“Nice Spot in South Lake Tahoe” 3 of 5 stars

You added Highland Inn to your Saves list
Highland Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3979 Lake Tahoe Boulevard, South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150   |
Ranked #46 of 71 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
“Nice Spot in South Lake Tahoe”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the highland inn over Labor Day weekend. The fact that I could book it on the Friday says something about its popularity but I struggled to understand why that might be.

The design of the place is pretty cool, the rooms are clean and modern with air conditioning and all the modern conveniences. The beds were comfy too.

I was woken up at 3am by a drunk frat boy thinking it was his room, but that was not the fault of the hotel.

The only thing that did get me was the reception staff was a NASCAR watching dude with slightly bizaare social skills. He was nice enough but you didn't get the feeling he was particularly interested in helping you out.

All in all a pleasant stay but nothing exceptional.

• Stayed September 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012 via mobile

Got shown the room before we booked. Pleasantly surprised to find modern deco, comfy bed and new shower,. Oh and huge plasma. Great location close to the lake and the cable car. It was I good stop on our journey from Napa to Yosemit.

• Stayed September 2012
San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

Let's see the guy working the front desk (who is apparently always theres so beware) was extremely rude to us upon our arrival. We got to the hotel rather late and woke him but I'm sorry that is no excuse for treating paying customers like crap. Most people who stay in a motel have been travelling for hours and sometimes things go wrong that interrupt your plans of arriving at a early hour and no where on their website does it say that check in must occur between x amount of hours. We were exhausted had been travelling for 15 hours and the last thing we needed was to be treated like we were the rude people who dare wake the only person running the front door. By the way we never did get a apology during our short overnight stay. Then to make matters worse we were triple charged for the room that I had already paid for in advance. They decided to charge us a additional 250 some odd dollars, which P.S. thier room rate was 99, so where the magic number of 250.00 came from is beyond me and I never did get a explanation.
Then after all that we ended up leaving our pillows behind in our rush to leave the property and so far I have had to call twice to ask that our pillows be mailed to us. It's been three weeks since our visit and guess what? no pillows. The firt time I called I got a excuse that they couldn't be mailed when they initially said because they had to wash them. Wash them? Who asked you to wash our pillows? Surprise, surprise more rudeness when I called the second time and the cherry on top is the guy didn't even have my address saved, I had to give him all my info yet again. I'm about to call for the third time but at this point my hopes are low and my request to have the owner call me never happened either.
The room was just ok, it was clean, no coffee in the room, but we could hear absolutely every movement and sound going on in all the rooms around us.
There is absolutely no saving grace for this property. Do yourselves a favor and find somewhere else to stay.

Room Tip: I would give zero stars if I could
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
South Lake Tahoe, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

It was one of those days where everything went wrong, and we found ourselves hot, tired and without a place to stay. We thought maybe the Holiday Inn would have a good deal on a room; we were shocked to find they wanted $169 a night. We went next door and they had a clean, recently updated room with a king sized bed and fridge for $65.00 a night. The bed was comfy, the towels were decent quality, and the tv was a large flat screen. The wifi connection was a bit spotty, but it's free. The guys who work there are old-school locals, and they were very helpful.

The location is excellent, just blocks from the lake, the lifts and the casinos. There's no reason to spend more than you have to on a room.

Room Tip: Try to get a room near the back, away from Lake Tahoe Blvd.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

Hi everyone! Returned from South Lake Tahoe a couple of days ago and wanted to share a bit about our stay. This was my first visit to Lake Tahoe and we were looking for an economical stay for a few days. Found a package on Orbitz that included the Highland Inn and Hertz rental for 288.00 - 4 days/3 nights. I must admit I was a little skeptical given some of the reviews, but I can say that it was a GREAT experience! The Inn is located within walking distance of the Grand Marriott resort which includes the gondola ride up Mt. Heavenly and many shops and restaurants to explore. Our room (102) was very cozy - with a refrigerator, nice flat screen and a comfortable bed. It was clean, stocked with enough linens and accessing WiFi was no problem! The air condition was a little loud, but tolerable. Many people commented on a negative experience with the front desk….we arrived at 2:30AM and woke him out of a sleep, but we did call beforehand to say we were arriving late. While not in the best of moods, he was very accommodating and made sure our room was prepped and apologized the next day for being a little grumpy. He helped us with directions, recommended a couple of spots for dining and was really a good guy. I think it helped that we are laid back people and don't take too many things personally. The location of Highland Inn was a plus - close enough to the casinos if you're interested, and walkable distance to a really nice beach. The only reason I didn't mark this 5 stars was because of the shower. It is a little small, and it's hard to adjust the shower head. Other wise, pressure was fine and so was the temperature. Overall, I highly recommend Highland Inn, it's a great choice for budget and comfort. If you are looking for a room overflowing with amenities, this is not the place. However, if you like quaint, comfy and are looking to save money BOOK IT!

Room Tip: You might choose an upstairs room, we could hear footsteps, but it was tolerable and we are heavy sl...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Acton, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

The desk clerk was extremely rude. I was not greeted when I came in, and when I inquired how he was, he responded with "I've been better." He went on to complain how busy he was!!!!!! It took him well over 20 minutes to check me in and I was the only one there! He appeared to be on drugs and kept crumpling up papers. Then after 20 minutes, he told me I did not have a reservation!! He found it in his messy pile, and finally checked me in. There was no internet unless I sat outside my room or in the office (no thank you!). A smile would go a long way and in this economy, why complain about being busy! He should be grateful!
The room was clean and fairly quiet. I would stay again, but not if I saw the same guy at the front desk!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Oakley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Stayed here in November for my birthday with my best friend. When I came to check in the front desk clerk was very rude and reeked of alcohol. I myself work at a hotel and would never allow this behavior (Drinking on the job!) Not only that but me and my friend seen him walking the parking lot with what seemed to be a local sipping on a beer. Other then that I absolutely LOVE this hotel and recommend it to all my friends! It is in walking distance of MonteBleu, Harris, Harvey's, and the Gondola. There is a apple bees and carros in the next parking lot over. I think we only paid 55$ plus tax a night. Rooms were very clean and beds were comfy! They had a cute cabin feel to them. I cant wait to stay here again I just hope they have different staff! If you dont want to drive either Taxi cabs are SUPER affordable too!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends