“Awesome week at La Santa” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Club La Santa

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tinajo
Club La Santa
You added Club La Santa to your Saves list
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Avenida Krogager S/N, 35560 Tinajo, Lanzarote, Spain   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Tinajo
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Awesome week at La Santa”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

I am just back from a week at CLS and I couldn't have been happier.
I was going with the intention of packing in as much sports and fitness as I physically could, and I got what I wanted. The facilities are fantastic. The weekly programme offers so much choice of events, lessons, classes, tours and races.
All classes are included in the price so it doesn't cost anything to try something new or different you wouldn't normally try at home.
The staff are all helpful and friendly, from the Green team, Fitness instructors down to catering and bar staff etc.
The vibe is great, lots of sporty people and great performances. I am well above average in my fitness and running times, yet at La Santa I felt I was one of the slowest. The standard is really high, it motivates you and keeps you going.
My apartment was meant to be shared but turned out it was just me, so basically I got it for half price. It was basic but clean and functional. Decent wifi in several hotspots. Buffet restaurant (I was half board) was fine. Nothing sensational. I had better in other Canaries' resorts. But it was good enough. Good spa/wellness centre, bargain at 30 EUR per week.
If you are just looking for a week in the sun and chilling out, there are better resorts for that. If you are into active life and exercise, you won't find a better place. For me it's CLS all the way.
Remember it's in a rather isolated area, the nearby village is tiny. Not a problem butif you're planning to see the island you need a car, or put some serious mileage in your cycling.
Some people wrote about the noise at night. Maybe true. If you are looking for an early night it can be a bit noisy. Most people are knackered and up early therefore in bed by 10. But if some apartments carry on till late, it did seem that the noise can travel around quite easily, especially when windy (which was the whole week for me). It didn't affect me, I slept ok. But you can hear noises from nearby apartments very easily and even from the square or fitness classes early in the morning if you are downwind. This wasn't a big problem for me, it's all part of the vibe.
I just can't wait to be back!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Kim E, Guest Relations Manager at Club La Santa, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Thanks for your review, it brings us great satisfaction to know that you enjoyed your stay with us!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Reigate, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

Went November 2013 with four fellow sports friends. Ok, the apartment wasn't luxury but adequate and reasonable value for the group of five. No air con but in November we didn't need it. If you are keen on the sport you won't spend much time there. Our main sports were swimming/running/cycling with a few core/stretch classes.

Cycling - we hired the Ultegra bikes for the week (extra cost). They are good enough for the serious cyclist. On a disappointing note the condition of them was not great when we first got them. Two of them needed the handle bar tape reapplying, one had a non road worthy tyre which soon punctured, and one was provided without saddle bag and pump. Check them thoroughly before first ride and get the mechanics to put them right. Note - the 'free' hire road bikes are only allowed for half a day so you can't really do a decent long ride and they are in high demand. Lanzarote has enough routes to cycle for a week and roads are pretty quiet, however be prepared for the wind - you will get a workout.

Swimming - 50m swim pool was good, relatively busy at 7am (less so later in day) but people tended to stick to slow/fast lanes correctly. We did Duathlon/Triathlon races - would recommend - give it a go.

Running - we were mainly out of resort on plentiful supply of gravel/dust tracks. The athletics track is ok but could now do with resurfacing.

Classes - stretch/core/pilates/many more - these are on all the time, some were busy but always room. Note - everything starts promptly on time - if you are late - tough!!

Canoes/Windsurfing - nice to try something different. They also do scuba classes in the pool so good chance to learn.

Gym - good range of equipment.

Food - supermarket on site with good supply of basics, you pay a premium here. We ate out at a Chinese in La Santa village, good food and good value. Mainly ate in the Pool Bar on site - good selection and reasonable value.

Would we return - yes.

Tips:

> Don't try to do too much activity, better to make progress rather than get injured.

> Nice easy activities include a canoe paddle in the lagoon.

> Research the weekly acitivty schedule before you arrive and plan.

> For the Duathlon and Triathlon race enter early if you need to use a bike as they all get booked pretty quick.

> Taxi from Airport is 33 Euros one way (November 2013), if travelling alone or as a couple there are usually others doing the same route at same time so shout and save some £. Apparently there is a bus but it didn't run at the times we needed.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Kim E, Guest Relations Manager at Club La Santa, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
We appreciate your feedback, and it's great to hear that you experimented with some new activities!

Please be assured that we will pass on your observations regarding the bikes to our Sports Manager and look into these issues. The good news is that in April we will be opening a new state of the art Bike Centre, within our new development, which apart from housing up to 200 bikes (many new ones), will also offer a bike wash, a bike repair department, and a range of other services for our bike enthusiasts.

We hope you will be back to take a look!
Cambridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014 via mobile

The sporting facilities here are very very good, the equipment, the staff, all of it very impressive and hard not to be motivated when you spend all day rubbing shoulders with olympians, international and national level athletes.

The hotel itself though needs knocking down and rebuilding, all very aged and very tired / tatty now. The food is all a bit school dinner ish in the main restaurant, and only a little bit better than that in the other restaurants. The pool bar is great, the sports bar is good, the nightclub is tragic! The new build complex looks very impressive, and talking to one of the senior guys at the hotel the next stage of the plan is indeed to renovate more of the original complex, heat the pool, stuff like that.

They did alas rip me off a bit, trying to convince me that I had been put into one of the renovated rooms (that i had paid extra for) and very clearly it wasn't renovated. It was a nice room, just not what i had paid for, which is a bit wrong of them, and wrong as well to try and argue case, all thats going to do is antagonise matters. Not happy about that.

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for your comments Chris, it's great to hear that you felt motivated and enjoyed the active atmosphere here!

It does concern us that you felt wronged in any way in relation to your accommodation. As you are aware, we are working hard to open our new modern Suites and facilities in April, as well as gradually renovating the existing accommodation, In the existing hotel, the renovated apartments have all been renovated in the last five years, though some more recently than others. We hope to complete this process by the end of next year. Our staff probably tried to explain this but please accept our apologies if there was any misunderstanding.

We will take your comments on board regarding the restaurants and pass them on to our Food & Beverage Manager, as we are always looking at ways of improvement.

We hope to see you again in the near future!
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

I stayed at Club La Santa for 1 week in Nov/Dec to participate in the Lanzarote Running Challenge. This is a 4 day event with a race on each day 10k Road, 13K Off Road Ridge, 5K beach and 21K half on road half off road.

I was travelling with some friends from my running club but booked an apartment for myself. I decided to go for a comfort apartment with full board paying about £1150 GBP for the package. The racing event was an additional £75 GBP. My apartment could have accommodated 4 adults but was a little pricey for just one person. Clearly if 4 adults had shared the apartment this would have been very good value for money.

The apartment I stayed in was a little dated in style but clean and reasonably spacious. Some of the apartments have had new interiors fitted and look a bit more modern (well IKEA like). There was no TV or WiFi available in the apartment. Living without a TV is fine but I found the lack of WiFi a bit disappointing especially in an apartment that cost me £950 for the week. However, WiFi was available in some public areas such as reception and the main square. There was pretty good 3G coverage at the location as well, so it was possible to get data access on your phone/tablet.

The apartment had a basic kitchen, dining area, 2 bedrooms, bathroom and a balcony. The bed was comfortable and in general the apartment was pretty quiet and peaceful. There was a safe in the apartment but there is an extra charge to use this which you can pay at reception.

The sporting facilities at Club La Santa are very good and we made good use of the classes and gym in between the running events. There is also a 400M running track and 50M pool for more serious training. We also made use of the bike hire and found the service very helpful and friendly.

There is a good supermarket on site which is pretty extensive and would cover most people’s daily needs. There was a good range of sport supplements and drinks available which I found particularly useful. The food in the main restaurant was fine with a good selection. My only surprise was that they did not serve porridge at breakfast which I thought rather unusual for a sports facility. We were also the only people in the restaurant at lunch time which I guess means that not many people went for the full board option, although we thought that full board was actually good value for money. There are several other restaurants on the campus where you can pay as you go and the food looked to be good quality and reasonably priced. We actually thought that the prices for food and drink during our stay were reasonable value for money and we did not feel like we were being overcharged.

Club La Santa is a little bit remote which is a bit of a double edged sword - Beautiful remote location away from the commercial aspects of the island but a bit of a journey if you want night life or shopping outside of the campus. This was no real problem for us because we were focussed on our running and other fitness activities and found the bar/restaurants/night life at the campus fine for our needs.

I stayed at Club La Santa from Saturday to Saturday and there was no shuttle bus available from the airport. I took a taxi both ways which take about 25 minutes and cost between €30-€35.

In summary we really enjoyed our week at Club La Santa and would definitely go back in the future. However, if you are just after a 5 star luxury hotel and are not interested in sporting activities you are likely to be disappointed.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Kim E, Guest Relations Manager at Club La Santa, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
We're very pleased that Club La Santa met with your expectations and that your enjoyed the Running Challenge. Your positive remarks are very much appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

My girlfriend and I went to Club La Santa having seen the advertising in cycling and other sports magazines. It promotes an image of rubbing shoulders with pro teams. However it did not live up to our expectations.
Short comings were-
No air-con or fans in apartments!!!????
We could not fathom how this was possible. We went in September and it was +30C every day and its supposed to be an endurance athletes destination. Simply nowhere to cool down. Our room was like a sweat box every night.
No sea views from apartments.
The inclusive bike hire was for 4 hours max, not much use if you want to go for a long ride.
The gym didn't open till 0900.
The inclusive restaurant charged for water and threatened to throw us out when we brought our own bottle (purchased from the club shop!).
That stupid Club La Santa reveille played every morning at 0800 which prevented a lie in.

Good points-Quiet after 2200.
No drunkenness.
Very nice pool.
Nice weather very day.
Inclusive water sports.
Comprehensive gym and good pools.

Room Tip: Over looking athletic track for landward breeze.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
We appreciate your feedback and for choosing Club La Santa.
You are right in stating that our existing apartments have no air conditioning, though we do offer fans for rent at Reception. We have several types of apartments available, and our apartments with views depend on which of the four sides of the hotel they face, The sea, the leisure pool, stadium or the impressive Famara cliffs. Our free bike usage does extend up to four hours, though this is usually sufficient for most island routes, however for a small fee, bikes can be taken for the whole day.

Our board options do not include drinks, and generally, most restaurants usually wouldn’t allow customers to bring their own. However we look into any issues where staff may have been rude in any way and we appreciate your comments.

Thank you for your positive remarks, if you liked our existing Olympic pool then you'll love the two new ones that will be open in April this year. We will also be opening our new Suites, many of which have fantastic sea views, air conditioning and Wifi.
We hope to see you again soon.
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

We were cycling for 2 weeks around the islands of Fuerteventura and Lanzarote and slept every night at another hotel / apartment. We arrived at la Santa without reservation and there were no beds available in the whole village because of a sport event. It got allready dark and we were glad that Club la Santa had an apartment available. We didn't bother the price of 140 euro although we never paid more than 50 euro per night elsewhere for bigger apartments.
We where very disappointed that it turned out to be a very noisy accommodation with live music after midnight and drunk people shouting the whole night and even a noisy wake up call with music at 8 am!
We didn't came for the sportsfacilities, didn't use them so can't judge them.
When you come for cycling there aren't much different options ( roads) to go because of it's isolated position at the top of the island.
I do not recommand this to non-sporting partners, you wouldn't have a peaceful quiet holiday.
It is a massive resort without any personal touch.
Cockroaches and ants all over in the apartment.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
We're sorry to hear that, Club La Santa is indeed the perfect place for active families and sportspeople, as you rightly say. Our price reflects the free use of over 30 sports activities, including free bikes.

We appreciate your feedback and we be happy to provide with any information you may need in the future.
Taunton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

Came here with the swimming Club 3 times and each time I have been amazed. Due to training 4 hours a day in the pool I was unable to use all the facilities such as the gym, but it did look very clean as I passed it. Chill time was spent around the pool and there are multiple onsite restaurants to choose from for the evening meal. Good Food and service was incredible. They remembered us from the last time we visited.

Onsite activities include mini golf, a couple of volleyball courts, and they also run wind surfing. Would go again without a doubt. Great Experience. Fantastic for Swimming Clubs.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Club La Santa? Share your experiences!