“Fresh clean welcoming room” 5 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Motel   |   1072 Ski Run Blvd., South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #4 of 70 hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Frisco, Texas
“Fresh clean welcoming room”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

After a long day of traveling we arrived at the alder inn and were able to check in a little early. We entered into our clean room that smelled so fresh and welcoming. This motel is non-smoking, we are very sensitive and did not even have to question it. the entire motel had a very clean appearance, clean inside and outside. The motel is close to several places to eat which we chose to walk to since the weather was nice. We have decided that this motel is in the best location, close to restaurants, off the main hwy and quiet, and you can see the lake from the street.
Shawna

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

364 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Met Layni by email and phone and she helped me pick the perfect room. We stayed in room 24 in the back corner of the hotel our room had a chaise lounger, 2 super soft bathrobes, flat screen TV in a cabinet, microwave, coffee pot, fridge ceiling fan and really quite as the hotel is not located on busy highway 50 but a couple of blocks down ski run street. The best thing is when I researched hotels this is one of the only small hotels that actually has a bathtub which is a must for me. We drove 15 hours stright from home and arrived at the hotel around 9pm was greated by Dawn and she got us checked in quickly and when we opened the door to our room it looked even better than photos from website. The heat was on and the room was toasty warm, i took a nice hot bath and we settled down for the night. Chaise lounger was great for reading and was beside the window. The bed and sheets were soft and plush. We had plenty of pillows and enjoyed a nice quiet night. Wanted Bacon and Eggs for breakfast so we walked a block down ski run to Red Hut Cafe one morning and the next morning walked to the beach and ate at Wildmans in front of Riva Grill. Dinner at Riva grill once again walked to becase the weather was so good. nice lighted sidewalks on both sides of Ski Run street. Met Chad and he recommended some great hikes and sightseeing locations and told us about his hidden gems. Ask him about Fasta Pasta what a great find. See review for Fasta Pasta seperate. Thanks Layni, Dawn and Chad for making our stay perfect. Can't wait to come back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Guildford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Stayed here with a friend for a two day ski weekend and it was ok. I can't really say more than that. Firstly let me say that she managed to booking so I do not blame the motel for the fact that we asked for a twin and we got a double, apparently she booked the wrong room. So after a 6 hour drive from San Francisco we arrived very late, what we got was a really small room with a queen bed (in America this is basically a double).

I was disappointed to say the least, and also that we could not actually park outside our room as someone else was in our space (to me this is one of the sole reasons to stay in a motel). Room was nicely decorated and staff were friendly (we did wake them up at 1.30am to get in) and next day they were apologetic that we had not got the room we wanted. But still I could not find it in me to really rave about this place.

Breakfast is minimal (toast and peanut butter, coffee, orange juice, cinnamon buns). Location is ok, ten minute walk to some nice bars and restaurants and bus to the mountain stops right outside the motel (which is a real plus point). Weird hot tub facing the road, not really the 'rural getaway' I was looking for.

All in all it was an OK stay, but not amazing. It is a motel that thinks it is a hotel and charges accordingly. Room was small, there was no wardrobe, just a rail, so we had nowhere to hang stuff out of the way and nowhere for ski storage (we had to keep wet boots and skis in an already small room). Friendly people and convenient location but that is about it. For the money you could get more.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Skiruninn, Owner at Alder Inn, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
This guest is very dishonest. She booked a Deluxe Queen room through a third part site and special requested a room with 2 twin beds at no extra charge. The third party company contacted her, as well as the hotel, and informed her the hotel has no such rooms and the rooms with 2 queen beds were sold out. The guest said this was okay. The two women were very difficult and overall unhappy people about everything. As we tried to appoligize the next morning to her, we were shunned as if her booking mistake was our fault. The room, #17, does have a full closet and a wardrobe with 3 full size drawers and doors, another dishonest comment from her. I can assure all future guest that our breakfast consist of more than toast and peanut butter, once again this guest has lyed about her stay. She failed to mention the oatmeal, hard boiled eggs, muffins, pastries, fruit and other items. We actually do have ski storage, the guest was just too rude to even ask about using it.Our hot tub is not weird, it is located next to our pool and surrounded by cabana beds. I suppose this guest decided to be dishonest about her stay and our motel because she did not get upgraded for free to a room that we did not have. We are very disappointed when we have a guest such as this stay at our hotel and not tell the whole truth.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

The 2.5 star rating almost put us off but the Trip Advisor reviews from others convinced me to try it. We were pleasantly surprised. The 2.5 stars are not in any way indicative of the lovely rooms and new clean bathroom and new carpeting in the room. It may be the lack of on site dining (except weekends) or no gym facilities etc. But for our purposes it suited very nicely. We just came from the Grand Hyatt in SF and this is not a 5 star hotel but I can say it is easily the best motel that I've stayed at. You won't be disappointed!

• Stayed March 2013
Carson City, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Very nice stay in South lake tahoe at the Alder inn. Our room was very clean spacious new and comfortable. The office employees very friendly and helpful. Recommended places to eat and sites to see. Will deffinately stay again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Satsuma, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

Alder Inn is very well situated in South Tahoe. This was our first time there and didn't know what to expect. When I go to New York City, San Francisco, Las Vegas, I like to be in the center of the action. Lake Tahoe I want to enjoy for the nature. Next time I will stay in a different area, like Incline. I don't mean to take away from the nicely appointed, clean rooms at Alder. I only wish it was located elsewhere on the lake. Very friendly people with nice extras in the room.

• Stayed March 2013
Skiruninn, Owner at Alder Inn, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thant you for staying with us. However, this review applies more to the city of South Lake Tahoe not the hotel. I'm sure this guest would have given the hotel 5 stars, but his review was more about what town he preferred. We strive for excellence at the Alder Inn and we are very glad you enjoyed your stay.
San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We spent 4th of July in Tahoe in 2011 and stayed at the Alder Inn. Reserving the room was so easy and enjoyable! I had some questions so I went on the website and called the number provided. The person I spoke to on the phone was so helpful and patient with all my questions. I ended up choosing the safari room and I was not disappointed. The room had so many cute little touches and was nice and clean. They definitely pay attention to the details here. We would definitely come back again.

Room Tip: Each room has a different theme!