“Inexpensive, Clean & Great Location” 4 of 5 stars

Highland Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3979 Lake Tahoe Boulevard, South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150   |
Ranked #39 of 70 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Kansas City, Kansas
“Inexpensive, Clean & Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

We took our boys out so my husband could ride in "America's Most Beautiful Bike Ride". We stayed in this Inn for the 1st night until others in our party arrived then we changed hotels. The hotel was clean and updated. The beds where comfortable, pillows were very flat and we had to request more. There is a mini fridge to keep a few things in. Bring your blow dryer as there isn't one. The manager/front desk seems a little odd but is very helpful and friendly. The location is within walking distance of shopping and dining, great location. After talking to him further we discovered they had a suite that was nice. It included a full kitchen, with everything you need to make meals, a washer and dryer and 3 bedrooms. It had a large dining area and living room. It is worth looking into if you are going on a budget. Keep in mind if you have small children there is not a pool or hot tub. Next year if we travel alone we will definitely consider staying here.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

I found this place after searching through Hotel.com and Orbitz, and felt the per night price was good value. I booked a room with a buddy so we could snowboard two full days at Heavenly. I really appreciated that the distance from our hotel to the Gondola and the Casinos was great. The convenience cannot be understated. Restaurants and shops are really close by. Inside the room, the floors are updated with hardwood. There is a medium sized fridge, so you can stock up on food at Safeway. There is a nice large LCD TV, which took some fiddling with in order to get reception (TIP: set the TV input to HDMI 1 to get channels). The quirks - in the updated bathroom, some of the shelving had seen some some use at it was almost knocked out of the wall. There was also a ripped off towel hook in the shower, and one towel that we received had a quarter sized hole in it. The heater also did not seem to work even after putting the setting all the way to the max (90 degrees), but the room retained heat well and we stayed warm under the covers. I did not bother complaining about these things because they are not terrible issues. The heat issue I imagine could be bigger if it was much colder, but it was in the 10s at night and we still stayed warm.

This place may not be for everyone, but I am used to seeing worse in order to just snowboard. The convenience of being possible first chair on the slopes, for the value of the reservation approximately $75 a night, was great in my book.

Room Tip: I booked through HotelClub.com, the front desk seemed to honor it as an Orbitz reservation. Go figur...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Newport Beach, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

We had two room on the first floor of this 2-story 30-room motel, and it felt like I was sleeping right on Lake Tahoe Blvd. People (loud, drunken people) were returning all throughout the night, so or seems, thus, not allowing us to get a decent night's rest. Amenities were okay and rooms are somewhat updated and appeared to be clean. I still agree with one of the previous reviewers that unless you are going to be one of the late-night drunken partiers, go for a cabin rental instead if you don't want to fork out dough during peak season for a high-end hotel. No way am I going to be found in in such a busy street in Tahoe again.

• Stayed December 2013
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

This place was great! Comfy beds, excellent price, and in an ideal location! This is my new go-to for South Lake Tahoe residing. Heating worked well and was a nice relief from the cold outside! Applebee's is right next door, fun location for happy hour!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

I booked a trip for two, and did a poor job of it. Upon arrival (10pm), the front desk clerk was noticeably intoxicated and took some work to jostle in the back (I mean, seriously, I went to college, how does one get drunk and pass out by 10pm? Ladies, take note.) Now I'd be grumpy too if someone woke me in that state, but he became downright rude when he couldn't find our reservation (while professionalism points were obviously docked as he stumbled about, the incoherent, slurred curse words throughout his search became annoying and disrespectful after about 5 F-bombs. Parents, take note). He never could find it so he had us write down our information while he went to "get something", I think because the keys were all whirling together on the keyboard and he needed to upchuck and/or cool off. But I'll be darned if he doesn't bring us a space heater for our room and tells us to "just plug this in". The shock in our faces was obvious I'm sure, but then he recanted and said "oh wait, the heater in your room works". I was skeptical to say the least about our room but the room itself was nice. The working heater was a big plus as I heard two other groups complaining about theirs outside their room. Again, the room was great and the location was perfect. Then 3am came around and the people upstairs decided to play what we deduced as leapfrog. Not just two of them, but think 10-12. Mind you we requested an upstairs unit, though they would have known that had they been able to a) Find my reservation or b) Understand with a coherent mind what someone is saying to them. After the party spilled out onto the balcony we called our drunken sailor at the front desk and after a couple more curse words, he said he would "call them again". Call them! Again, I went to college. I had, THOSE parties. An in-person warning followed by a call to the police should be standard procedure. But, a phone call! I guess that's what happens when someone ties a few more on after having problems with the reservation system and doesn't want to be woken for anything. The party ultimately calmed down around 4:30 (no thanks to a phone call), but by then we were seriously considering driving down to Harvey's just so we could sleep. We considered complaining to management but we never saw anyone else. I called today and the guy picks up the phone and says there isn't a manager there, but he can help me...yeah, so long as I don't need you to break up a party at your hotel or be professional or provide adequate heating. Having these things happen personally makes you review how you chose such a terrible place to begin with. I know you have to take these reviews with a grain of salt, but please trust that the claims of unprofessionalism, noisiness, and lack of heating at this hotel are not to be taken lightly. I chose the hotel thinking it was a good value in the low-mid range hotel market, though the numerous non-alcohol-induced headaches took away any satisfaction of value.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Not worthy of a Tripadvisor sticker on the office door. Location is the ONLY plus! Older facility w/poor renovations. Broken heater & A/C, no stopper in wash bowl, TINY shower, NO closet....just hanging bar & soiled ironing board, no pool, no fitness center, plastic furniture, no coffeemaker in room, no maid service on 4th day of 4-day "promotion". You get what you pay for.

Room Tip: HI Express next door would be a much better choice!!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Sacramento, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

Booked the three bedroom family suite and arrived to find that the room is 10 feet from Lake Tahoe Blvd which is THE main thoroughfare through South Lake Tahoe. Heavy traffic noise throughout much of the night. Suite itself was average at best. Gaps in the front door frame allowed a narrow view into the room from the outside (nice huh?). Portable A/C units had duct work that went through rough holes in the wall. Front closet looked to be a former bathroom, because what looked like a hole for the sewer line WAS STILL OPEN in the closet. No sewer smell, but still.....come on, at least put a board over the thing. Lighting fixtures put on the wall to "fancyfy" the place looked ok I suppose, but upon close examination, did not actually have any lights in them. Classy.

All in all, definitely not worth the money and I'd only recommend this particular suite if maybe you are in to partying all night, stumbling back to the hotel and passing out. Then maybe you wouldn't notice the room.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to Highland Inn? Share your experiences!