“I regret I have stayed in this motel - very low value for money” 2 of 5 stars

Pine Cone Acre Motel
735 Emerald Bay Rd., South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150-6500   |
Ranked #53 of 70 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Qiryat Ono, Israel
“I regret I have stayed in this motel - very low value for money”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

I have arrived to this motel at Friday early afternoon, looking for accommodation for one night.
I was told that only one room (their most expensive one, probably) was left. Now I suppose this was done just to put pressure on me - the "vacancy" sign remained lit until the next morning...
Asking about that, I have received several "stories" as a reply.
Room price was $110 + tax.
This room (No. "A") is built as an hut on top of the motel office. Although large, it seems to be built by an amateur, and its accommodation is poor: Wi-Fi is available, but there is no appropriate surface to put your lap-top on (only place I could find was on the micro-wave). Shower head is at shoulder height. Windows are facing the main road, therefore room is very noisy.
Maintenance level is even worse - Shades are broken, one of the chairs is broken and really dangerous, most of light bulbs in the room are blown, shower door can hardly be opened, air-condition unit is very noisy.
In short - I would not recommend anybody to stay there - mainly because I can not trust the motel operators (they claimed they were not the owners,but I can not sure about that). In Motel 6 (one mile away) - you get a much better room in about half the price.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2010

This is a motel on a road of many such motels. It is close to S. Shore parks and beaches and Fallen Leaf lake - hiking, sailing, swimming etc. It is a very convenient location and seems to be well kept up considering its age

What it is: comfortable bed, fully functional and well-equipped kitchenette, as much hot, great pressure water as you could need.

What it is not: a 4 or 5 star resort property

We just stayed here for 5 nights and it was perfect for us. It is a little rough around the edges (old linoleum in bathroom, etc) and it might be noisy if all the units were full.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2010

What a quaint hotel that is built where the trees grow throughout the complex which makes the rustic hotel theme suit the location. The parking lot has been configured to make the most of those wonderful California Redwoods and Pine trees.

Staff is friendly and courteous and the rooms are clean and neat. There are several restaurants within very short walking distance which makes this motel an even better place to stay. It is quiet and cosy without the hustle and bustle of main street traffic.

This is our third year staying at the Pine Cone Acre Motel, and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Bay Area
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2010

It was not clean, it was not cheap and I won't be staying here again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2009

We stayed here in early June and had a very pleasant experience. The receptionist was very perky and happy to help with any request, such as the heat. We were afraid that it would be chilly at night and asked if the heaters were working. She said that the pilot lights were off on most units for the summer but would have it turned on if we needed it. Turns out, our units heater was on, but before we knew that the receptionist was knocking at our door to check it out.

Yes, the bathroom leaves a bit to be desired, but look...it's a motel... And the price is right. We are going back this weekend and look forward to another good stay.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Page Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2009

We stayed at this location for the 4th of July holiday. At check-in, the staff was extremely friendly. We talked to the owner that reminded me of a true ownership proprietor. You could tell she took pride in her offering and was giving a new employee tips on running credit cards etc. The room was a surprise. Details like little silk plants, little doo-dad artwork pieces, a very well-stocked kitchen with colorful dishes and cups/glasses and all the utensils, all added up to a great impression. The bathroom although smallish, was effective. I gave 4-stars as the toilet need a small touch-up in a tight area that most housekeeping doesn't see. I own a B&B and am the sole cleaner....I see these things. They fixed it upon request immediately. Previous reviewers most likely encountered another owner, as this ownership is obviously new and recent. They are not old and crabby! I wouldn't expect the walls to be fully sound-proofed as this establishment is true to the small cabin construction. If you want Hilton, go to Hilton. If you want something a bit more down to earth and EFFECTIVE, try this place out. It will surprise you!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2008

A queen bed and kitchenette for <$100 on Christmas weekend on the west side of SLT? Yeah, I'll definitely check it out. Except for a casino, the other rates in town are all $100 - $200+, and for what?

I reserved a one-bed + kitchen online for a ski weekend and had no problem with the reservation. The front desk staff was polite, as was the maintenance guy we met later. Didn't seem old, crazy or extremely rude to us.

The room (which was more like a small studio apt.) exceeded my expectations with a 3/4 size fridge, 4 burner stove, microwave, coffeemaker, and full compliment of dishes. Being able to cook is a big plus for me. To hell with 10$ ski lodge chili.

I didn't check to see the if the adjoining door (which are commonplace in almost all hotels) was locked. Also, our bathroom worked fine, with hot water and good pressure.

Two small gripes force me to subtract one star. First, the pilot light in the heater went out and the on-site staff, though friendly, wasn't able to light it. Luckily the maintenance guy arrived a few minutes later, resolved the issue, and showed us how to do it ourselves in case it happened again. Second, you can definitely hear what is happening around you, so either get loaded, sleep heavy, or bring some ear plugs.

I strongly recommend you stay somewhere else so I can have this room to myself.

• Liked — kitchen, price, location, service
  • Disliked — noise and heater issue
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Pine Cone Acre Motel? Share your experiences!