“Best value” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #46 of 70 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Santa Clara, California
“Best value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2011

I don't know if we got the best room in this motel but our room was in perfect condition, clean, quiet, warm with cable TV and Internet access. We have a parrot and they let it in (after they checked the size): only $5/day for the pet (discount).

Location is fantastic: Starbuck near by, pizzeria and suchi accross the street. Bus to Heavenly accross the street. 5 Minutes driving to Nevada's casinos.

I got a bing bang for my bucks and spent 5 days there. Will certainly come back for same room at same price.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Sacramento, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

Service- No comment
Room- absolutely worse then terrible,the mattresses and pillows must be 20 years old. I'm positive the blankets, sheets and towels are not being washed properly. The only thing nice was the T.V.
Location-Great
We won't be staying here ever again.

Room Tip: Ask them to show you the room before you rent it.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
St. George, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2010

We belong to travel clubs and when we stay at a motel it tends to be inexpensive. We just want a place to sleep.
We found the owners friendly and our room was nicer than we expected and certainly clean. We would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Tracy, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2010

I went to my brothers wedding and wanted to stay new the wedding party. This location was in a great spot. As soon as we got in the room we knew we were disappointed. There were no towels, bathroom was not clean....and BEDBUGS! We were both attacked horribly! Making this review to warn others, BEWARE the BEDBUGS!!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
WESTPORT
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2009

Motel was what you would expect for one at the lower price range - clean and efficient, but not much else. Worth the price listed through the online disount travel services. I'd be happy to stay there again. However, the desk clerk tried to hit me with two additional charges at checkin - a service charge and an energy charge - worth more then 25% of the "guaranteed" Travelocity room rate.

Beware of such bait and switch practices. While motels can charge you for additional services you specifically use, such as phone, parking, room service, etc., the agreed rate they lisit with the online travel services is suppose to include any charges that apply uniformly to every guest. Do not pay them at checkin. Call the travel service immediately, if possible. Once the traves service and motel have spoken the charges should miraculously disappear.

Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
Los Angeles, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2008

... is that it was within walking distance of the Heavenly Gondola, and there was a good sushi joint across the street.

We stayed here over President's Day weekend. The room rate was $59 per night and the location was good. I know you get what you pay for, and I don't mind staying in a dive.

This place is a dive. That's putting it nicely. The walkways upstairs are covered in tattered Astroturf. The pavement in the parking lot is crumbling. The motel itself is dilapidated.

We checked in around 1am, and the fellow behind the counter was of grumpy countenance. They really nickel & dime you. It's $10 per extra room guest. Every hotel I have ever been to will charge extra for extra room guests, but usually they assume people travel in pairs and don't start charging until guest #3. Here, they charge $10 per +1. Pets? That's another $10. I didn't dare ask for an extra towel.

Speaking of towels, I have stayed in some no-frills places, but damn, this was the coarsest towel I have *ever* encountered. The Astroturf outside was softer and better-worn that this. And the bathroom itself, though not a total loss, was still in dire need of remodeling.

I did not encounter the cleanliness issues other reported. My fridge was spotless and odorless. The microwave was equally sanitary. There was no hair on the floor or sheets. The bed was made and tidy (though the sheets were coarse, too). It was simply no-frills, and I expected that.

The motel is family-owned and operated, and that includes maid-service. We were going to hit the mountain in a few minutes, os i put the maid service sign on the door. The housecleaner swooped right in unexpectedly, then curtly let us know that they do all the cleaning themselves, and if we didn't want the maid, we shouldn't put out the sign. We put the sign up again as soon as we left.

Problem was, when we came back for lunch, our door was open! We went in and checked to see if anything was tampered with or stolen. We asked the maid (who was in the hallway around the corner) if she was cleaning the room because we were concerned aobut the open door. Then she got mad at us for putting out the maid sign when we supposedly didn't want the maid. We *did* want the maid! We just didn't want our room to be left open when unsupervised!!!

My traveling companion said the motel manager gave him the evil eye because I had not declared his presence. I fibbed by saying I traveled alone, but it saved me $30.

The only time I felt like they were being nice to me was at check-out. At least he didn't tack on the $30 for having a stowaway.

You get what you pay for. The only thing this place has got in its favor is location. A mile further down the road, I'd guarantee you they'd be out of business.

• Liked — Location was great!
  • Disliked — The place is dumpy.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
San Francisco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2006

We came into town late in the afternoon without reservations and after looking around for awhile for an air conditioned room (it was very hot) we met the front desk woman (who is presumably the head of the family who lives on the property). She told us we wouldn't find anywhere else with air conditioning and nobody else would be as cheap as them on a Saturday night. I would have rather slept in my car after this awful experience. I went into the room (which we paid a ridiculous rate of $150!) which was in poor taste, with a stinky fridge, and hairs all over the bathroom. The linens were filthy, the shower was clogged up, and the whirlpool was long ago disconnected. The sign on the front of the building, along with the lady, told us that there was air conditioning. Upon settling into our room, we noticed that it did not work. I went to tell her and in her most innocent face she tells me that no room have air conditioning, they have 'water coolers'. She totally lied to us! In addition to this, the electricity went out around 9pm until 6:30 AM and they would not offer us a discount or refund. Their kids were loud and played outside all night keeping us up even after we requested they keep it down. Please, don't go here. You'll be sorry!

Stayed July 2006

Been to Travelers Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!