“Am willing to give it another chance” 3 of 5 stars

Capri Motel
932 Stateline Ave., South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150   |
Ranked #31 of 70 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Abbotsford, Canada
“Am willing to give it another chance”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2011

Our family has stayed in the Capri for 25 years. After our visit in Aug 2009 we would never stay there again due to the sleezy manager. We were there for many years with Lee who was the greatest. In 2009 what the manager did best was make out with her boyfriend in the parking lot and allow her kids to bother us on the deck and ride their bikes around our cars. Now that we have learned there is a new manager we are willing to give it another chance. We love the area and convenience and for us it has always been clean. We have never had a problem till 2009.....hopefully the new management is more like the owners and can recognize our family has been coming for 25 years and that we usually use 5 rooms that loyalty does mean something. I will write another review after August 2011 just to let you know how the new management compares to Lee.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2011

I had the very good fortune to stay at the Capri when skiing one weekend with friends. It was quiet, cozy, clean, and very reasonable. Found the bed very comfortable, plenty of blankets, good mattress and pillows, and the room was well stocked with towels too. Loved that there was plenty of hot water too (very important at end of day after skiing especially!) Management was very friendly and welcoming, would stay there again!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2011

You can't beat the value of the Capri Hotel. I've been going there when I ski for about three years now. Yes there are places that are more fancy but the Capri is clean, the folks that run it are awesome and you can't beat the location. Walk to the casino's and the Gondola and leave your car behind. As I often say its my happy place. Tell them Ed Sent you !

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2010

We arrived Saturday night not sure we were going to stay or keep driving....we should have kept driving!
The Capri has these pluses: location is across the street from the back entrance to Harvey's, it has curb appeal, it is clean but one of our rooms had a musty odor. It does have dated decor, but I personally found the retro look cute.
The negatives: no hair dryer, flat pillows with no extras, NOISY with no policy for dealing with problem patrons. Our "frat boy" neighbors started drinking the minute they arrived, if not sooner. They were screaming at each other and off the balcony all night long. At 10, we called the resident manager and were told we would need to deal with it ourselves or call 911. We had an 89 yr old mom with us! We did ask them-ourselves-at 10pm, 12am, 4 am and 5:30 am. We slept from 12-4 because they were at the casinos and returned with extra people. They were alternately agreeable drunks or obnoxious...at any rate, not OUR responsibility. The next morning, a neighbor informed my husband "this goes on all the time." They passed out about 6am after the final fight when one of the drunks got in his car, screaming at his buddies and left after tearing a screen off the window to their room.
We do not recommend this motel to anyone unless they wish to party all night and sleep all day.....even then.....we don't recommend it based on managements' disregard for patron safety and comfort. It is the responsibility of the management to ask unruly patrons to behave and it is the responsibility of the management to call police for assistance in evicting problem patrons. We will never stay there again...there are so many other places to stay.

• Stayed September 2010
caprimanager, Manager at Capri Motel, responded to this review, February 25, 2011
Dear Guest,
We are once again under new management and I hope to improve on the problems that you have pointed out to us. I understand how frustrating it is when your neighbors are loud and disrespectful and I will attempt to discourage this behavior from this point on. Thank you for bringing this to our attention and I do hope one day you will give us another opportunity to make your experience enjoyable.
El Dorado Hills
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2010

We WILL NEVER STAY HERE AGAIN. Our family has been staying at this motel for years due to it being so close to Harvey's and the rest of the mainstream casinos. After this last visit I can promise you I not ANYONE I KNOW will ever ever stay at this motel. The MANAGER IS ABSOLUTELY CRAZY and EXTREMELY RUDE. When we first arrived we were told that the room would be $100.00 per night that gave us a nice laugh considering Harvey's was only $109.00 per night for a room twice the size. So once we told the psycho manager that she lowered the room rate to $53.00 per night. WOW isn't it amazing what people do when you call them out on trying to rip you off. So we checked in and immediately went our for dinner and gambling. We got back to our room around midnight and we were very quiet even though our family was staying next door and they were still awake. The next morning we were standing outside and my Fiance was smoking a cigarette far away from our room. I was laughing about how the sign on the hotel room door says that your will be charged $150.00 cleaning fee if you are caught smoking ANYTHING in the room. We got a good laugh out of that. While we were reading the sign the super nosy neighbors from 3 doors down were walking by and listening to our conversation. I guess they told the PSYCHO manager that we were talking about smoking in our room. LOL! that's what they get for listening in on our conversation. Next thing I know the PSYCHO manager is walking up to us and talking to us like we are 5years old saying "Did we not read the sign" I was thinking what the hell is this woman talking about cant she see my fiance is smoking 20 feet away from our room? She accused us of smoking in our room and she was downstairs and nowhere near our room so how can she ever make accusations. She was adamant that she heard from someone that heard from someone that we were smoking. WOW it really took everything I had to not knock this nut case out . I wanted to smack that smirk right off her face. Needless to say I will tell EVERYONE I know as well as every on-line review site about what a terrible experience we had and to NEVER STAY AND THE CRAPI YES CRAPI MOTEL EVER AGAIN. ATTN OWNER I THINK IT IS TIME TO GET A NEW MANAGER OR GO BANKRUPT???? GEEZ WHAT A TOUGH DECISION. I would not even give this place a half star.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
caprimanager, General Manager at Capri Motel, responded to this review, July 31, 2010
Dear Guest,
On behalf of the owners I would like to apologize for any bad experience you had at the Capri Motel. The property is now under New Management and we are making some positive changes and hope that you would consider giving us a second chance.
We are again very sorry for your bad experience.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2010 via mobile

We were accused of smoking in the room when we had not and then they charged the card 150 dollars without saying anything. We never smoked in or around the room. The manager is crazy and extremely rude. A very shady and unprofessional management makes an otherwise alright place horrible.

• Stayed May 2010
Dear Guest,
We are again very sorry for your bad experience.
San Jose
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2010

We have stayed at the Capri Motel several times and our expierence just keeps getting better and better. We love Tammy, as she is VERY helpful and friendly. She has recommended several attractions to us that have made our stay in Lake Tahoe more memorable. The rooms are very clean and comfortable.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family

Been to Capri Motel? Share your experiences!