small problem in the washroom), good quality of food & beverage at breakfast (still coffee is only powder one...), lunch and dinner. Actually we were suprised to find such a quality in this kind of hotel in Saudi Arabia. Cleanliness was ok, room was well equipped, good bed & pillows but poor lighting, with a fridge, a safe and a good but bit noisy AC.

Free internet (either Wifi or at business centre) is an added value.

Main drawbacks:
1) Noisy local family letting children shout at 23pm-1am in the garden area (1 evening only). Not well educated. The poor Saudi receptionist tried his best to ask this local family to stop their children, but not successfully. Other customers were unhappy with that. Management should improve there and be stricter with such customers.
2) The nice swimming pool is not heated (solar heating solution to work out?). And of course forbidden to women, which is legal but not tourists focused...

On the whole, a good choice (may be the only one ?) in this city.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Montevideo, Uruguay
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Basic hotel in Al Ula, clean room. Clean bathroom. Super expensive restaurant. I read reviews saying that the food was very good. I am not a picky eater. And I have to tell you that the food was average, even more. For the price was horrible.
We use to have buffets in Jeddah for half the price in MUCH better places with lot of choices. No joke. Just two options of chicken nuggets one night (and then they put the rest for breakfast), and fish was the other option.I have to be fare, the taste of the food was nice. Breakfast the same, very expensive (double price as nicer hotels in Jeddah) BUT the options were horrible, first time in my life that I see my husband complaining about coffee with milk. The milk was horrible, I can not understand why. Cats in the yard were around us, once we tried to eat something on the terrace and the cat jumped to our chair, there was no method to make him leave. My girls were very scared of the cats. (even more after they saw it catching and eating a bird). Overall, you do not have many choices (just one more). So, it is OK. And you have to eat there. No options.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Al-Ula ARAC Resort? Share your experiences!