“Best place we stayed in Costa Rica” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Botania

and 1 more site!
You added Casa Botania to your Saves list
Casa Botania
Frente a la entrada de Los Angeles | Linda Vista, San Vito de Coto Brus, San Vito, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #1 of 3 San Vito B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
winnipeg
“Best place we stayed in Costa Rica”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Booked two nights and stayed four! Hard to leave this beautiful, peaceful spot with amazing hosts, and views. Food was outstanding, Kathleen and Pepe go out of their way to make you feel at home and offer helpful advice about the area. Could have stayed longer, as we loved the climate, the scenery, access to Wilson Botanical Garden, and our hosts. Thank You.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Wonderful small B & B in the mountains of San Vito, near the Panama border and just down the road from the WIlson Botanical Gardens. Kathleen, the owner, will also serve (an excellent) dinner by request-- on a beautiful porch. The 2 rooms--- both individual buildings-- overlook a beautiful mountain valley. Kathleen and her family are friendly, gracious and wonderful hosts. Couldn't ask for more!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

This is not your average B&B. First of all, the setting is spectacular with views to west over San Vito. Everything is bathed in this beautiful golden light at sunset and the mist comes in gently giving the area an other-worldly feeling. The room I stayed in was just a few steps away from the main house. It was clean and spacious with a large well appointed bathroom. The balcony off the bedroom was where I spent several afternoons reading and looking at all the birds that flew about the property.

The breakfast that was served was wonderful and they also offer evening meals which were outstanding - imaginative, tasty and excellent value. They were the best meals I ate during my 2 week trip to Costa Rica.

Kathleen and Pepe were very accommodating and gracious hosts. Pepe took me on a wonderful birding hike one morning that blew me away - he is a very experienced and passionate guide. Kathleen was very helpful getting my arrangements made and giving great advice about this beautiful area of Costa Rica.

The Wilson Botanical Gardens are a flat one kilometer walk down the road from Casa Botania which makes this place an excellent value.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
JERSEY, CHANNEL ISLANDS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

we stayed here for one night on our way through san vito and were stunned by the views across the valleys and the wonderful meal we had. This really is a little gem of a place. Everything is clean and tasteful and our 2 storey accommodation with 2 rooms were so comfortable and peaceful that you'd never have huessed you were located just off the main road into san vito. our room had french windows and we sat there watching the sunset with a glass of wine and only moved to go for dinner which is expertly cooked by our 2 dutch hosts. I wished we were staying longer and hope to return to explore the area more. Worth visiting for the views, the delightful hosts and the amazing food. They open as a restaurant in the evenings and have built up quite a following amongst the locals - always a good sign. The rates were very reasonable .

Room Tip: all rooms are wonderful
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Mechelen, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Casa Botania is an amazing place to stay. I stayed here after 5 months traveling through South and Central America and this was the most wonderful place I stayed during my entire 6 month trip.
The service was perfect; a friendly smile through the entire day, a helping hand when you need it and the right tourist information about the surroundings and more.
The rooms are big and clean, the breakfast is a party in your mouth time after time. When you go, please take dinner here as well (and ask for the ossobuco!), the best food you can dream of! And last but not least, the amazing view ... incredible!! ... When you see this when you wake up in the morning, you can't do anything else than smile :-)
GO! You will not regret it!
Koen

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Tigard, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

This was one of the best places I stayed at during my 5 week visit to Costa Rica. I traveled there for two nights with my 13 yr old and 10 yr old sons and they also found the place extraordinary. No small feat in that they are usually pretty jaded about locations that don't have video games or an amusement ride.

Everything about this place is wonderful, the room, the food and the service were all top notch. I traveled here to go to the Wilson Gardens and took a chance with San Vito and I'm so glad that I did. You will not regret staying here. The cabin we stayed in had a bedroom upstairs and a bedroom downstairs. The upstairs bedroom had a wonderful deck where you can watch the clouds rolling in over the hills and a wonderful view.

The food that was prepared for us was wonderful, for some reason I forgot that they even served food. I was very surprised that they even had gin and tonics, something of a rarity in Costa Rica.

During my stay Costa Rica I noticed a lot of hotels and attractions are not described correctly. Usually a lot of creative photography and descriptions were used to portray them in the best light. This is not the case with Casa Botania. It's everything you expect and more. I almost hate writing such a good review as I think once the word gets out I'll never get a reservation again, but this type of establishment deserves all the accolades it gets. If I could rate it higher I would.

While we were in town I had the misfortune of losing my wallet, it fell out of my pocket. The owner went into town to ask around, being that I didn't speak Spanish well. She allowed me to use her phone to call my credit card companies and even offered to loan me money while I waited for money to be wired to me. The hospitality I received really made a very difficult situation better. I have traveled extensively throughout the world and have never received more help or support than I did in this situation.

I recommend Casa Botania for anyone interested in experiencing a different side of Costa Rica, the temperature in this area is lovely and the people are really friendly. The owners directions were spot on, we were coming form Jaco and she was the only one that ever gave me directions that got me to my location with out stopping and asking for help. Remember there is no address system in Costa Rica so good directions are very important.

Next time I return I will bring my wife (she joined us late in our adventure), she's tired of hearing us compare our other stops in Costa Rica to Casa Botania

Room Tip: Can't go wring with either cabin, we stayed in the larger of the two. I could see it easily acc...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
San Jose, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

The effort and dedication that the owners have placed in this B&B reflects in the hospitality that you receive. It is like arriving to a home away from home. The food is great! The breakfast that we had included fresh bread and banana cake made by Kat, one of the owners. Every ingredient is super fresh as they try to grow everything on site. The view from the room that we had (bungalow) is unbelievable! We hope we can visit this amazing place again. Thanks to Kathy, Pepe, Elias and Loba for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Casa Botania? Share your experiences!