“wow” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ross Castle B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Oldcastle
Ross Castle B&B
Ross Castle, Oldcastle, Ireland   |
Sooke, Canada
“wow”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Directions provided were outstanding but I still managed to get lost, I felt so bad because I could not let Benita know as my cell did not work there. Accommodations were fantastic and were definitely a highlight of our trip, my son spooked himself out reading guest reviews about ghosts lol. Benita and Sam were incredible and their hospitality was overwhelming. The peat fire took me back many, many years when I was a boy growing up in Ireland. My wife is a professional cook and was very impressed with the quality of food that Benita and Sam provided to us.

Room Tip: Go for the tower rooms, it really enhances the castle experience
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

29 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Louisville, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

I enjoyed that this castle looked like a castle inside and hadn't been "moderned up". We were the only people staying at Ross. It was comfortable, nice host, but could have used a good cleaning. Loved the location and the scenery.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Santa Cruz, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

My family spent a night in Ross Castle for my son's 11th birthday. He wanted to sleep in a "real castle" and it is. We slept in the upper tower room. The whole place is furnished with antiques, there are great views across the lake! The rooms are comfortable, and the place definitely has an "atmosphere." It was downright spooky at times! Quite an adventure! We had the whole place to ourselves!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Mississauga, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Want to experience a night in a real Castle this is the one to choose. The Castle originally built by the Nugent family is delightful. The tower is the place to stay, it is quiet comfortable and offers an experience that is hard to find in the day and age. Benita and Sam made us feel welcome and were very knowledgeable about the history of the Castle and the surrounding area. Food was made to order and delightful. I suggest you order your dinner as well, as Benita is a great cook and restaurants are a some distance away. D&G Canada.

Room Tip: Choose a tower room it is an experience of a lifetime.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

We had stayed several years ago with Benita and Sam over the Christmas holidays. We had a incredible time and Benita and Sam treated us like family. We knew that when we returned to Ireland(and that took too many years), we had to stay with them again. We were so happy to see them and they greeted us with equal warmth to our previous stay. We can't say enough about these gracious people. Benita is an incredible cook and the castle is charming with just the right amount of spooky. We also enjoyed a walk down to Lough Sheelin which is beautiful. We can't wait to make a return visit to Ross Castle and the Walkers.

Room Tip: There is a wonderful view of Lough Sheelin from the tower rooms.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Lewisville, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Stayed at Ross for two nights with my family of 5 on our recent 2 week vacation to England, France, Ireland, and Scotland. What a unique and great stay. Very atmospheric and just the right amount of historic flavor without sacrificing creature comforts. Benita and Sam the owners were absolutely great. Friendly and warm! If you want to come back from your vacation with a really unique tale to tell, this is the place. A little hard to get to but really worth breaking away from standard hotel stay. My wife and I decided if we ever come back just the two of us we would make a point of staying longer. Would make a great relaxing and romantic getaway.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

I returned again this year for a stay at Ross Castle with some friends. Once again Benita and Sam Walker were great host. We arrived and all check in rooms and I decided stay in middle bedroom in tower, which is supposed to be most haunted. I took my backpack to room and put my coat on chair and returned to great hall for some drinks before dinner. I forgot my camera in my coat and climbed back up spiral staircase and noticed some clothes had been thrown behind a chair. I picked up my camera and returned and ask if anyone had been and no would admit it. We had another great dinner of leg of lamb which was great. Then Sam started a nice turf fire and we sat around. When I returned to sleep and I found my jacket around the corner on a radiator and other clothes tossed around and one of my bottle of waters near window. Was not expecting this. So I guess I found what I was looking for. Benita made us a great breakfast and we had a great experience again. I look forward to returning with some more friends next year, but will let someone else enjoy the experience of the middle bedroom.

Room Tip: If you want a chance at a great experience, select middle bedroom in the tower, top room has great v...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Ross Castle B&B? Share your experiences!