“The Good , The Bad and the Ugly” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Beach Boutique Resort

You added The Beach Boutique Resort to your Saves list
The Beach Boutique Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   154 Moo 4, Hadyao Beach | Thalingchan, Nuea Khlong 81130, Thailand   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Nuea Khlong
4.0 of 5 stars 313 Reviews
Brisbane
“The Good , The Bad and the Ugly”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

Transfer to Aonang to Beach Boutique 1200baht. On check in whisked to room and only explained the restaurant hours . We stayed in a Villa with private pool room for 5 nights . Was very much considering checking out the next morning however as the resort lost power 1/2 dozen times during the night and the next day with the longest period being about 2 hours .

Ok I understand power loses in Thailand however resort has no generator so power loss also means no water which in turn means no toilet . The temperature in the room climbed to a stifling 34 deg and you cannot open doors or windows to let in air as you would be attacked by hoards of sand flies and Mosquitos which make a nice home at this resort . But you can' t blame them for not staying on the beach at it is a black sanded garbage dump !

We let that ride and as previously mentioned the resort is very isolated so we decided to book one of the hotel motorbikes to get some access to other areas. However what this hotel is trying to pass off as motorbikes is a joke and did I mention they wanted 300 baht a day ( i have never paid more than 250 baht in Thailand before ) for these death traps on wheels . They were very old , tyres balding and the 2 we were shown had had their fair share of accidents .

The management/owners obviously are more money orientated than customer focused . 2 other examples I see of this is firstly ....who I assume was the manageress who even after 3 days was still asking me if she could help me every time I entered the hotel . I know all us farang look the same but when the hotel has only 6 rooms occupied it is sad she doesn't recognize you.Secondly maintenance of the hotel has been virtually forgotten and things are falling down around you .

Walk left out the front of the hotel . 50 meters on the other side of the road you find a small drink stall ... Lady there will do laundry for 25 baht a kilo .Walk another 500 meters and on the same side of the road as the " resort " and you will find the Mor Anna's restaurant . Not Only is it cheaper it has a much more extensive menu and the big plus .... Near new motorbikes at 250 baht a day . A lady will probably drive you to a well maintained resort 5 minutes inland to pick up the bike but at least then you have options not to be living and eating at a 3 rd class " resort" .

Ok we got a good bike ... Couple of nice seafood restaurants along the beach road past Mor Anna's including Rimlay seafood at the end of beach road . Great food and cheap as !

Ok the good bits ... Dadda in the restaurant who's service was excellent ... The DVD collection BUT really if I wanted to watch DVD's I can do that at home ..... The housekeepers who try really hard ... Room with private pool was great when electricity was working .....

I only give such a bad review because it is true and I would hate any first timers to believe this is indicative of Thailand . This is just a very badly managed hotel with owners only having one interest being themselves and no consideration of the guests who are paying good money to visit the poorest beach in Thailand I have ever visited ... And if you didn't understand earlier it should be illegal to try and hire those death traps they call motor bikes and still expect 300 baht for them !

Never Never again ... This is a " resort " ( I hesitate to call it that if you hadn't noticed ) dying a slow death and deservedly so .... BUT if you are going to ignore my warning ... Take yourself the essentials including lots of mosquito repellant But you will never get rid of that that ONE that you can never find in your room but still manages to keep you awake all night .

Lastly the humour just as a quick note ... Only place in the world I have visited ... 3rd world or otherwise that has no access to Coke or Pepsi ... But don't worry once you get some wheels it is available at any small shop or restaurant close ... Owners / Managers wake up to yourselves as this " resort " could be improved easily with some common sense , decent mamangement and hospitality skills .... Criiiikey at least clean the beach it front of the resort for starters PLEASE !

Room Tip: Room with private pool or nothing !
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Thai first
north east
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

I have just spent 7 nights at this place, staying in a pool villa. Having done so I really can't understand the previous 2 reviews on the place.

We were greeted on arrival at 8.30pm by the luggage porter who quickly called the receptionist who came to welcome us, she checked us in, let us know that dinner last orders were at 9pm & asked if we would like to book on the next days free trip as numbers had to be in by 9.30pm, she then walked us to our room, giving a quick tour off the facilities enroute & then of the room facilities when we arrived.

Yes the location is a little remote, but having read reviews on TA I was expecting that. The drive to/from the airport takes 30 minutes, airport taxis are 600B, the hotel charges 500B for their car & driver, which was very efficient. The drive to Ao Nang is 1 hour, as is Krabi Town (not worth visiting in my opinion). With 5 free excursions per week run by the hotel & another 3 pay excursions bookable on demand (we booked 4 Islands long boat tour the afternoon before we went & airport transfer 6 hours in advance) it certainly need not seem isolated.

Breakfast is included in the room rate & consists of tea/coffee, orange juice, toast or french toast, cooked breakfast with sausage, bacon, ham & eggs of choice followed by fresh fruit. All waitress service sat on the terrace overlooking the sea, wooden tables & chairs (these are set with linens & candles in the evening giving a lovely setting for eveing meal). The restaurant has a fairly limited menu but is pretty much open throughout the day from 7.30am to 10pm and the food is good. The hotel does pretty much shut down after that time though with the restaurant & reception staff all going home, hardly surprising though given that there are only 17 rooms. We tended to spend anout 750B (£16) for dinner for two at the hotel with a beer each, wine was 690B a bottle (the prosecco was very drinkable!) Out the front of the hotel, turn left & walk for two minutes was a small roadside restaurant that was very friendly, good food & good English spoken, whilst menu prices were cheaper portions were smaller so our total bill there tended to come in about the same price as the hotel, but nice for a change of scenery. There was a seafood restaurant about 1km right out of the hotel, though we didn't try that.

The beach & sea at Yad Hao is not picturesque like say Railay, but if you want to stay in a pool villa there expect to pay 2-3 times the nightly rate of Beach Boutique. But you certainly get it to yourself, unlike Railay etc, we walked for an hour seeing only 4 people & a herd of cows being walked home for the evening!

Our pool villa was lovely & private but the room itself is actually just the same as the deluxe rooms ( we were loaned one on out last day for a late checkout as our pool villa had new incoming guests) so my tip would be consider if the extra cost is really worth how much you will use the private pool & small private terrace. The hotel main pool was lovely, always quiet & never a problem to get a lounger, given that the hotel was pretty much at full occupancy throughout our stay we were very surprised at how quiet it was around the hotel during the day!

My tips for staying here are:
- make sure you pick up cash & supplies on trips out as there are no proper shops or cash machines in walking distance (even on the likes of the canoe trip the driver was happy to stop off at local shops & help us buy snacks & drinks) (though everything at the hotel can be charged to your room & settled by credit card)

- give Krabi Town a miss unless you want to shop

- the Ao Nang trip is perfect for getting to Railay & other islands easily & cheaply as it drops off just up the road from the longtail shuttle point.....from Railay you can hire a canoe to get to truely beautiful & empty small beaches

- take mosi spray, this is Thailand! (the hotel can't control this!)

- the longtail boat trips the hotel offers depart from the beach outside the hotel.....lovely not to have to be driven anywhere & not to have to be with 30 other people (though many of the islands are VERY busy)

Johannesburg, South Africa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

As a 4 star hotel I was profoundly disappointed. My husband and I were booked in for 5 nights, but immediately upon arriving decided to sacrifice the cost of a night's accommodation in order to cancel our reservation and change hotels.

General: The Reception area was dingy and unattractive which I found particularly unusual in Thailand.

Room: The basin in our sea view pool villa leaked all over the floor each time we opened the tap and the furnishings were sparse, chipped and had seen far better days. None of the usual welcoming items expected in this class of hotel was present (room service menu, welcome letter, explanation of facilities or surrounding attractions). There was no phone in the room. If you needed anything, you had to walk to reception (through pouring rain on the particular day on which we arrived).

The menu was expensive and restricted, even simple drinks like gin and tonic, and Singha beer weren't available since they were out of stock. The dining area consisted of a few plastic chairs and tables, with full view into an unattractive admin room from which food was served.

We were both covered with mosquito bites after the one night we spent there.

Location: While we were aware that the Resort was fairly isolated, we had intended to use the time to relax and recuperate. However the beach was covered with litter and the Resort did not lend itself to enjoyment. The resort was clearly built with an impending development boom in mind for the area which has failed to occur. It is surrounded by empty accommodation with For Sale signs.

No attempt was made to understand the reason for our cancellation of four of the five nights we had reserved or to rectify our perceptions.

Room Tip: We stayed in a Sea View Pool Villa which is the top choice. I dread to imagine what the others are...
Ahmedabad
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

I reached Krabi after spending 4 days in Samui. The first thing was getting to the place itself was a big hassle as I couldn't find a cab or any other means of transport to drop me off at the resort. Plus the front desk was not picking up my calls as by 6 pm there is nobody at the front desk. I somehow though managed to reach the resort and the moment I reached there I asked myself good knows what part of the world I am in. Much to my surprise even though the resort was in the most desolate corner of the world it was pretty much full and my Deluxe Villa was upgraded to a Private Pool Villa.

Night time you can find a few bugs and insects here and there while walking to the front desk or on the trees or around your room. There are only 4 - 5 resorts on the Had Yao beach and around the resort is absolutely deserted with nothing at all. There are no 7/11's or restaurants. The restaurant also functions at limited hours so if you have a early morning flight forget about having a breakfast in the restaurant or anywhere close by and that is what precisely happened with me.

Restaurant food options are also very limited and they are quite reasonably priced. The DVD library is good but not updated as the most latest movie there was Source Code.

They organize tours 3 or 4 times a week and I was quite frankly not interested in any of them as after being in Samui it wasn't worth it. We took a stroll on the beach in the evening as it was quite beautiful, serene and quiet.

In the morning till 7:30 am there is no one at the front desk and I had to a rather torrid time checking out and making it just in time to the airport to catch my flight to Bangkok.

Overall, my experience with the resort was pretty average as I was staying at Choeng Moen beach in Samui which was also pretty much quiet and peaceful. I would recommend this resort for a very short stay for people who just want to get far from the crowd and relax in peace and do nothing during there stay for cheap.

Kuala Lumpur
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

Nice and clean, the hotel staff are very friendly and helpful. Daily tours/sightseeing on the house. A bit of challenge with choice of restaurant due to its location that is far away from everything else. Enjoyed beautiful sunset at the pool side and beach.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Lima, Peru
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012 via mobile

This hotel has several pros and cons. Now when I travel I don't mind spending so long as I am getting value. The size of the rooms are great as is he location far away from everything Krabi. The pool is perfectly located as is the giant sand box which makes you feel you are already at the beach which is only a few metres away. The food was consistently great each night. The curries are all really good and what one would expect in Thailand. However, when we arrived at 8pm we were greeted by a lady who didn't seem too happy to see us and were told last order was nine pm which was a bit of a shocker in Thailand but we got used to that quite fast. Dinner service was terrible. They stopped the music whilst we were eating and I think because we arrived just before their last order time the staff were not at all happy with us. Similar story at breakfast. A lady named laila who served us on mulitple occasions should not be in the hospitality industry as she doesn't understand what it's about. It felt awkward to even come in for a meal. When I asked housekeeping at 2pm to come in half an hour they said no and left towels at our door which after we went for lunch disappeared too. There were also some kids in the pool that made quite a racket. Being on our honeymoon we just wanted some pear and quiet and that's why we chose this resort and not one of the ones in Ao Nang. Still I would recommend it for a total getaway as it is remote. If they work on the issues mentioned above it would do a world of good. I would not recommend this resort for families but for couples barring the above issues it is a great getaway

• Stayed February 2012
malta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

We came to The Beach Boutique Resort after a weekend in Bangkok at the beginning of our 2 week stay. In the beginning we were a bit shocked, not by the time it took us to drive there - we read this before, but by the unfriendly atmosphere at the reception. First, the look of it, second the staff welcoming us - neither of both was as we imagined to be welcomed in a so called boutique resort.
What we were also missing is the Thai atmosphere, yes - it's all very clean, pretty new and the bungalows are spacious and comfy. Still, a bit of a Thai touch I would have preferred. The food and the pool were very nice and the DVD selection was great. The food was not cheap though.

For the price of the accommodation it was good, but the staff (most of it) should really make some more effort and be friendlier. We enjoyed our time there to relax, but we wouldn't come back and found much nicer spots afterwards.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Beach Boutique Resort? Share your experiences!