“Highly Recommend!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Dangan
Stony Brook, New York
“Highly Recommend!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

My husband and I spent 2 nights at the Westwood House Hotel during our CIE Tour of Ireland. Of all the hotels we visited, this one was our favorite!

We were initially disappointed to hear that we'd be staying a few miles from the city center, but after staying at this hotel, we decided that all of the positives far outweighed that negative (the slightly inconvenient location).

Some comments:
-The service was outstanding. The staff went above and beyond to make sure that we were taken care of-including checking in during our meals, assisting with information on transportation, offering some fun little extras to our group, etc. They were incredibly welcoming and friendly!
-Our room was very nice: comfortable bed, nice furnishings, etc.
-We enjoyed 2 breakfasts and 2 dinners at the restaurant in the hotel. We loved the food! Everything we ordered was delicious.
-We had a few drinks at the bar one evening, which was also very nice. It's quite large and the layout allows for comfortable seating all throughout.

Though this hotel is not within a reasonable walking distance of the city center, it's easy enough to get there. We took the bus into the city one night (conveniently located right across the street from the bus stop) for a very reasonable price. The bus only runs until 11PM so we took a taxi on the return trip. It costs approx 10 Euro to take a taxi-and the front desk staff are more than happy to help arrange that for you.

We would highly recommend this hotel to travelers in the Galway area!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
GM1Galway, Manager at Westwood House Hotel, responded to this review, April 4, 2012
Thank you for reviewing the Westwood hotel. I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your stay here with us and hope to welcome you back to us very soon.

Duty Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Polish first
Sligo, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

Just back from a few days stay in Galway's Westwood hotel, located not too far from the city centre but with the added advantage of free parking not available at many of the more centrally located hotels. We ate at the hotels restaurant the first night and were very impressed by the quality of both food and service whilst been very reasonably priced. We also ate in the bar on another night which was more than acceptable for the price. The breakfast, cooked to order was the best I've ever had. Every member of staff from reception to housekeeping and every one in between were warm and welcoming and always helpful. Would happily recommend this hotel

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the taking the time to review our property. Your comments are most appreciated and will be passed on to the team here at the hotel. Again thanks for the kind comments and we hope to see you back with us again shortly.

Longford, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

Thank you Sharon, Hannah and Lauren..I had a bit of a long day until I arrived at the Westwood. Easy to find, ample parking, generous welcome. A huge room, warm but well-aired and CLEAN...everything provided you may need for an overnight stay! Dinner in the restaurant was delicious, impeccable service throughout from check in to desert (the Cheese plate, unfinished is sitting in the fridge for my breakfast) provided by a professional, efficient and yet laid back staff - incredible value!!! 3 courses, calamari, sea bass, cheese plate and complimentary glass of wine €29.95!
A must stay :)

Room Tip: relax, afford, enjoy, relax
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
GM1Galway, Manager at Westwood House Hotel, responded to this review, March 23, 2012
Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your most recent trip to Galway. I was delighted to read that you thought so highly of your stay here at the Westwood hotel and I will surely pass on your comment to the team here.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

The welcome was warm, the rooms very comfortable and the food excellent. We have stayed may times over the years and the welcome was as warm as ever. The room was comfortable, spacious and well equipped. the food in the restaurant was excellent, (seafood menu) and breakfast in the room was promptly delivered and everything as expected. It's location is on the edge of Galway city. a 20 minute walk into the centre for the energetic, or a bus or taxi journey for those less so. Our favourite place to stay in Galway

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. Your comments in regards to your stay here are most kind and we hope to see you back with us again very soon.

Galway, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

Stayed here overnight at a recent wedding and cant fault the place.
Inside is nice and pleasant but the real surprise was the quality of the rooms, spacious and well laid out.
Service was also excellent and the staff were nice and polite.

Would defo recommend to anyone coming to Galway for a visit.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
GM1Galway, Manager at Westwood House Hotel, responded to this review, March 2, 2012
Thank you most sincerely for choosing to stay here at the Westwood Hotel recently and thank you also for your feedback. Your comments in relation to the quality of our facilities and service are very much appreciated and will be passed on to our team here at the Westwood. We hope to see you again.

Duty manager
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

My family and I were heading to dublin on business and decided to stop at the Westwood hotel for breakfast on the way. We arrived at 11.50 am and waited for a barman to notice us. We asked him for 3 full Irish to which he replied that breakfast was finished at 11.45. We were 5 mins late so we couldnt have it but he said there was a carvery instead so we said fine we'd have that but he said we would have to wait 45 mins for that. My mother asked what we could eat and he ignored her so we left and had a beautiful breakfast in the Forster hotel in the city. It was very disappointing especially seeing as we always have such beautiful food and great service in EJ's in Clifden.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
GM1Galway, General Manager at Westwood House Hotel, responded to this review, February 18, 2012
Dear L900,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know your comments in relation to your recent experience at The Westwood. Firstly let me apologise that it was not as I, or you, would have wished. I have deduced from your comments and your subsequent review of Elwoods Bar in the City that you visited with us on a Sunday.

Our breakfast service in the hotel bar runs until 11.45am 7 days and Monday - Saturday inclusive our Carvery commences at 12.00pm and runs until 2.30pm. However for Sunday service the Carvery does not commence until 12.30pm and runs for an extra half an hour upto 3.00pm. The later start for the Sunday Carvery is unavoidable due to the fact that breakfast runs for an extended 30mins on Sunday Mornings.

Our staff have been instructed that should a guest require a cooked breakfast / hot dish during this temporary service down time that they are to check with the carvery / breakfast chef and see what is available and ready from each of the respective menus - this does not seem to have been followed through in your case and I apologise that the waiter in question was not as proactive as we require them to be and that you feel that you query was ignored by him. All of our floor staff are with us for a considerable length of time and I was surprised to read how your query was handled as you will see from the myriad of reviews below that customer service and our staffs willingness to serve are comments that come back to us time and time again.

In conclusion I do hope that your experience will not deter you from using our services again and on the next occasion I would be pleased if you would make yourselves known to me personally so I can assure you of the real Westwood experience.

Yours sincerely,
Dave Kelly MIHI
Castlebar, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

I don't usually write these reviews so purely the fact that I have taken the time to do this shows how impressed I was by this hotel.
Staff: Across the board, they were the nicest, warmest, most approachable staff I have encountered in a hotel, ever.
Food: Absolutely delicious! I am very fussy and am usually quite disappointed in restaurant/hotel food. This has definitely surpassed my expectations. From the starter to the maincourse, sidedishes (surprisingly I find it difficult to find decent mashed potatoes in Irish hotels!) to the breakfast, I loved every single bit about it. The vegetables were cooked to perfection and the food very tasty! The Breakfast was delicious also - again, probably the nicest fry we've had in a while! The reason I did not give it 5 stars is purely that I had more selection in other places I have stayed in before, but then, that's not everything!
Sleep Quality: I gave this only 3 stars as I found the mattress a bit hard and the pillows uncomfortable, but then this is purely subjective and other people may prefer it this way!
Rooms: The room was very nice, comfortable and clean, there was absolutely nothing wrong with it (that's why I gave it an average rating)
Location: It's perfectly located in Galway, a 5* location for me would be somewhere on the seafront, thats why only 3*
Overall, I was very impressed by the things that are important to me (Food, Service, Staff, cleanliness). If I should ever have the need for a hotel room in Galway again I would look no further than the Westwood House Hotel (and I have stayed in many hotels in Galway) - overall, this was the best. Also I would definitely recommend this hotel. In fact, I have recommended it to my colleagues for this years Christmas Party!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review our property and for your kind comments therein concerning our staff, food and facilities. In regards to organising a christmas party at our hotel be sure to contact me directly at barsupervisor@westwoodhousehotel.com or directly at 091-521442 as we would be more than happy to cater for it. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Duty manager

Been to Westwood House Hotel? Share your experiences!