This is a great hotel, but be aware of a few issues.
- Generous, helpful owners. The owner actually lower our room rate because of our mistake!
- Lovely, well decorated rooms. Lots of personal touches, like stemmed wine glasses.
- Terrific location. Walk to the lake. Short drive to the state line and all the casinos.
- Refrigerator and microwave in the room.
- Free wi-fi! Great signal -- really appreciated!
- Showers are terrible. Either freezing cold or scalding hot. I kept having to jump out to avoid being scalded when (I assume) someone else turned on the water. Seriously!
- No air conditioning.
- No ice machine! There is a fridge, but I like ice and it seems like such a small thing.
- To run out of toilet paper once is inexcusable; to run out twice is unforgivable! Left a note to ask for a second roll to be left in the room and when the "backup" roll was used, it was not replaced, so we ran out again on the last day. There should ALWAYS be an extra roll. A guest shouldn't have to beg for toilet paper!
- The room could be cleaner. The floor in the bathroom was dirty and there was an ant infestation. The carpeting wasn't vacuumed every day.
Good to know:
- This is one of those older motor inns that has been lovingly restored to add charm.
- All the rooms open directly outside. Women traveling alone - be aware. There are locks on the windows, but those "blocking" locks can be easily broken.
- Breakfast only Saturday and Sunday. I thought this was a B&B. I didn't check and some of the reviews mentioned breakfast, so I assumed (always a mistake) it would be daily. This was my error, but I wish I had know before I booked.
- They only change the sheets and provide fresh towels every third day.
- No work desk in the room.
If you want all the familiar conveniences of a chain hotel, this is not the place for you. If you want a great deal, to spend your money at a locally owned establishment, and stay in a place that has loads of charm and wonderful, generous owners, this is a terrific choice.
Ground floor you can hear people above you. Second floor you have to carry your stuff up stairs.
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
July 10, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and your feedback. One of our main goals is for our guests to feel as though they got their money's worth, and, from the title of this review, it seems like we accomplished that goal. We also appreciate that this guest loved the location along with the other amenities that we offer.
Report response as inappropriate
I would like to address a few of the "cons" that this guest addressed:
While I am deeply sorry for the issue you had with the shower, this one actually surprises me. Many of our guests (including some that will mention it in a review) say they love our showers...good pressure and hot water. We will certainly check on this so we can make sure all guests can get a good shower!
This guest is correct in that we do not have A/C. The truth is most lodging accommodations in Tahoe do not have A/C With temperatures, even in the summer, normally getting into the 40's at night, it is only on those rare "heat wave" occasions do people mention the heat. And even then we have fans we can put in the rooms that, mixed with the cool nights, can make the room comfortable.
We do not have an ice machine but we let guests know that we will certainly provide them with ice if they just let us know. We keep ice in a separate freezer .
Totally agree on the toilet paper issue...our fault and we apologize.
Our apologies that the bathroom floor was not properly cleaned. We take great pride in the cleanliness of the rooms so please know we dropped the ball on this one. Regarding the ants, we do get a pest control company to spray once a month but every once in a while we do see some carpenter ants. When daily servicing the room we do not vacuum the rooms; we only do that on check out and for stays longer than 3 days. When we do a daily service of the room we make the bed, change out towels (although if a towel is hanging up we keep it in there...similar to all hotels), replenish toiletries, and straighten up.
Regarding the windows, we have ordered new ones that will not have the blocking locks...they will lock just the way all new windows do. Some have already been installed and we are waiting on the second shipment.
Lastly, all of our rooms are designed differently...that is what makes us unique. Some have a classy look, some have a theme, while others just have a nice décor. Since they are designed differently, some rooms have a desk and others do not. Of course you can always request a room that has a desk in it.
I do appreciate the feedback from the guest. And it sounds like she had a good time, which I am thankful for...I just wanted to simply address some of the issues she mentioned.
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.