“Good value for money stay!” 4 of 5 stars

Highland Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3979 Lake Tahoe Boulevard, South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150   |
Ranked #43 of 70 hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Sunnyvale, California
“Good value for money stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Great location in South Lake Tahoe, only a 15 minute walk to the Casio's or 10 minutes for the Gondola.
Parking is free and the room rate was very reasonable for the location. The room seemed clean enough, and looked recently renovated. The bathroom and linens were clean and fresh .

The room has hardwood floors, (so I tried not to clunk about at night to annoy the neighbours downstairs) a large flat screen TV and mini-fridge.
Overall, it was a nice stay for a hotel in this rating and price range.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

68 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
CA USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I hesitate to post as I don't want to give the hotel management reason to raise their rates. I paid $50 for a Sunday to Monday rate. Well worth it.
This is my new hotel when making a weekend or short overnight trip to Tahoe for skiing at Heavenly, replacing the Holiday Inn Express just two buildings away. The hotel rooms have been remodeled over the last 2 years...very contemporary, clean, and functional (free wi-fi).
I stayed on the 2nd floor based on comments from Hotel.com. I agree, the h/w floors make then 2nd floor the better choice.
The hotel is right next door to Applebee's making a nice, quick bite to eat easy. Starbuck's in just across the street.
The Highland doesn't offer sweet roles for breakfast like the HIE, but at better than 1/2 the price, it's a no brainer--this is my new hotel retreat for Heavenly.
The front desk staff was very good. It was nice that I could buy Gatorade, water, etc. from the front desk.

Room Tip: Request 2nd floor, room 212 -- farthest away from any potential road noise from S. Lake Tahoe Blvd...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
San Bruno, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Stayed in a king room (#102) and cannot complain. We were out here to watch the HARBOWL on the big screen with some of our friends that were staying at harvey's. We needed something inexpensive b/c it was only one night. Found this Inn on the internet and came to found out its a nice clean room, just as I expected. Front staff were nice. Big flat screen. Working Heating system. Clean Baths. The beds are very comfortable. For those who have super sensitive hearing, it wasn't a very quiet room, you could lightly hear the cars passing by on the roads but that was no biggie to us because we're heavy sleepers. All in all great stay, highly recommend, and ya'll will see me sometime again!

Room Tip: The beds are super comfty!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Greenville, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

A <10 -minute walk gets you from the Highland Inn to the Heavenly gondola, making it an excellent location for skiing. Parking is free and the room rate was reasonable for the location. The first impression was that the room was very clean, but there looked to be some stains on the sheets once we pulled back the comforter. The bathroom and linens were very clean though. The room has hardwood floors, a large flat screen TV and mini-fridge. Overall, it met my expectations for a hotel in this rating and price range.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the highland inn over Labor Day weekend. The fact that I could book it on the Friday says something about its popularity but I struggled to understand why that might be.

The design of the place is pretty cool, the rooms are clean and modern with air conditioning and all the modern conveniences. The beds were comfy too.

I was woken up at 3am by a drunk frat boy thinking it was his room, but that was not the fault of the hotel.

The only thing that did get me was the reception staff was a NASCAR watching dude with slightly bizaare social skills. He was nice enough but you didn't get the feeling he was particularly interested in helping you out.

All in all a pleasant stay but nothing exceptional.

• Stayed September 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012 via mobile

Got shown the room before we booked. Pleasantly surprised to find modern deco, comfy bed and new shower,. Oh and huge plasma. Great location close to the lake and the cable car. It was I good stop on our journey from Napa to Yosemit.

• Stayed September 2012
San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

Let's see the guy working the front desk (who is apparently always theres so beware) was extremely rude to us upon our arrival. We got to the hotel rather late and woke him but I'm sorry that is no excuse for treating paying customers like crap. Most people who stay in a motel have been travelling for hours and sometimes things go wrong that interrupt your plans of arriving at a early hour and no where on their website does it say that check in must occur between x amount of hours. We were exhausted had been travelling for 15 hours and the last thing we needed was to be treated like we were the rude people who dare wake the only person running the front door. By the way we never did get a apology during our short overnight stay. Then to make matters worse we were triple charged for the room that I had already paid for in advance. They decided to charge us a additional 250 some odd dollars, which P.S. thier room rate was 99, so where the magic number of 250.00 came from is beyond me and I never did get a explanation.
Then after all that we ended up leaving our pillows behind in our rush to leave the property and so far I have had to call twice to ask that our pillows be mailed to us. It's been three weeks since our visit and guess what? no pillows. The firt time I called I got a excuse that they couldn't be mailed when they initially said because they had to wash them. Wash them? Who asked you to wash our pillows? Surprise, surprise more rudeness when I called the second time and the cherry on top is the guy didn't even have my address saved, I had to give him all my info yet again. I'm about to call for the third time but at this point my hopes are low and my request to have the owner call me never happened either.
The room was just ok, it was clean, no coffee in the room, but we could hear absolutely every movement and sound going on in all the rooms around us.
There is absolutely no saving grace for this property. Do yourselves a favor and find somewhere else to stay.

Room Tip: I would give zero stars if I could
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Highland Inn? Share your experiences!