“AMAZING” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cloonacauneen Castle

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dangan
Cloonacauneen Castle
You added Cloonacauneen Castle to your Saves list
Tuam Road, Dangan, Galway, Ireland   |
Dublin, Ireland
“AMAZING”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

I attended a wedding on Friday September 7th 2012 and I must say I thoroughly enjoyed the experience of the Castle with its beautiful interior and I found the staff to be very friendly and courteous, food was excellent. I would definitely recommend to my friends for any type of special occasion. Thank you for making my experience a GOOD ONE. Pat T (Dublin)

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Galway, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I’ve had the misfortune of being there 4 times; first time for my daughter's christening 2008. Dreadful service and the owner made it clear to me that it was up to her standards so I could just take it. What else could I do half way through the meal with 20 of my family and friends. Needless to say I didn’t go there by choice again. Was at two weddings in 2010 and it was the same story, rude to guests, ignoring the bride’s requests. Finally in 2012 I was invited to another christening and unbelievably, 4 in a row, the same woman, the same disdainful attitude this time over moving people from where they specifically booked to another dreary, cold corner of a function room. Very nice food I must say, and a nice atmospheric setting in the old building, but don’t be fooled, seems like it’s a dead cert that you’ll be left with a nasty taste in your mouth if you give them your custom.

Room Tip: when you find the front door, run away
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
galway
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

Hope to never have such a diabolical dining experience again. This was an absolute atrocity on every level.Booked this venue for a family meal, which included 7 adults and 5 children. We were seated in a small room upstairs beside an open fire which the staff decided to light on our arrival. The room filled with smoke in a matter of minutes and we had to relocate downstairs with the fire alarm ringing throughout. The owner said 'so you decided to move'. She appeared to take such little interest in her guests that she had no idea how bad the smoke was in the room upstairs. We then had to settle for a table in the bar area where the bad experience continued. Staff passed hot soup over the children instead of simply moving around the tables. They brought us the wrong bottle of wine and on bringing the correct wine they left it on the table unopened. We aired our grievances to one of the waitresses but no member of management came to appease the situation. We asked to speak to the owner at the end of the meal and we were told she was not there even though we saw her during our stay. Also, we requested the bill on 3 different occasions and when it finally arrived it was wrong. It was so disappointing that our family get together was such a shambles. One disaster after another. I will not be going back and you would do well to take heed. There are plenty of other great establishments in Galway where the management seem to care about their guests and want you to leave satisfied with your meal and service.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
kerry
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

i recently attended a wedding here, and was blown away by its stunning interior and warmth, staff friendleness and attention to detail. The food was superb and our four poster bed a welcome site at the end of a great night with family and friends, i will definatly be returning to this venue again,

Room Tip: check out on face book
Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

My friends recently got married at Cloonacauneen Castle, myself and my partner were invited to stay, we came down from Dublin and were booked into their guest house, Staff were brilliant, we were shown over straight away, the guest house is spacious and tastefully decorated throughout. We attended the civil ceremony, and were then treated to a lovely drinks reception and canapes. The ambiance and castle decor were quite simply outstanding, my fiancee instantly fell in love with the place! The meal was excellent, followed by a BBQ in the evening with a real old world pig on a spit served in the large BBQ area coming off the function room, needless to say we were so impressed with the day we arranged an appointment for the following weekend with their wedding coordinator and now have our own wedding booked for June 2013!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

I have been to this restuarant many times before (including afters of my own wedding, my 30th Birthday party). I was annoyed at the fact that I had booked for a christening to have finger food and there was no where for us to sit with the function room earlier. There was tea and coffee included in the pakcage which I had selected, a few people out of the 30 that were there were asked if they would like tea or coffee, I certainly was not one of them.  I was charged for 40 people but ahd confirmed that only 30 would be attending during the week.  My husband paid the next day without my knowledge.  I went back to Cloonacauneen Castle to get a refund and I was met with a Lady (the owner) who had the worst attitude I have cme across when I asked to be refunded I was told I will have to wait and I said no I would like to be refunded today.  This lady then proceeded to tell me that "you shouldn't really book finger food for the afters of a chrstening" as if I was dirt on her shoe.  I have never been so insulted in my life and I will never go back there.  Considering I am local, I was disgusted, highly offended and insulted.

• Stayed March 2012
Hong Kong, China
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2011

I've just come back from spending two nights in The Castle booked for me by someone else. Never again. The venue is great for a party or wedding. Bags of atmosphere. But it's the last place anyone should contemplate staying. Just like the earlier Review, the rooms were dirty - dust and cobwebs in the corners behind the dressing table. Old ragged bedding. Room wasn't serviced at all from one day to the next. The tea tray milk was way past the use by date so that had to be changed. And so cold!! My radiator had been turned off on second day and it took some real effort and determination to find the maintenance guy to fix the problem. I had a single room with no bathroom so had to share the common one with one other person, luckily another member of my family.
Complete lack of visibility of any management so, as a guest, you really didn't know who to make contact with. But very obliging staff. So happy to get back home again.
This place should really forget trying to be a hotel and just concentrate on functions.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo

Been to Cloonacauneen Castle? Share your experiences!