“Great for Locals -Just Fine for Us” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   | Upper Newcastle, Dangan, Galway, Ireland   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Dangan
Certificate of Excellence 2014
San Diego, California
“Great for Locals -Just Fine for Us”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I agree with Tony, the Weswood could be great with a more professional front desk staff. I was more impressed with the cleaning staff who said good morning to us every time we passed them in the halls. The Hotel is classy and well kept. On Sunday the restaurant was staffed well and on Monday morning there was one server for the whole room but she was workin' it! I like the hotel I just wish I would have paid more attention to where it was. I was hoping to walk around Galway easily and although it's not super far, it was not just outside the front door. I would just get a cab from the Westwood if I stayed here again. That would solve any problem I had with the hotel. The value was great for our family of 4. We got a family room which was lovely for all of us.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
GM1Galway, General Manager at Westwood House Hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Brendevi,

Thank you for you review. I have passed on your comments to all the team here.

Dave Kelly

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We stayed overnight in the Westwood House Hotel recently. While we enjoyed ourselves I thought that with a little bit more professionalism it could be a very good hotel.The public areas including the bar are nicely decorated. The staff while being very friendly and helpful lacked a level of training particularly in the dining room. The food was just average. Maybe it was because we stayed on a Sunday night and the experienced staff were not about?

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms overlooking the air conditioning units-- not very attractive view
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Tonyw,

Thank you for your review. Please feel free to contact me directly so that I can elicit some more detail from you on how you formed your views on your recent stay.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I had the pleasure of spending 4 nights 7-10th April 2013 at the Westwood House Hotel, whilst lecturing nearby and wanted to express my pleasure at the service I recieved during my stay. I was greeted warmly and made to feel a valued customer. The rooms are lovely with all the home comforts you could want. Breakfast was wonderful with a great selection, and hot food cooked to order. The bar restaurant had a great choice of meals, all served with efficiency and great courtesy. All the reception staff were very helpful with city centre maps and booking cabs.
Thankyou so much for a great introduction to Ireland, and a memorable stay

Room Tip: I had a room above the bar, but was not disturbed at all by any entertainment going on
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
GM1Galway, General Manager at Westwood House Hotel, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Dear Elaine B,

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your time here with us and have passed your comments on to all the team here in The Westwood. Should you be back in Galway in the future, either for work or leisure, we would be thrilled to be able to take care of you again.

Once again many thanks.

Limerick, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you all there at the WestWood Hotel for your kindness and patience over the weekend.
This is our 4th stay at the hotel and second so far this year!!!
we arrived Friday evening 5 April 2013and Amy was there to greet us and check us in. We met Amy a few times over the course of the 3 nights we stayed there and she was very polite and accommodating, even on Saturday morning, even though there was a full house that night she moved us to another room as the bed was very uncomfortable in the first room. We were moved Also over the weekend we were dealing with Sheila who we have met and dealt with before, and of course she was lovely, helpful and although I ask a lot of questions and probably wrecked her head also, she was very patient. the staff in the bar an restaurant were also very nice and helpful. Karen in the bar is doing a great Job taking over from Claire. they are very hard shoes to fill but she is doing a great job, ye should all be very proud of the job you all do. the hotel is spotlessly clean. the staff in accommodation work really hard, and considering how hot the hotel is in the corridors through the first and second floor they do a fantastic job.
as always we look forward to our next trip to stay with you guys. thanks again

Room Tip: we always ask if there is a wedding or function on, as they are so busy with them so we can have a q...
Dear 862JeanC,

Many many thanks for your very kind comments in relation to your recent stay here in The Westwood. We value every customer and are delighted to see some, like yourself, return time and time again. I have passed your comments on to Sheila and Amy in reception, as well as to Karen in the bar, and all of us look forward to welcoming you back again in the very near future.

Galway, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

My husband, myself went for dinner in The Westwood today 7 april 2013 & were very disappointed with both the food & the service. On entering the Westwood we pushed a buggy around in circles looking for a seat. Staff were passing about us & none of them offered any kind of assistance to us. We ordered from the carvery which was poor. This counter was manned with only 1 staff member who did not want to be there. We weren't told there was another available menu.

My husband went the bar & was nearly 20minutes there ordering a glass of Guinness & a pot of tea. The bar service was very slow. The young bar man very acted very inexperienced & very unhelpful.

The only good thing today was one girl who was on the floor who was the only helpful person in there.
1st time in a long time in there, perhaps the last

Dear corkabu,

I regret that your recent visit did not live upto your and our expectations. Please feel free to contact me directly via generalmanager@westwoodhousehotel.com so that I can elicit a little more detail on your experience.

Limerick, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Stayed here for night recently, it was a very pleasant and great value stay. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The breakfast was delicious. Major bonus was the cafetiere and satchel of ground coffee in the bedroom along with usual instant tea and coffee.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
GM1Galway, General Manager at Westwood House Hotel, responded to this review, March 31, 2013
Dear 10111011,

Many thanks for your review of your recent stay here with us in The Westwood. Your comments are very kind indeed, in particular those relating to our staff, our breakfast, and the facilities in your bedroom. I have passed your comments on to all the relevant staff members, and we all look forward to seeing you back in The Westwood again in the very near future.

Kind Regards,

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

I'd been travelling all round Ireland on business and needed somewhere to stay at the last minute. I was exhausted when I arrived shortly before 9pm on a very cold and snowy Wednesday evening but recieved a warm welcome by the staff. I was also hungry and was told that the restaurant would stop taking orders at 9.....so I rushing in and explained to the friendly staff that I knew I was a bit late but really hungry. It wasn't a problem, they showed me to a table and I quickly ordered a lovely steak. I was so not disappointed either. The food was delicious. The restaurant was full as a tour party had arrived and were in fine spirits. I just wished I'd had stayed longer.
My room was lovely, dual aspect and the facilities first class. This is a grand hotel with some fine people offering a great, welcoming service.
I did leave my diary in my room though and when I called to ask if they would send it they kindly agreed but obviously, I'd incurr a postage charge to the UK.
All in all I was pretty pleased and I think would use this again as a base to do my business in Galway.

Room Tip: I didn't have the opportunity to use the facilities as I arrived late and had to leave early in...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Jacquie S,

Thankyou for your review of your recent stay here with us in The Westwood. I was delighted to read how the team here were able to look after you, in particular being able to send on to you the item you had left behind, and also being able to facilitate you with a lovely steak on that cold wintery night. We thank you for chosing The Westwood as your base in Galway and look forward to welcoming you back again in the very near future.

General Manager.

Been to Westwood House Hotel? Share your experiences!