“Convenience and economy were the bywords.” 4 of 5 stars

Capri Motel
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   932 Stateline Ave., South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150   |
Ranked #30 of 70 hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Napa, California
“Convenience and economy were the bywords.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

Had tickets to show at Harvey's.This motel right out the back door of Harvey's.
No charge for parking. neat and clean, check-in quick and accurate.
We had large and heavy ice chest--clerk suggested we use their smaller one to carry to room. Nice breakfast choices-not large but adequate.
Pleasantly surprised by closeness to Lake Tahoe beach, 2-3 blocks.
Over all a very pleasant stay.

Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

63 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Santa Rosa, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

I usually take my daughters on an annual trip to Vegas but due to limited funds went to Tahoe instead. While they were swimming in the afternoon, all 3 of them said that they enjoyed this stay more than our last trip to Vegas. They enjoyed the clean, comfortable rooms, the relaxed environment, the friendly, accommodating managers (wonderful people), the closeness of the casinos, the access to the beach and the continental breakfast was a plus for me. I already am looking towards another trip in the fall and will be booking my rooms as soon as I can decide a date. One of my daughters is planning a trip with her friends and younger children. So glad we stumbled upon the Capri – will be coming for years to come! A five star place if you want to relax and enjoy! Thanks to the great managers

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Bishop, Ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

My friend and I stayed here as it was very convenient to Harvey's outdoor ampitheater and the price was right. The rooms are decent, the pool was clean and nice. When we left, our debit card was left in the room and Sunny called us right away and mailed it to us the same day! Thank you, Sunny!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
CENTRAL VALLEY CALIFORNIA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

We have been traveling to this little gem of a motel for over six years. We use this as our home base for South Lake Tahoe fun with friends. They has gas barbeques you can utilize a heated pool and it literally across the street from Harveys. New managers Sunny and Tom are great! They will do anything they can to ensure you have a great stay.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

Stayed here 2 nights in July 2011. From the start it was a great stay. Office is open 8am to 10pm. Arrived after midnight with no hotel reservation and 2 kids. Unfortunately, I booked at Harrah's in Reno instead of Lake Tahoe (I still don't know how I did that as I am pretty internet RSVP savvy - I do everything online). We ended up staying at Tahoe Village North Lodge the first nite around the corner. I'll do a separate review on them.

All nite I checked out TripAdvisor to find us another hotel in the Harrah's area and decided on Capri Motel. I sent off my man at 8am the next morning to snag us a room. SCORE! They even let us check in right away! By 8:15am we were out of the Tahoe Village North Lodge and in at the Capri. Don't let the older reviews scare you off. The new management is EXCELLENT. So super friendly, sociable and accommodating. Our room was very large and felt homey. Nice big, clean bathrooms with shower over tub (very important if you have little kids). No noise problems. We heard people walking above, but not enough to bother or keep us from sleeping. Never heard the family next door with kids either. Beds were comfy enough and pillows were fluffy. No hot tub, but heated pool was awesome! Not huge, but clean. Kids really enjoyed it - couldn't get them out. Towels available at the pool area were a nice convenience. Literally across the street from Harvey's back entrance. Five minute walk (3 min without kids) to Harrah's and shopping. 3 blocks to the private beach the Capri gives you a free voucher for (otherwise $20). This beach was more family friendly and less crowded than other beaches filled w/ folks chugging beers and walking around drunk. The private beach behind the Capri was much more enjoyable with my kids as other families were around instead of a partying crowd. Don't get me wrong, I like to have fun and drink too, just not in front of kids. Ha! Free internet and tons of freebies: toothpaste (crest with scope - love it!), crasins, shavers, breath right strips...loved the organic soap they provided, but bring your own shampoo. Mini fridge and a microwave in the room. Tons of cable channels! I was able to catch the Giants game and my kiddies watched cartoon network. I didn't see a hair dryer or iron, but perhaps provide upon request. Small breakfast selection offered at no charge: Oatmeal, cereal, coffee and oat bars - perfect in the AM to hold them over until late breakfast or lunch.
Our families staying at Harrah’s stopped by to check out our room and were impressed! Especially, with the size of the room and all the techies were jealous of our free internet (Harrah's charges $11 a day). The only thing I saw where they could improve would be to steam clean the room carpets. I noticed our feet and socks would be dirty after walking around a bit. I laid the bed spread on the floor for the kids to play on which worked fine, but this is something that could be remedied easily with a carpet steam cleaner.
The Capri is not a luxury hotel, but for the price, location, staff and room it is the best bang for your buck in the area. There are so many flea bag motels that charge as much and are no way comparable to the Capri. The couple who manage the hotel are responsive and extremely knowledgeable about the area. They are quick to offer suggestions and assistance - very welcoming and hospitable. We really enjoyed our stay here.

Room Tip: I would reserve before coming up, especially on a weekend. Hotels in that area seem to fill up quick...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
S. Lake Tahoe
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

It was a lot of fun! I went alone and stayed the night of the Sound garden, which was very close by. I noticed commotion, and the managers had done well at handling the situation. The night was fine overall, and the water was great! It was nice having coffee with the view of the mountain face right outside!

Room Tip: They help you get what room suits you best
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2011

I made the mistake of not reading enough reviews before reserving a room at this hotel. Upon arriving, my group noted it was excessively musty, a front window had a crack in it, there was a brown substance on the outside of the bathroom door, and one of the beds was leaning somewhat at an angle.
We should have realized how bad it was going to get.

One of the members of our group accidentally broke the window that night. We offered to pay for the replacement, attempted to clean up the broken glass, etc. One person unfortunately got a cut while cleaning up the shards. The manager's wife called the police claiming it was a domestic violence event. They determined it was a pure accident.
I happened to return to the room right before the managers's wife decided to "document" the room. I had never met her. She pushed the door open, hitting me. I closed it on her. She didn't introduce herself, nor did she knock. Since I was attempting to address the person who was cut, I really didn't feel it was appropriate to stop and figure out who hit me with the door. She called the cops claiming assault. She had us kicked out of the hotel immediately. She began to sob and behave all distressed once the police arrived. She also threatened to have my car towed from the parking lot, which due to the fact I wasn't willing to drive until I could legally do so, had to remain there. The police told her it wasn't going to be towed and she would have to leave it alone. *Yeah Tahoe Police*
During the confusion and stress of this, we unfortunately managed to lose a pair of glasses which we were unable to retrieve. The managment refused to send them to me when I called to attempt to resolve the problems the next day and refused to allow me to come back and pick them up.

Room Tip: Avoid it if you value your vacation time.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Capri Motel? Share your experiences!