“Pleasantly surprised” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 70 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
San Francisco, CA
“Pleasantly surprised”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I have considered staying here in the past, but was discouraged by the bad reviews. A couple of years ago I asked to see a room and saw their princess suite, but what I was not encouraged. I finally had an opportunity to stay recently when I was looking to spend a romantic night with my wife and the only other rooms available in the city where too expensive standard rooms, or cheap rooms in small hotels with low ratings. For the room features, I felt the rate at Fantasy Inn was worth it. The lobby was much cleaner and neater that it was the previous time I stayed and I was impressed by the appearance of the wedding chappell off the front desk. I asked to see a room and the front desk agent guided us to see a couple of rooms. I was immediately impressed by the cleanliness of the hallways. Both rooms that we got to see were surprisingly clean. We eventually opted to stay in a Royal suite with the heart shaped bath tub and a fireplace. The room features and the cleanliness were the things that stood out and convinced us to stay here since it is so opposite to what I have read in previous reviews. There is no question that the rooms need to be updated and reading the GM's previous responses explaining about an ongoing renovation, I hope it is true. I think the windows should have sheers so that you can have some daylight without compromising privacy, my room did not. There is a huge CRT TV hanging from the ceiling with a sound system connected. I think you can turn it so you can watch tv from the bed or bath tub, but was afraid to try thinking that the tv would crash down. In these days of flat screen TV's, I hope this is one of the things that are changing along with installing a sound system where you can plug in an ipod/ipad/mp3 player; maybe even a DVD player. The two showers were great, but it would be nice with a bigger shower head like some other hotels have. The carpet has seen better days, though it must be difficult to keep clean with a bath tub in the room. The heater was off when we entered the room so it was quite cold and the room took a long time to warm up once we turned the heater on, though together with the fireplace, it eventually got pretty warm. We also had a very good night's sleep on the firm bed. The towels did not seem very old, but were rather rought. I will likely stay here again in future visits and would recommend this for couples, though not for those travelling with kids.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Kathy W, General Manager at Fantasy Inn, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
I thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback and comments. Being that we are now under new ownership the hotel is going through many exciting changes and improvements. One of the biggest obstacles that we have had to overcome is the negative reviews and comments that are associated with the prior ownership. It has not been easy and it is an ongoing challenge. But one that we welcome. It is your comments and input that help us to make the improvements and changes that help us to climb higher in ranks among the other properties in our area. I am proud to say that our housekeeping staff takes great pride in their jobs and I believe that it shows in the cleanliness of the rooms. If there is an issue that needs to be addressed I work very hard to get the issue resolved as quickly as possible. I always welcome all my guests’ comments and concerns be it good or bad. I try to make every attempt to make sure our guests have a pleasant experience while staying with us here at Fantasy Inn. If there is anything that we can do to help make our guest’s trip more enjoyable we are happy to do what we can to see that happens. Again, thank you for your comments and I hope to see you again soon.

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

First I must thank Kathy for giving us the october deal even though our stay was in november. I will continue to stay and send my friends to the fantasy Inn! This stay was just as great as the others. We were excited to see that rennovations have begun in some of the rooms. Our fav room 110 marie antoinette appeared to have fresh paint on the walls and new bed linens and a new coffee maker since we last stayed in march. It was clean and well stocked with paul mitchell ammenities and large white towels, as many as we could ask for. We stayed 3 nights this time and love the large sized rooms that you just can't find elsewhere. This year out of curiosity we toured some theme rooms of other motels in the area. And we still remain fantasy inn faithful!! The rooms are huge and we intend to use that giant tub and open shower!!! You can't get that anywhere else. With rooms large enough to hang out comfortably, and all those fantastic mirrors...go for the gusto, get out of your shell, soak in a heart shaped jacuzzi, walk to the beach.... Just try it once and you will feel like you are going home everytime!!! Thank you fantasy Inn for another wonderful anniversary! See you next year!!

• Stayed November 2012
Kathy W, General Manager at Fantasy Inn, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
I would first like to thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your stay with us here at Fantasy Inn. I always encourage our guests to leave their comments, as that is how I know how we are doing through the eyes of our guests. I am always happy to hear that our guests are repeat guests or even nicer to hear is that they are a repeat guest for several years. Yes, we have began the renovation of the rooms and the entire hotel property and there are so many great things that we will be doing that will offer our guests new options for their stay with us that we have not offered before. Not to mention some great new and fun theme rooms. So again I thank you for your comments and we look forward to seeing you in the future for many years to come.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

I love this hotel out of any of the Lake Tahoe hotels. My husband and I are going to be staying there again for our anniversary coming up in October. Every time we stay we are warmly greeted. We have stayed in different rooms every time we go and will continue to stay in a different room. The themes are romantic and fun. My husband and I are a young couple and love the atmosphere of the hotel. I look forward to our stay this upcoming weekend.

• Stayed September 2012
Kathy W, General Manager at Fantasy Inn, responded to this review, October 7, 2012
I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We have many guests that stay with us every year to celebrate their anniversay. You mentioned that you have stayed in several different rooms which many guests like to do. Well on your next visit you will see that we are renovating all of our rooms and updating our hotel. We will have some exciting new themes that we think our guests will enjoy. Along with the new theme rooms we will be addiing a new breakfast room and a wine bar for your enjoyment. We have a lot of new changes happening soon and hope that you will return soon to see them. Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments and hope to see you again soon,
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

This review is for the wedding chapel as I did not stay in the hotel. Carol at the Fantasy Inn & Wedding Chapel was amazing. The garden and chapel are beautiful and the service they provide is highly professional yet friendly and relaxed. I would highly recommend the Fantasy Inn wedding chapel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Kathy W, General Manager at Fantasy Inn, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
I thank you very much for taking the time to leave your comments about your recent visit to our property. I know that Carol treats each of our wedding clients as there wedding is our only wedding. I am happy to hear that you liked our new chapel. Carol and I created a vision of what we wanted to do and hoped that evveryone else saw it as we did. I always like to hear what my guests comments are be it good or bad, that helps me to address any areas that may need my attention. Again, I thank you for your comments and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

My husband and I have stayed at the Inn four years in a row during our annual tahoe anniversary trips. We started our 1st year staying in Antony and Cleopatra 4 years ago and we have since stayed in caesars indulgence and marie antoinette. As far as cleanliness, I am a registered nurse and a clean hotel is very important!! This hotel has always been very clean. We have always gone through dozens of towels and It seems so strange that there is such a towel shortage when we have always gotten fresh towels without hesitation. We have never experienced a lack of hot water which would make for a miserable stay
Since the shower and the jacuzzi are our fav things about the rooms. There has always been plenty. Some of the lighting has not worked on a couple of our visits but with the fireplace and dimmer lights we can't complain. Plus the mirrors are so much fun and never have I seen anyones fingerprints in any of the steam! I will stay nowhere else when I visit tahoe. I look forward to the updates and rennovations that are going to take place. We have always had a great time here. Its close to the casinos and walking distance for a moonlit stroll to the lake. It is a place for fantasy and not prudes. Use your imagination and lighten up. Lovers stay here and everyone else check out the best western.

• Stayed March 2012
, General Manager at Fantasy Inn, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Thank you for your review, it is appriciated very much. I make it a point to respond to my guests comments, questions and concerns. I am glad that you enjoyed your last stay with us. We have just begun the renovations here at the hotel and I am sure that you will be very happy on your next visit to see some of the great things we are doing. If there is ever anything that we can do to make your next trip more enjoyable please let us know. Next time you need to book a room please call the hotel and ask for me, Kathy. I would like to speak to you and say thank you for your comments.
Elk Grove, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

We went on June 12, 2012 for our 2nd wedding anniversary. When we returned from dinner, we wanted to use the spa. This is where the problems started. We had no hot water. We called the front desk. We were told, they would check the boiler to make sure it was on, since they had been having problems with it (we were not told this when we checked-in). One hour later, we called again, still no hot water. They said the boiler had been off, it was now on. Just give it more time. The water did finally get warmer after about 1.5hr.
Next morning, we wanted to take a shower, again no hot water. We called down again (this was the 3rd time we had to call for hot water). Check out was at 11am, it was 10am when we called. No hot water, just a cold shower.
During check-out, we spoke to the front desk person. She tried to tell me the boiler was on-bull.
They knew about the problem and didn’t say anything. Then they tried to lie about it when questioned. They gave us $20 dollars off the bill. This is bad business not to mention the possible code violations. We will never go back.

Nat&Kim

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Pleasanton, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

stayed her with my girlfriend dec 2011 new years eve, got there at 3pm and upon check in, was told no towels yet in room, we said ok, we were going out and wanted to shower by 5pm. at 5 still no towels, we called again, was told in dryer, 6pm no towels called again and let front desk clerk we would want a refund if no towels are avail, they finally brought some down and had only two and one hand towel that looked like car wash towels. un-acceptable. jaquzzi was nice room was clean but bad staff and manager could care less about our situation. nancy good luck to change this review around for future.

Room Tip: check for towels first