“What a fantastic place!” 5 of 5 stars

You added Hamn i Senja to your Saves list
Hamn i Senja
Hamn i Senja | Skaland, Senja 9385 , Norway   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Senja
“What a fantastic place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

Rented a flat at Hamn, witch was very comfortable, very well equiped and with restaurant 20 steps away. Restaurant was very good as well- with resonable ( but still norwegian) price level. The midnight sun was shining and gave us a real bonus. A place i definitly will visit again.

• Stayed July 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Wiltshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I have stayed in many places all over the world and I have to say that this hotel is a wonderful place to stay for many reasons. It is certainly quite reasonably priced out of season and not even that high in season when you compare it to the same standard hotels in Norway (please note its all relative in Norway, outside of the country one might think this expensive) The staff were extremely helpful and enthusiastic especially Hidi, the dutch lady who checked us in and the chap that ran the activities. ( I am sorry I have forgotten your name but a big thank you for helping us find a fabulous spot and getting the correct settings on our camera for the wonderful Northern Lights).
The dinner was very good and the location just out of this world. We had a 270 degree view across the small harbour enclosed by snow covered hills and over the Atlantic. We will definitely be returning. Thank you Hamn I at Senja for going the extra mile.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Ballangen, Nordland, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

After a long drive on narrow roads in snow and darkness we would have been happy with any bed and a roof over our heds. We were happily surprised to find ourselves in a fresh, modern suite with a fully equipped kitchen and luxurious bathroom. The next morning we woke up to a stunning view, and during the weekend we got to see whales which was our goal with the trip. Very friendly and helpful staff and good food.

Room Tip: The top floor (2nd floor) suites are the best.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

This trip was a special treat for my 50th birthday. I had always wanted to see the Northern Lights and I was not disappointed. On arrival at Finnsnes by ferry from Tromso I was met by Mogens, who was to be my guide for the next three days. Mogens drove me to Hamn i Senja and chatted on route about my hopes and expectations for the stay and offered me a range of outdoor adventures from riding the rapids in a survival suit to fishing out on the open water. On arrival I was warmly greeted by the restaurant / bar staff and shown to my comfortable and spacious flat. Mine overlooked the water but as my trip was in December when daylight is limited to about 3 hours a day, I did not realise this until the following morning. The flat was clearly equipped for self -catering with a stove, kettle, microwave, fridge and lots of pots pans, bowls and glasses. I had not been expecting this and had nothing with with me in terms of food, preferring to fill my suitcase with warm clothing. I found the food in the restaurant to be good and the service friendly and attentive. Having told Mogens that my main interest was seeing the Northern Lights I was impressed that he came to my table mid-way through dinner to tell me that they were out and now would be a good time to go and see them. He had previously given me a warm snow-suit for the duration of my stay and I pulled this on to go up to a small lighthouse which was the viewing area. The lights were truly spectacular, Mogens did not stay long but left me to marvel at them on my own in silence. The following day was even better with Mogens providing invaluable photographic advice on how to capture the lights on film. During my stay I also went sea fishing and for a motor tour of the area. Hamn i Senja is a long way from London, the outbound trip took about 16 hours door to door, but it was well worth it! The location was perfect to experience the Northern Lights. In December the days were very short, but I enjoyed the relaxation time during the hours of darkness and caught-up on some TV in my room. This also allowed me to stay-up late to experience the lights which continued late into the night. I found the hotel comfortable and clean but the highlight was the staff, particularly Mogens whose local knowledge and willingness to guide when needed but retreat when not. The extra clothing the hotel supplied was invaluable, particularly for fishing which was COLD ! I plan to go back, perhaps at another time of year when the daylight hours are a little longer and the chance of seeing some whales is also much greater.

Room Tip: If you want to self-cater ask for one of the flats overlooking the water.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012 via mobile

This place is one of the finest I have experienced in Norway. Thorough qualities in all aspects from accomodations to food and activities.
As an experienced traveller from Arctic regions to Africa, I must say this place range among the top, not at least giving you the 'sehnsucht' feeling through rough Arctic adventures as well as decent comfort at return.
A place I will return to for renewed joys and warmly recommend to all experienced travellers. ( the place provides both bikes and sea-going Kayaks, as well as guided fishing trips with tremendous catch at exellent prices (at Norwegian compareable prices).

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
The Hague, Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

After a day of extremely heavy rain we (a big group of motorcyclists) arrived in this hotel. It felt as if the sun was shining again. Surprisingly big and professional for a remote place like this, surprisingly roomy, nice, modern and friendly. And the food was very good. Exactly what we needed after such a bad day.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Kolbotn, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

You will be impressed by this place. The location is just unique, in their own sort of private bay in a place that most probably was an important harbour for fishers. We rented a sort of small flat, two bed rooms with both bathrooms, a wounderful living room with closeness to the bay and with your "brygge" that gives you access to a nice spot for your kids to fish for crabs. we had a first class dinner, but if staying for longer there are kitchen in the flat we rented. the flat is like a modern, high standard "rorbu", the sheds that used to house boats but that are today turned into accommodation.

This place is comparable to stays at the best hotels I have been to in Norway. It is of cource pricy, as everything in Norway. Bring your kids and rest a boat to take you to the sea. Visit nearby art centres or activity centres for kids, or take the boat to wounderful Andøya.

We would love to come back.

Room Tip: All rooms seem to have seaview.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hamn i Senja? Share your experiences!