“Bed Bug Infested Filthy Hell Hole!” 1 of 5 stars

Pinewood Inn
3818 Lake Tahoe Blvd, South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150   |
Ranked #69 of 70 hotels in South Lake Tahoe
New York City, New York
“Bed Bug Infested Filthy Hell Hole!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

This filthy place is infested with bed bugs! Health inspectors need to close it down ASAP. Unable to sleep from constant itching, we asked to be moved into another room only to experience the same horror in the next room. Late at night and early hours of the morning, tiny blood-filled bed bugs crawled out from the mattress and headboards like a horror movie! There were blood stains on bed linen from previous customers' bites and a rancid smell of mold and moth bitten upholstery. After checking our rashes doctors verified we had encountered a bed bug infestation and we were left suffering with the discomfort and disgust for several weeks after our stay. The customer service was equally as appalling. The married couple and son from India have zero customer service skills and are the rudest people we have encountered in our vast traveling. The wife is extremely neurotic. Upon being presented with a complaint she reacts in an hysterical manner, screaming and shouting aggressively. Please avoid this health hazard and warn others to do so. Worst place ever.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

21 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Benicia, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

It's an older motel. No pool. No hot tub. Though the rooms are clean, it doesn't give you the feeling of clean due to the poor upkeep. The bed was very comfortable. Air conditioner worked. The room rate was consistent with the room type. At least they know where they stand and do not try to overcharge for what you get. They could not provide the extra cot requested.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Sherwood, or
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

With the moldy, musty smell in the bathroom, this place literally stinks. Look straight up from the bed I could see daylight through a crack in the ceiling. And the lumps under the carpet? Don't want to think about it.

Worst of all is the dishonesty of the management (this motel is operated by a family from india).

We left a special coffee mug behind on leaving -- tan, brown rim, pretty flower boquet on the side. In the morning, I put it on the end table by the door, my wife remembers seeing it, also remembers not packing it. We called the next day, the manager denied finding anything in the room. I offered to pay for its return, he only suggested I was mistaken. Such a small, cramped room, it would be impossible to miss. Furthermore, he said they did their own cleaning. Obviously they preferred to keep it.

Sad. Even if desperate for a motel, avoid this place.

Room Tip: Avoid this place.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

Worst hotel I have ever stayed in, no where near worth the money I spent. I couldn't sleep all night because I kept thinking critters were going to crawl out of every orifice. It was disgusting.
To be fair, I peeked in some of the other rooms and they did not all look as bad as the one I stayed in. I think they give the WORST room to the people who book on discount sites. It's embarrassingly bad, and I'm not hard to please.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Hollister, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

When I stopped by to inquire about what rooms they had available the women immediately asked me for my ID before even telling me about the availability. She would not believe I was old enough to check and and even asked me point blank while staring at my drivers license "This is fake, right?" They had the worst customer service I have ever seen. She finally gave me the key to my room and when I got to the room I saw the very apparent lack of cleanliness. The carpet had big dark black spot all over it and the sheets were dirty.The headboard was covered with cigarette butts even though I asked for a non-smoking room. I went into the bathroom and there was dirt all over the floor and the sink. I went out and asked for a clean room and she told me she wouldnt give me one. I told her that I needed my money back then and she ended up charging me $50.00 which was a complete rip off. They run a completely dishonest business and I am warning people to never never go there. Spend an extra $20.00 and go to a nicer inn or even motel. This place is completely horrible.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Burbank, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2010

the room was terrible and the floor was dirty, the towels were not clean the toilet need to be replaced, door not good no place for romance don't come you will be sorry, they say you get what you pay for.

Rose

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Everett, WA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2010

Not even close to a 1 star, could not pay me to stay there. Room was dark, dirty, shower door broken, heater not working, was told it was summer no need for it..
We had made online reservations for two nights. I would not accept the room, she had me look at another and it was worse! Paneling patched over the window and the curtains were falling down! Come on!
Asked for something else and was told since I had asked for smoking, I could not get non smoking and the only other thing available had two beds and would cost more!
Pay more, I don't think so. Asked for my money back and was told to take it up with the company I booked the reservation with.
Went down the road to Doc's Cottages, and loved it.! My recomendation is run as fast as you can away from the pine cone!!! Filthy, nasty and rude owners!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Pinewood Inn? Share your experiences!